'58 Remington Hammer

PDA

craiso
March 29, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hello all.

I recently saw a photo of a '58 Remmington with the spur (the point that makes contact with the cylinder, above the point that hits the cap) ground off of the hammer. I believe that he said in the post that he used a convertion in the gun. Why would one modify the hammer this way? Is this a modificaton that is beneficial some how?

If you enjoyed reading about "'58 Remington Hammer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcflint
March 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
I use conversions, Kirst and R&D, both in Uberti and Pietta revolvers. None of them have needed the top spur ground off the hammer face to function. That point is there to lock the cylinder between chambers as a safety of sorts, but it only aligns well with the cap & ball cylinder. It does not interfere with the function of the conversion cylinder, at least, not the two common conversion cylinder brands, in either Pietta or Uberti, even though the "safety" notch in the cylinder isn't functional when used in a CAS match, it's loaded with 5 rounds with the hammer down on an empty chamber, and should be even if used for other events or purposes. I see no "point" on removing the point...

madcratebuilder
March 30, 2010, 07:35 AM
The only possible reason I can think of for removing the hammer tip would be to not damage the conversion cylinder if you placed the hammer between chambers.

craiso
March 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The hammer looks different modified that way, but I think I will leave it alone. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "'58 Remington Hammer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!