Watch your fingers/thumbs 460 XVR

PDA

Franco
March 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
I recently bought a 460 XVR and it's a blast to shoot. I plan on plunking a few deer this fall with it. However, I also saw a youtube video where a person allegedly blasted off his thumb because it was too close to the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. I'm confirming that it's not a joke or a hoax.

I was sighting in my 460 when I decided to lean across my shooting bag for support. After shooting just 5 rounds, I smelled something burning and noticed that my shooting bag had smoldering holes burned through on either side of the gun where it was close to the cylinder gap. The bag is made of a ballistic type cloth and not easy to rip although I've never put a flame to it. However, it was very clear that the heat from the cylinder gap burned serious holes in my shooting bag. I also stood beside my 18 y/o son today at the range as he shot and I saw a shock wave and flame come out of that area like a raging inferno. Impressive but scary.

Keep your hands away from the cylinder on this gun and advise anyone shooting it to do the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Watch your fingers/thumbs 460 XVR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
March 28, 2010, 09:55 PM
Several of these incidents have been reported with the newer large caliber revolvers.

Definitely not a hoax.

NinjaFeint
March 29, 2010, 01:34 AM
Mythbusters tested this with a hand made of chicken...Not sure if that is the best analogue but you don't want to have your fingers there

UnTainted
March 29, 2010, 02:38 AM
I also lost a really nice wheat bag to my 460. I was totally :what: because it had melted. :scrutiny:

BCRider
March 29, 2010, 04:01 AM
There's a Youtube vid of a guy that for some reason used the thumbs forward semi grip on a S&W .357 Magnum. The cylinder blast cut into the end of his thumb like a surgeons scalpel. And while it was only about 1/4 inch long it was deep and stired up the inner tissues so they were sticking up through the cut in the skin. While this was certainly nothing like the pics I've seen of the alleged 460 mangling the .357 damage was enough to believe without any doubt that a .460 would do the sort of things I've seen in the pictures that said they were caused by a .460.

On a vaguely related note some of the engineers where I worked some years back were playing around with a high pressure 6000 psi hydraulic system. For some reason there was a slight leak and a very thin misty looking jet of oil was coming out of one of the fittings. One of them pointed out the leak and for some reason put the pointing finger into the stream. It sliced right to the bone like a laser cutter.

Extreme pressure gases or liquids are not to be trifled with. After all a common way to cut steel plate these days is with a simple extreme pressure water jet.

Double Naught Spy
March 29, 2010, 09:10 AM
As they say in the subway, "Mind the gap!"

RevolvingGarbage
March 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Ive done some unscientific experiments with my lowly .38 special. I wrapped a piece of paper around the gun and touched off a 125 grain Nyclad hollowpoint. I was expecting unburned powder to cause a few small holes and maybe see a little bit of burning. In fact the piece of paper was ripped apart and blown out of my hand entirely!

Be careful of where your hands are and of anyone standing near you when you fire your revolver, whether its a .500 Magnum or a .38S&W.

gwnorth
March 29, 2010, 12:33 PM
Super Hot gases being expelled from a tiny gap opening at 10's of thousands of psi = bad!

Think about it - this is the same phenomenon that causes flame cutting on top straps, so it really should not be surprising.

P.S. can't find the web site now, but there are some Schlieren photo of the blast waves produced by firing a revolver. The blast wave seen is centered on the cylinder gap, not the muzzle.

bri
March 29, 2010, 06:46 PM
here's a pic from a night time trip to the back woods, .357 magnum. Illustrates quite well that you don't really want your hand anywhere near the front of the cylinder:

http://www.wannatonka.com/pics/cabin_trips/IMG_0215_resize.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Watch your fingers/thumbs 460 XVR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!