Read this!!

PDA

GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
March 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
I unpacked an old U.S. Military surplus combination heater cook stove that run's on kerosene. It was used to heat headquarters tents and the like. Date's back to World War Two. I had bought it in the box sight unseen several years ago for exactly $100.00..Well, last night I decided to fire that sucker up and see how it done. (I use propane all the time) Hey, inside of the box, layind on top of the stove where the cook stove section is, was a Colt .31 with a 6 inch barrel. Real honest to God COLT. Just laying there, not loaded or anything. Still had plenty of grease smeared on it. No rust or anything. I checked the best I could with the papers and instructions that were inside of the box for the stove and the best I can figure that stove (and I guess the .31) were boxed up in 1944.. Eat your damn hearts out!!....

If you enjoyed reading about "Read this!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
March 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
I am eating my heart out. Congratulations! Post pics as its required to stimulate the drooling.

craneman
March 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
Some guys have all the luck. Congrats, now go buy lottery ticket. It is definately your lucky day.

March 28, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'll try Mr. Gary. I'm not much on posting pictures but I may just MAY give it a shot. My heart is still pounding. I didn't sleep much last night. I'vd got to check the gun real good. I haven't done that part of it yet. Just far enough to know it's an original and to get it cleaned up a little. I'vd got to talk to Colt. Not sure the best way to go on that but I'll find out....Hey, the stove/heater work's real good. Last night (about 0200hrs this morning) after I had calmed down a little, I fried some eggs and biscuit dough....

March 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hey!!. Not buying a lottery ticket! I figure I'vd used up about all the luck I'm due!! Want to load it and shoot it bad, but I wouldn't shoot it for a thousand dollars. Got to find out more about it. Colt will tell me....That damn heater/stove work's good. I'd be proud of it even if the gun wasn't there....

DoubleDeuce 1
March 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
You must have one huge rabbit's foot in your pocket. Time to pour yourself a cup of coffee, dish up those eggs and some biscuits, put your feet up and enjoy your good fortune.
Double check the packing. You might find a "new" old Randall Model #1 tucked away in there also. Be careful, you know those things are sharp...That would definetly call for a second cup of coffee.:cool:

black_powder_Rob
March 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
wait are you sure its a colt? I don't think it is... :uhoh: Why don't you send it to me and I will have a team get on verifying your claim:D No, ok it was worth a try. Congrats on your super cool discovery.:)

scrat
March 28, 2010, 02:25 PM
DArn you GOTC send me back my gun you can keep the other stuff.

thunder173
March 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
GREAT Find!! Let us all know how it works out!!! DO send a pic,.....and one of the stove too!!

Old Fuff
March 28, 2010, 02:40 PM
Well I for one am delighted to see that you had enough sense to take out the revolver before you fired up the stove... :neener: :D

Texas Moon
March 28, 2010, 02:52 PM
Pics or it never happened! :D

TomADC
March 28, 2010, 03:03 PM
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

hogshead
March 28, 2010, 03:22 PM
Couldnt happened to a better guy.

andrewstorm
March 28, 2010, 03:57 PM
my friends hate it when i pick.something thats worth 2,500 dollars out of the thash,but it has happend to me several times,1855 napolean 111 ring,1921 delux clock camel hand painted,in original condition,pen gun [had to return it] the cops wife threw his stuff out by the curb,spanish galeon cross while diving in florida with my kids,my daughters find actually,lifes good,

4v50 Gary
March 28, 2010, 04:54 PM
BTW, since you're talking to Colt, it's probably worth the money to get papers for it.

BHP FAN
March 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
congrats!

jimmyraythomason
March 28, 2010, 05:02 PM
I wonder how may WWII kerosene stoves you just sold for the milsurp dealers?

scrat
March 28, 2010, 05:08 PM
now where the heck do i find a WWII kerosene stove still in wrappers

arcticap
March 28, 2010, 06:02 PM
Maybe who ever packed up the stove thought that the Colt was suppose to be used to light it up...so there's really no need to return the .31! :D
Congratulations and enjoy them both! :)

scrat
March 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
GOTC where the heck did you get a WWII Kerosene stove in package still thats what i want to know. i still cant find one after a couple of hours of looking already

NCWanderer
March 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
Congrats to a deserving person!!! I'm really happy for you.!
Can't hardly wait to hear what info. Colt gives you.
NC

March 28, 2010, 08:24 PM
I 'found ' it in a dock building on the river when I was serving in New Orleans with a civilian arm of the federal government. This building and the people who own it had a contract with the U.S. Military during WW2 and also during Korea, like lot's of people down there did. They used to receive and then ship out lot's of stuff. The box was stenciled HEATER KEROSENE U.S.M.C..That's the only reason I bought it was the Marine Stenciling on it. Anyway, It had been there for years and I asked him what he wanted for it and he said 'make me an offer'. I told him I'vd give him seventy dollars for it just like it was, still in the box and without even looking. (that's saying a lot when you're talking about New Orleans and all that salt air) He said 'give me a hundred and I'll set it in the back of your truck for you'. Deal done..I'vd wagged that damn thing all over New Orleans, Alabama. Montana and back down here to Wyoming without even opening it up to see what it looked like..Hell, I live on propane back up in here..I'll try to post some pictures. Hey, this is a damn good heater and cooker. I like it a lot more than I do that damned old gun. I like the gun to but hell, it wouldn't shoot a damn bit better (maybe not as good) as one of my Uberti Colt .31's with the 4 inch barrel....Colt and I have been in contact even though it's Sunday. They are doing some looking around for me to try and find out exactly when and why and how come it came into being. I'vd also contacted the NRA and added the gun to my little bit of land and whatnot that they get when I go to heaven someday. They told me not to worry about it. The gun is mine and if anybody ever tries to come back on me about it that they'll have to deal with the NRA legal staff. That technically the gun, like my land and other stuff belong's to them now but that I just have the right to live here and use everything like it was mine until I die and then they automatically take full and complete possession of everything including full ownership and rights to all mineral deposits..I have willed everything over to the NRA so the state and federal government can't collect any tax when I die. What they call the 'death tax'. I'vd given enough to the government in my life. Taxes, my blood, and lot's and lot's of pain and pure misery. I'll just be a sonofab**** if they're going to come in after I die and start grabbing stuff like a flock of scavening buzzards....

BHP FAN
March 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
then God bless you sir,and I hope you get to enjoy the NRA's stuff for a long time before they get it.

theotherwaldo
March 28, 2010, 10:43 PM
I've found some fun stuff over the years but you, sir, have topped my best.

Congratulations!

arcticap
March 29, 2010, 01:15 AM
Deal done..I'vd wagged that damn thing all over New Orleans, Alabama. Montana and back down here to Wyoming without even opening it up to see what it looked like..

It's a curse I tell you... a wicked curse! :D

Elbert P . Suggins
March 29, 2010, 02:00 PM
GOTC, I've read your posts over time but you are the most enjoyable poster by far. Your quality and style of expressing your opinion is to be admired. You are no phony and you know what the hell you are talking about. You call people out on obvious BS but are still a gentleman about it. A civil discussion never gets past agreeing to disagree. You have lived a long life of experiances and learned lessons that many of us will never see. I live on the edge of a canyon on a dead end road 40 miles from the nearest city of 29000 which for some is a small town so I think we have some things in common. Congratulations on your great find and wish you the best. EPS

Fingers McGee
March 29, 2010, 02:04 PM
GoTC, Congrats on your great find.

Fingers

Nick5182
March 29, 2010, 02:22 PM
That reminds me of what happened to a buddy of mine. Although not as cool a find as yours. He was living in an apartment for some time, and his next door neighbors were an elderly couple. Over the years he'd gotten to know them pretty well and the older gentleman would tell my buddy about his time in WWII. After a few years of knowing them, the old man's wife passed away, and his children decided to put him into an assisted living home a few states away to be closer to them. The old man had a rented storage shed that needed to be cleaned out before he moved and he asked my friend to help him. My friend was bummed that he was leaving, and wanted to spend that time with him and to say his goodbyes and whatnot. Anyway, they go to the storage unit and start going through boxes to see what was to be kept and what couldn't. I guess they were just checking boxes and the old guy called my friend over. When he went to see what there was, he saw a WWII P38 and 1911 (not sure who made the 1911). The old man said he had brought the guns back with him, and completely forgot they existed. He asked my buddy if he wanted them, as he couldn't keep them anyway. My friend felt that it was too generous, and asked the man if his son would want them. I guess the old man said something along the lines of "He's the one that wants to put me in the (expletive deleted) home, SCREW HIM! lol, and my buddy got to keep both. It's been a few years since I talked to him, but last I knew he still had them.

pohill
March 29, 2010, 04:21 PM
That is every gun owner's dream, but do I feel an April 1st "gotcha" coming?

Schofield3
March 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
PICS!!

MattTheHat
March 29, 2010, 04:45 PM
GOTC, I don't know you sir, but I'll be darned if I'm not just about excited about your good fortune as you are! I'm guessing most of us here feel the same.

Good on ya!

-Matt

arcticap
March 29, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'vd also contacted the NRA and added the gun to my little bit of land and whatnot that they get when I go to heaven someday. They told me not to worry about it. The gun is mine and if anybody ever tries to come back on me about it that they'll have to deal with the NRA legal staff. That technically the gun, like my land and other stuff belong's to them now but that I just have the right to live here and use everything like it was mine until I die and then they automatically take full and complete possession of everything including full ownership and rights to all mineral deposits..I have willed everything over to the NRA so the state and federal government can't collect any tax when I die.

GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL,
The excerpt above didn't escape me. You're an angel and a do gooder and deserving of a great deal of admiration and applause from all of us!!!!
You certainly have mine! :)

351 WINCHESTER
March 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
When I was a kid I used to work on the waterfront. There was a partially sunken island hopper tied up to the pier. I asked permission to board her and was given a green light, but I was told that everything of value had been taken. I proceeded below and found the lockers. Inside one was a very heavy jacket and inside the pocket was a very nice brass lantern (like the ones used by the coal miners). I still have it after all those years.

After my neighbor's husband died she came over one day with a horse pistol in her hands. She was shaking as she was afraid the thing would go off. She was trying to give it to me, but I told her I could not take it for free. As far as I could tell it was a colt new service in .45 colt. It was dirty and once I cleaned it up I found out it was a 1909 army. I gave her half of what it was worth and later sold it. We were both happy.

sltm1
March 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
GOTC......Whoa boy, you musta been some kinda good in a past life!!! I don't believe in luck but I do believe in Karma, seen it happen too many times to disbelieve in the concept, so Congrat's on your find and know you deserve it!! No I'm not a Hari Krishna, just someone with a lot of miles on his years.

Pancho
March 29, 2010, 11:35 PM
GOTC, Let me add my pleasure in your good fortune. I would also add that like the rest of the guys I'd sure like to see a picture. Find some savvy youngster that can help you post it.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
March 30, 2010, 10:06 PM
Say don't you have a 1847 Walker? If so please tell me a little of the shooting of it. Did you say you shot it at 100 yds. Did you use 60 grs.
I'm asking this because I just bought one. Unfired Ubertie. Will have it Friday.

April 7, 2010, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry...I do NOT tell or teach other people how to load and shoot their guns....

If you enjoyed reading about "Read this!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!