Worst Rifle Ever?

PDA

GunsBeerFreedom
March 29, 2010, 10:35 PM
We all love to debate and argue which rifle of whatever style is the best. It's one of my favorite subjects in fact. But what about the opposite end of that question? What's the WORST rifle, in your own mind? Personal experience, historical evidence, etc. Whatever you think, I'm interested to know.

EDIT: Almost forgot, please keep it civil boys and girls. It's just the internet, and just your opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst Rifle Ever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
52grain
March 29, 2010, 10:38 PM
I don' t have any good ideas right now, I'll be interested to see what comes up.

briansmithwins
March 29, 2010, 10:42 PM
Chauchat.

BSW

Action_Can_Do
March 29, 2010, 10:43 PM
I've heard that the rifles from the first gun company to call itself Kimber were pretty bad. I've never seen one in person though.

DoubleTapDrew
March 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
I've heard the carcano was pretty poor (and part of the jfk conspiracy theory). And the french chauchat. Don't think the marines had the greatest luck with the reising.
I don't have personal experience with any of these but in my quest for firearms knowledge those are a few that pop to mind.

Nugilum
March 29, 2010, 10:49 PM
^^^ BSW beat me to it.

Thread Winner: briansmithwins with the POS Chauchat!

mgkdrgn
March 29, 2010, 10:53 PM
Chauchat.

BSW
That would be my vote

Ditch-Tiger
March 29, 2010, 10:57 PM
Personal experience; Remington 522 Viper .22LR
I think they only made it for a couple of years. I had one and can understand why.

ol' scratch
March 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
I've heard the carcano was pretty poor (and part of the jfk conspiracy theory). And the french chauchat. Don't think the marines had the greatest luck with the reising.
I don't have personal experience with any of these but in my quest for firearms knowledge those are a few that pop to mind.
I've never fired one, but my uncle has one I won't trust as a club. I did have a Mosin that was a POS. It wasn't the rifles fault. It was worn out. Everything has a shelf life.

I did have a WASR that was a piece. I couldn't hit fish in a barrel and NO it wasn't because I couldn't shoot it.

DRM
March 29, 2010, 11:30 PM
In terms of consistent inaccuracy...Mini-14...great rifles otherwise, but gawd aweful inaccurate.

Hatterasguy
March 29, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have no love for my mini 14, heck I havn't even shot it for a few years.

IMHO its a big clunky thing compared to the M1 carbine, kind of like a half a** attempt to make the M14 fire the .223 IMHO. Mine is damn near brand new and not very accurite, not very reliable, and not that great to shoot.

I'd sell it if it wasn't a gift.

Z-Michigan
March 29, 2010, 11:43 PM
Another vote for the Chauchat.

The original L85, before H&K re-engineered them, would get an honorable mention.

winchester '97
March 29, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have one to beat you all. The Garcia Bronco skeleton stock .22 long rifle. only 22 i have ever heard of being unpleasant to fire, and the 410 version is reported to be downright painful. The 22's barrel has thinner walls than my mossbergs slug barrel. Also: the mondragon rifle, because the chachat is really an lmg.
edit: Gewehr 41 was pretty awful too.

Nick5182
March 29, 2010, 11:48 PM
I love savage bolt rifles, but my brother bought a savage, don't know what model, and it's a .22LR semi-auto budget rifle (it was like 100 bucks) and it won't even get through a 10 round mag without at least 2 malfunctions.

Birddog1911
March 29, 2010, 11:50 PM
In terms of consistent inaccuracy...Mini-14...great rifles otherwise, but gawd aweful inaccurate.
Plenty of people would argue with you on that. The M1 Magazine that came out last month described a well known shooter who said that his would shoot MOA all day long. I don't own one, but it sounds more like one may be good, another garbage. I'd like one, but I can't believe that the cost more than a mid level AR these days!

Personally, I don't have a vote. But I'm interested in where this goes.

MetalHead
March 29, 2010, 11:56 PM
Individual examples of a bad gun are easy to hear of, a line of guns so badly done that all are worthless takes angry myopic beavers!

Beetle Bailey
March 30, 2010, 12:20 AM
By reputation I would say Canadian Ross Rifle of WWI or UK L85. Worst I've personally shot was an AR-7 (not made by Armalite) that would double-fire if you rested the magazine in your support hand. It was inaccurate and unreliable as well. An inaccurate, unreliable survival rifle? Dunno if it really did float, but maybe that would have been a mixed blessing in a survival situation. . .

DIM
March 30, 2010, 12:36 AM
I would say Sten and M3-the grease gun, both were cheaply made, stamped produced

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Pistolet_maszynowy_STEN%2C_Muzeum_Or%C5%82a_Bia%C5%82ego.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/M3-SMG.jpg

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 30, 2010, 01:08 AM
I'd say the AR-15. $1000 jam-o-matic that I can't even think about working on myself.

DIM
March 30, 2010, 01:17 AM
The worst one I ever had was howa 1500 then remington 597, both couldn't shoot any reasonable groups.

Ditch-Tiger
March 30, 2010, 02:23 AM
"I'd say the AR-15. $1000 jam-o-matic that I can't even think about working on myself."

Really? Seriously?
I don't even know what to say to that...

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 30, 2010, 02:41 AM
Really? Seriously?
I don't even know what to say to that...

Lol. I'm guessing you're saying you disagree. I will say that there are an awful lot of manufacturers out there making a lot of AR-15 models. Some of them are certainly junk, others are solid rifles.

I will lament the ARs enormous shadow eclipsing nearly all other autorifle development. I'd really like to see more different models of autos. Nothing against the AR, I own one, but it sure would be nice to be able to pick up a "conventional" autorifle in classic calibers. My AR is a something of a safe queen. I'm much more likely to throw my M1 Carbine behind the truck seat than my AR. It would be really sweet if I could pick up a M1 / Mini 14 size carbine in something like 250/3000 or 300 Savage or maybe one in the new .30 TC, but the AR has overwhelmed all competition.

KR

Elm Creek Smith
March 30, 2010, 02:58 AM
I would vote for the Canadian Ross since it had a nasty habit of ejecting its bolt straight back into the shooter's face.

Since Ruger changed the barrel profile on the Mini 14s a few years back, accuracy has improved greatly on them. Mine isn't a MOA rifle by any means, but neither were any of the M16A1s or M16A2s I shot in the Army. Oh, yeah, mine cost $607.00 at Walmart with a 5 round magazine. My children bought me three 20 round mags and three 30 round mags, and they all function perfectly. YMMV.

ECS

Ditch-Tiger
March 30, 2010, 03:03 AM
Kenrifleman-
Just a really broad brushstroke, you know?
There's lots of good AR manufacturers out there too. It's also one of the most popular rifles to self-build with allot of people assembling them from parts kits on their kitchen tables.
I will admit that i own 3 and might be a bit biased. as for safe queens...not all. one of mine is my designated beater. It gets pulled out for coyote duty when the weathers bad (to spare some of my nicer bolt guns) along with getting left out of the safe and not getting cleaned as often as it should...guess what though?!? It shoots minute of coyote with cheap ammo without jamming and i just swapped it from an A1 receiver to an A4 all by myself!!! :neener:

As for the AR-overdose issue...i understand, but as you know, it's all about supply and demand. And "Tacticool" is whats been selling. It'll slow down, demand will fizzle (it already has to an extent) and then maybe Rem/Brow/Benelli will come out with a new semi-auto 'hunting" firearm, who knows?

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 30, 2010, 03:06 AM
Oh come on. The AR isn't the worst. It was just too easy of an answer :D

Ditch-Tiger
March 30, 2010, 04:31 AM
Whew! Thank goodness you were joking DK.

Besides, we all know for fact that the absolute worse POS rifle ever to chamber a round, has got to be, without a doubt, the M1 Garand.
What a stupid, inaccurate, non-reliable, hideous abomination of everything that a rifle shouldn't be!

:eek:Disclaimer:eek:
I'm kidding and only picked the M1 because 99.9% of the human population [me included] loves the Garand and would find this post humerus/amusingly offensive.

C-grunt
March 30, 2010, 04:50 AM
I dont htink I or anyone I know have ever had a rifle that I would call a POS. Hell even my friends Century AR15, A2 rifle style, is accurate and reliable.

When I was 18 and dumb I had a shady gun dealer con me out of my Ruger #1 in 7mm Mag (the stock got cracked in a hunting accident and he told me it would cost more to replace than the gun was worth. My uncle sold it to me for a phenominal price of 350 bucks so I believed the dealer and sold it to him for cheap) and I ended up buying an old 8mm Mauser that had seen some serious use. Even though it looked really rough, it shot decent.

GRIZ22
March 30, 2010, 05:00 AM
Chauchat? That's a machine gun. Sten? M3 Grease Gun? Those are sub guns.

Evergreen
March 30, 2010, 05:27 AM
I'd say the AR-15. $1000 jam-o-matic that I can't even think about working on myself.

Well, if you feel so inclined, I would be happy to take those jam-o-matics off your hand. How about a trade some old rusty AKs to you that cannot hit a pumpkin at 50 yards.. :neener:

jim in Anchorage
March 30, 2010, 05:54 AM
My very first rifle, Marlin GlenField model 60 .22"semi-auto". Was basically a single shot, would jam each and every time. I hated that gun.

ol' scratch
March 30, 2010, 07:49 AM
Obviously you've never worked on one. They are the easiest rifle I have ever worked on. Who said ARs are $1000? Mine was in the $600 range. Sounds to me that you don't own one and never have, but have instead bought into the endless hype written about ARs. Let me guess, you shoot SKS's and AKs at the 50 yard line while I am at the 200 yard line shooting and HITTING my target at that range.

Edit: You got me DK. It took me a while to realize it was a joke. I'm A litle slew dis marnin' :D

Hann
March 30, 2010, 08:46 AM
Chauchat? That's a machine gun.

It has a stock and can be fired from the shoulder so I would say that automatic rifle is an accurate term, just like the Browning M1918 is an automatic rifle. It's mostly semantics, machine gun or automatic rifle are both accurate terms.

dovedescending
March 30, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evergreen, I will take all of your POS AK's for $25 each. Admit it, you're getting a deal.

Birddog1911
March 30, 2010, 09:18 AM
The one who talked about his AR-7. My dad bought me one when I was 11; a Charter Arms. That thing ran great, and was reseaonably accurate. Too bad the Armalite wasn't nearly as good.

oneounceload
March 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
Ruger 10/22 - inaccurate barrel, lousy trigger, no bolt hold open, poorly finished.

Anytime you have to buy a gun, strip it down and replace basically everything to get something that shoots well, then it deserves that moniker

CoRoMo
March 30, 2010, 09:48 AM
...my brother bought a savage, don't know what model, and it's a .22LR semi-auto budget rifle (it was like 100 bucks) and it won't even get through a 10 round mag without at least 2 malfunctions.

I'm not your brother, but I have that rifle. It is certainly a heap, but I've been able to get mine running like a top. Not quite worth the attention you have to give it to keep it running though.

rswartsell
March 30, 2010, 09:54 AM
As previously stated, the Ross, by a wide margin.

Snakum
March 30, 2010, 10:16 AM
This oughta be good. :D

Everyone has heard of at least one complete POS in every model of every brand out there.

aka108
March 30, 2010, 10:25 AM
Anything that had Ruger stamped on it. Didn't matter whether it was a centerfire rifle, semi auto rifle, rf rifle or handgun. Bought some earlier on thinking maybe the next one will be more accurate. Now they were all pretty and stuff but suffered in the accuracy department. Finall sold ea. and every one of them.

MachIVshooter
March 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
Remington 522 Viper .22LR

I've had one for 15 years, and it's been a good little rifle. Accurate, reliable and weighs only 4-1/2 pounds. Not the prettiest thing, but I personally find it more appealing than the chunky 10/22, of which I've found more inaccurate and unreliable factory models than any other common rimfire auto.

I'll also have to disagree with the Carcano statement. The rifles work just fine, feeding problems are caused by worn out en-block clips that have been used and reused for 70+ years. Accuracy is similar to other old military bolt guns, the actions are fast and reasonably smooth (not Schmidt-Rubin smooth, but much better than a Mosin), and they load faster and with less effort than any stripper clip design. The biggest drawback is fairly anemic chamberings, more on par with the .30-30 than in the league of other 30-06 class WWII cartridges of other nations. But the long, heavy bullets of the 6.5x52mm are very stabile and had an ability to penetrate that was disproportionate to the energy produced. So if any of you happen to have any of these "terrible" rifles taking up space in your collection, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. I only have four, I'm still missing many variants.

My vote for worst rifle is the Calico M-100. Neat looking, with a novel magazine concept. But cheaply built and I doubt anyone has ever emptied a mag without at least 3 or 4 jams. Mine mostly just sat in the back of the safe until I sold it a couple years back. Heck, maybe the Spaceballs would have conquered Druidia if they'd chosen AR's instead.

Robert
March 30, 2010, 10:46 AM
Ak47. Seriously. Sub par accuracy, horrible ergonomics, bad sights and overstated reliability.

leathermanwave
March 30, 2010, 12:59 PM
My vote goes for the bubba-sized arisaka that I picked up for $50, a box of ammo would cost almost as much as the rifle, it is a smooth-bore, and it is a cock on closing bolt. It just sits there looking ugly.

briansmithwins
March 30, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ak47. Seriously. Sub par accuracy, horrible ergonomics, bad sights and overstated reliability.

Yah, with only 50 million made and with a basic design that still in production after 60 years, it's an obvious failure.

BSW

stork
March 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
Definitely my very first rifle. A 6.5 Carcano. Cost me a whole $18 and that was $17.98 too much. I gave up trying to get a group at 100 yards, 4 of 5 rounds went in sideways and it maybe grouped 18".

FWIW

winchester '97
March 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
I still say the mondragon rifle. horrible accuracy, the germans in WW1 only counted rounds that were more than 6 inches away from the center of a target misses, and it made the chauchat seem like an AK when it came to reliability. Also just about anything from the kyber pass.

Robert
March 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
Yah, with only 50 million made and with a basic design that still in production after 60 years, it's an obvious failure.
Making lots and lots of crap is still making crap. Communism is not know for it's cutting edge technology, or even good ideas for that matter. That would be like the US still using the 1903 or M1 Garand. Both great rifles, more accurate than an AK and vastly better ergonomics. Reliability is better on the 1903 and M1 as well. Stating that a rifle has been in service for 60 years does not make it a good rifle. Having a rifle in service for 60 years means that either your country sucks and development or that it is not willing to accept that better rifles have since been invented. Or both. One could say the same thing based on the age of the AR platform. It is an older design that may need to be replaced. But the simple fact of the matter is that the AR is far more accurate and is slowly, I mean really really slowly, being replaced. And no I do not own and AR. And this thread is entirely based on opinion as there is no real way to say that one is the greatest ever and one is the worst ever. So even though 50 million were made that means that there are 50 million rifles out there with sub par accuracy, horrible ergonomics, bad sights and overstated reliability.

Nick5182
March 30, 2010, 01:57 PM
Anything that had Ruger stamped on it. Didn't matter whether it was a centerfire rifle, semi auto rifle, rf rifle or handgun. Bought some earlier on thinking maybe the next one will be more accurate. Now they were all pretty and stuff but suffered in the accuracy department. Finall sold ea. and every one of them.

I've always had great luck with ruger. Anything and everything Ruger that I've fired has been reliable and very accurate.

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 30, 2010, 01:59 PM
Really guys? Really? An entire page later and no one realizes the AR things was a joke?

rattletrap1970
March 30, 2010, 02:04 PM
I had an Egyptian Hakim in 8mm. Couldn't get that thing to hit the side of a barn at 50 yards. It damn near bent shells in half ejecting them (would hit the bolt handle). We used to zip tie fuel hose to the handle to cushion it. I wish I had the rifle now though, I'm pretty confident with what I have learned about reloading in the last 20 years, I could make it shoot now.

nhm16
March 30, 2010, 02:05 PM
Really guys? Really? An entire page later and no one realizes the AR things was a joke?
To convey humor on an internet message board you have to include this image:

http://www.wallpapersweb.com/images/4/8496.jpg

briansmithwins
March 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Making lots and lots of crap is still making crap. Communism is not know for it's cutting edge technology, or even good ideas for that matter. That would be like the US still using the 1903 or M1 Garand. Both great rifles, more accurate than an AK and vastly better ergonomics. Reliability is better on the 1903 and M1 as well. Stating that a rifle has been in service for 60 years does not make it a good rifle. Having a rifle in service for 60 years means that either your country sucks and development or that it is not willing to accept that better rifles have since been invented. Or both. One could say the same thing based on the age of the AR platform. It is an older design that may need to be replaced. But the simple fact of the matter is that the AR is far more accurate and is slowly, I mean really really slowly, being replaced. And no I do not own and AR. And this thread is entirely based on opinion as there is no real way to say that one is the greatest ever and one is the worst ever. So even though 50 million were made that means that there are 50 million rifles out there with sub par accuracy, horrible ergonomics, bad sights and overstated reliability.

I guess we'll have to disagree than. I've been shooting my Aks at local matches and doing ok. I usually come in in the top 1/3rd of shooters.

4MOA accuracy is still good enough to hit 12” plate at 300 yards, which is a common target at the matches I shoot. The sights are very fast close up and usual out at longish range (300 yards or so) too. Not target sights but the AK ain't a target rifle.

As for ergonomics, if you run an AK like an Garand, it's just fine. charging handle is in the same place, Mag release is in the same place, the safety is different but that's more than made up for by the AK's 30 round mag as opposed to the Garand's 8 round clip.

Reliability? You really want to argue that there is a more reliable rifle in crappy conditions when used by illiterate peasants to whom a steel hoe is high tech? Which rifle would you argue is more reliable in real world conditions? Will an AK fail is abused too much? Sure. But so will anything made by men.

BSW

Robert
March 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
Brian,
We do disagree, but that is fine. I am happy to hear that yours runs great for you. I can only speak to what I have seen. And yes anything will fail if abused.
illiterate peasants to whom a steel hoe is high tech?
Man that is some funny stuff. Honorable men can disagree. And again I am glad yours works great for you. For the record I am a FAL guy, so I really don't mind all the AR or AK stuff. I just rock along and smile at the all the odd looks I get.

JWF III
March 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'd say the AR-15. $1000 jam-o-matic

The one that I USED to own, definently falls into that category. (Though it wasn't $1k. It was $400, but that was the late 80s, when the Colts were ~$600.) It ruined me on the design. Haven't owned one for going on 20 years now. Never looked back, and don't regret getting rid of it.

Wyman

gunsandreligion
March 30, 2010, 04:23 PM
Ak47. Seriously. Sub par accuracy, horrible ergonomics, bad sights and overstated reliability. I'm sure there's alot of people who would disagree...excepet they cant becouse of a ak-47. and ergonomics are what You like, not others.

2Ais4U
March 30, 2010, 04:30 PM
Anything m4 ar15 or m16 pretty much takes this cake.

Robert
March 30, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm sure there's alot of people who would disagree...excepet they cant becouse of a ak-47. and ergonomics are what You like, not others.
And they are welcome to disagree all they want. It is my opinion and does not have to matter to anyone other than myself. My opinion is no more right or wrong than the opinion of someone who feels the AR platform is the worst ever. The whole thing is very subjective.

Moon
March 30, 2010, 06:37 PM
Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine

the Ruger 77 Mark II that I purchased in 2001

Both of these guns are the worst ever made for exactly the same reason: horrible accuracy. I would have had better luck throwing those rifles at the target.

Dookie
March 30, 2010, 06:48 PM
Marlin 88 22lr. worst designed semi auto ever made. Horribly complicated, never reliable. Whoever designed it must have been some type of evil engineer bent on screwing with people.

jkingrph
March 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
Chauchat? That's a machine gun. Sten? M3 Grease Gun? Those are sub guns.

Beat me too it, I thought the thread was about worst "rifle"!!

XxWINxX94
March 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
I really wanted to put my say-so in this thread. However, after looking through pictures of my gun collection and trying to recall shooting each one, I have to say that I don't own any bad rifles. :neener:

Pistols are a different story, haha.

I will say that those semi-auto french MLE: 36/41 (or whatever its called) converted to .308, are complete crap. I've heard stories of guys having to wax the brass, use their feet to "kick-start" the charging handle, and just bad stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what I heard.

Dunkelheit
March 30, 2010, 07:15 PM
The worst rifle ive ever shot was a Norinco M305.

bearmgc
March 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
Remington 710.

KBintheSLC
March 30, 2010, 07:24 PM
The worst rifle I have seen was a butchered, commie-state compliant pump action AK mutant. It had welded barrel threads, a homemade stock, and a permanently attached mag. I don't even know if it was real or some sort of sick joke. Looking at it was like watching your dog get neutered. The funny thing is that the gun was still capable of mayhem just the same... it just didn't look like it.

Al LaVodka
March 30, 2010, 09:50 PM
Its the friggin' painted pot-metal and plastic Daisy .22 LR!
All you need to do is pick it up and be afraid, be very afraid.
Al

FTSESQ
March 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
The Chauchat. Was allegedly the worst machine gun ever issued to a soldier.

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine

That surprises me. I've owned a half dozen Enfield variants, all decent rifles, but my favorite of the lot was the Jungle Carbine. It was easily the most accurate of the bunch, and the little cone-shaped flash suppressor worked better than any other design I've seen yet (much to my surprise!).

Like they say, YMMV. Maybe we should modify that to EMWV - everyone's mileage will vary :)

KR

HOWARD J
March 31, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have an M-1 carbine converted to 9MM by Iver Johnson co.
Receiver made by Johnson---would never fire properly from day one---it used extended-
P-35 mag. What a piece of junk.

palmettopatriot
March 31, 2010, 12:50 AM
What was that rifle invented by a Scot that the Canadians used for a while that was REALLY dangerous and used to literally blow people's faces off? The name escapes me right now. I just can't remember the name of the inventor. the _something_ rifle. Anyway, it was junk.

Levi

NG VI
March 31, 2010, 01:03 AM
The Ross I believe.

palmettopatriot
March 31, 2010, 01:12 AM
Yes, the Ross. I got back on this thread because I just remembered the guy's name and saw you already replied. Thanks. He spent the rest of his life in infamy and died penniless. Kind of sad because may people who know him say he was not ill intentioned.

Levi

rondog
March 31, 2010, 01:19 AM
I loves my Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine!

But I also have one of these, got it as a kid, and it's a genuine turd. Can't recall the name of it, it's broken now but it never would hit squat. Single-shot .22.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/skeleton22rifle-1.jpg

Al LaVodka
March 31, 2010, 08:43 AM
Dude;
What's with all the white stains on your bedspread!?

Everyone else;
This is a rifle thread and the AK is a cheap 16" pistol with a stock and forearm. There ARE longer barreled versions and they... are cheap longer barreled pistols that the po' ComBlock crowd get insanely defensive of too.

Finally, assemble you Ross straightpull correctly and you won't have any problems.

Al

natman
March 31, 2010, 08:58 AM
I loves my Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine!

But I also have one of these, got it as a kid, and it's a genuine turd. Can't recall the name of it, it's broken now but it never would hit squat. Single-shot .22.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/skeleton22rifle-1.jpg
Garcia Bronco.

Sav .250
March 31, 2010, 09:09 AM
For me is was a Winchester 100 in 308 cal. Shot lousy and weighted a ton..
Traded it back to my brother....:)

GunsBeerFreedom
March 31, 2010, 01:30 PM
Wow. I'm either really lucky or haven't been buying guns long enough. I've never had a lemon of any sort. Sure, some of my Mosins aren't the best, but they shoot nice enough and work as well as I could expect (sticky bolt is the only problem).

cleardiddion
March 31, 2010, 02:41 PM
Remington 522r Viper hands down.
Worst gun I ever owned.

H&Hhunter
March 31, 2010, 02:51 PM
Another vote for the Remington model 710. The worst piece of junk to ever be regurgitated onto the American gun market.

rondog
March 31, 2010, 02:52 PM
Dude;
What's with all the white stains on your bedspread!?

Not my photos, found 'em on the net. My bedspread is covered with Beagle hair.

Garcia Bronco, thanks natman! I'm going to have to make a name tag to tie onto the p.o.s. so I can remember what it is. My brother gave it to me, he has a .410 just like it that kicks like a mule.

readr1
March 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
My vote goes for the....

Wait for it...

Wait for it......

The Asperly Aimless!

winchester '97
March 31, 2010, 03:56 PM
finally found a good write up on the mondragon: http://www.cruffler.com/historic-february01.html

also the Gewehr 41: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_41
it actually uses a ring piston that surrounds the barrel and runs on muzzle blast. now imagine it with WW2 ere corrosive 8mm.......

Zerodefect
March 31, 2010, 05:15 PM
Vulcan
Hesse

Rollerbob
March 31, 2010, 06:20 PM
The worst gun I've had personal experience with would be the Remington 770. The bolt jiggles, even when in battery. The barrel is a complete POS too. I'd take a beat up, spray painted, rusty bore'd Mosin Nagant over a brand new 770 any day.

chevyforlife21
March 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
the red ryder was a terrible gun i cant make it kill a buck.

coosbaycreep
March 31, 2010, 07:45 PM
The biggest piece of crap rifle I've ever owned was a feather At-22 carbine. It did look cool though.

gunsandreligion
March 31, 2010, 08:17 PM
And they are welcome to disagree all they want. It is my opinion and does not have to matter to anyone other than myselfI was implying that they were shot with one.

garyhan
March 31, 2010, 11:39 PM
AR 7 by Charter Arms. three or four jams every 7 shot clip. Two inch groups at 25 feet. Bore so rough you could never get it clean.

gary

Quoheleth
March 31, 2010, 11:51 PM
I'm going to need some help putting a name with this, but there was a rifle mentioned in the February AMERICAN RIFLEMAN that was literally a death-trap. It was a semi-automatic rotary bolt (IIRC) that did not lock up sufficiently every time resulting in a bolt flying rearward into the eye cavity of the shooter.

I looked but I gave that issue to one of my shut-ins at church and can't recall the name off the top of my head.

The rifle mentioned in AR even had a tag on it identifying it as unsafe, having actually driven the bolt into the eye/face of the shooter.

Anyone help me ID this thing?

Q

fireman 9731
March 31, 2010, 11:58 PM
The Arisaka rifles were down-right turds. Taller than the men shooting them, a gangly monopod, rattly dust cover, and sights designed to shoot airplanes... Japanese innovation at its best. But then again, Japan viewed its soldiers as its weapons, not its guns.

The Mossberg plinkster is pot-metal junk.

I don't have much love for the mini-14 either.

I'm not impressed by ARs... and probably wont ever own one either.

thisguy1157
April 1, 2010, 12:08 AM
Quoheleth, I remember seeing what your talking about, though I did page through the Feb issue & couldnt find it. But I think that it was that particular specimen of rifle, not all of them

WardenWolf
April 1, 2010, 12:19 AM
The Arisaka rifles were down-right turds. Taller than the men shooting them, a gangly monopod, rattly dust cover, and sights designed to shoot airplanes... Japanese innovation at its best. But then again, Japan viewed its soldiers as its weapons, not its guns.

Umm, excuse me? I own an Arisaka 99 rifle, and I would certainly NOT call it a turd. My grandfather picked it up on Okinawa. To this day, it remains a very solid, very accurate shooter. Some of its accessories, like the dust cover, may have not been the best, but soldiers could and often did remove them. The rifles themselves, though, were rock solid and equal to any other bolt action rifle fielded in World War II. Don't compare the "last ditch" rifles with the true Arisakas. Before you call a rifle a turd, perhaps you should have some idea of what you're talking about.

Stevens Model 73 is a piece of trash. It's a single shot, bolt-action .22LR. Worst hammer and spring design I think I've ever seen. The way the barrel attaches to the receiver is a hideous joke. The only thing that keeps it from rotating freely is a single screw through the stock, and then only if it's tight. By its design, you'd THINK the barrel could easily be removed entirely, but nope, not unless you have a vise. Crappy extractor. I put a LOT of work into cleaning one up, and have yet to shoot it to see if my efforts in removing tons of lead fouling in the action made it even usable. Worst. rifle. EVER. Only real reason I put any effort into it is to see how quiet it is with .22 Shorts. If it's as quiet as I've read, I may have a new option for killing rattlesnakes.

chevyforlife21
April 1, 2010, 12:30 AM
springfield 944 shotguns if it counts. most of them have cracked recievers

ROGER4314
April 1, 2010, 12:35 AM
There can only be one worst. The Italian Carcano is absolutely the worst POS ever made. Along with that crude, short barrel rifle came its rounded tip, elongated bullet. According to legend, Lee Oswald made rapid fire shots at moving targets, downhill in extreme stress with that rifle and ammo. Nonsense!

Flash

stubbicatt
April 1, 2010, 09:01 PM
Howabout that nylon 22 semi auto that Remington made a few years back?

SlamFire1
April 1, 2010, 10:04 PM
You can look at Vol 2 of the Bolt Action by Stuart Otteson.

He examines a number of low production bolt rifles that were failures. These are typically things built by someone with a "good" idea, but the designer/owner did not have enough cash to throughly test his concept.So it failed.

Most of us will never see a Newton rifle, a Schultz and Larsen M54J, a Ranger Arms, and Omega III. These were all low production and died a quick death.

Truly the worst rifle made in quantity was the interrupted thread Ross. The Canadians built 400,000 of the things. Not only was it possible to assemble the bolt incorrectly, the bolt stop impact deformed the locking lugs. The first defect would blow the bolt through the user's head, the second would jam the rifle.

Art Eatman
April 2, 2010, 12:15 AM
Quoholeth, maybe the Ross? I think it's already been mentioned.

FWIW, the Arisaka is one of the strongest bolt-action rifles ever made. They've survived having wrong cartridges with bullets larger than the bore shot through them, without failure.

rangerruck
April 2, 2010, 12:52 AM
the new remmy 770's, look pretty bad, though they can hold a 3 shot group.
Allthough I hear the new savage low end line will give them a run for their money for badness...

Wheeler44
April 2, 2010, 01:03 AM
The Mossberg plinkster is pot-metal junk.That runs like a Singer sewing machine...and my own has suffered much abuse as an Appleseed loaner...It's helped quite a few folks find their inner Rifleman.

oz_lowrider
April 2, 2010, 03:49 AM
My vote would have to be the carcano also. Did hear it was good as reinforce in concrete though. Went pig shooting with a bloke who had one, after one shot and the flames and smoke had gone, everything else was gone as well. Shocking rifle. :D

Mp7
April 2, 2010, 04:20 AM
whatever the french army carried in WW2 :-)

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/French_Army

sterling180
April 5, 2010, 12:59 PM
The Canadian Ross rifles& The French Lebels,I've heard aren't very popular or reliable.The Lebel,I've yet to test.Only heard this by word of mouth,by older shooters.

Odd Job
April 5, 2010, 01:20 PM
AR7: didn't like it at all

millertyme
April 5, 2010, 02:23 PM
I don't understand the 10/22 hate. Mine has never once failed to fire and eject any amunition i've ran through it, from CCI Stingers to some oddball 50 year old stuff my dad found in my grandpa's shop after he died. I don't try to put after market magazines in it since I hear all sorts of problems that they precipitate, and I can chew dimes out of trgets all day long at 50 yards. 55 years of manufacturing and over 5 million sold - not a bad record.

sprice
April 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
no rifle

H&Hhunter
April 5, 2010, 07:21 PM
The new H&H royal grade double rifles. You get so little for your $150,000 now days.

semperfi63
April 5, 2010, 10:44 PM
so I always heard the krag-jorgensen was a terrible rifle. Anyone want to donate one to me for evaluation?

WardenWolf
April 5, 2010, 11:44 PM
so I always heard the krag-jorgensen was a terrible rifle. Anyone want to donate one to me for evaluation?

Krags were all right for their time. The problem is that metallurgy back then wasn't nearly as good as it was just 20 years later, and the commonly-available .30-40 ammunition also became much more powerful due to commercial loadings for civilian rifles in this caliber. This is particularly true with the steel in the American-made Krags. As a result, you have to be very careful with shooting modern ammo through one of these rifles because there is the potential of the bolt lugs failing, propelling the bolt rearward with great force. They were and are still good guns, but you need to recognize and respect their weaknesses.

rondog
April 6, 2010, 03:00 AM
I don't understand the 10/22 hate. Mine has never once failed to fire and eject any amunition i've ran through it, from CCI Stingers to some oddball 50 year old stuff my dad found in my grandpa's shop after he died. I don't try to put after market magazines in it since I hear all sorts of problems that they precipitate, and I can chew dimes out of trgets all day long at 50 yards. 55 years of manufacturing and over 5 million sold - not a bad record.

I have two of them. Give you 10 minutes with either of mine and you'll understand the hate.

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
April 6, 2010, 04:34 AM
anything with "California Legal" in the description

Odd Job
April 6, 2010, 06:50 AM
The new H&H royal grade double rifles. You get so little for your $150,000 now days.

That's damn funny! Somewhere there is a stately gentleman with his whiskers almost dangling in his Earl Grey tea, scoffing at such a remark. "One does not pooh pooh such refinements, old bean. If one has to ask the price, one is surely not in the market for a fine rifle."

Hunterdad
April 6, 2010, 08:23 AM
Ross Sporting Rifle. Apparently the bolt had a tendency to rip half your face off when you fired it.

Quoheleth
April 6, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yep - it was the Ross. I was searching American Rifleman under the semi-auto category --- which is why I wasn't finding it.

Thanks for the direction to look. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2136&cid=3

The rifle in question carries a tag which reads:
"Very Dangerous. Given to me by Ross in 1915 - fired by my guide Pete Nordquist at a Grizzly in the Teton Range - the bolt shot out backwards and tore the side of his face away from the mouth to the ear - the bolt was picked up 20 yards back. I reported this and all later models had different bolt action - as several other people had same accident. .280 Ross Rifle N. Whitehouse.

Q

HOWARD J
April 6, 2010, 12:05 PM
I had a Remington 700 in 6MM Rem---it was a good looking rifle & a great shooter--very accurate w/ my 3-9 scope & it took a lot of deer.
It was made prior to 1982 & was one of the Remingtons with a safety defect.It was something like touching the bolt handle on a loaded chamber & taking off the safety-the gun would fire.
It happened to me only once---I always thought I did something wrong until I found that the gun was defective. Remington never made a recall on this problem & had the gall to charge you if you sent the gun back.
I sold mine to a gunsmith when I found out.
The bean counters were busy--we will never know if anyone was killed !!!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 6, 2010, 06:26 PM
Of those I've owned: Mitchell Arms .22 mag turnbolt

Of those I've shot: AR-7 or Mini-14

Of those I've not handled: Gotta go with that Daisy .22 or the Ross rifle or the Chauchaut. Machine guns are a subset of rifles, so they are in fact rifles, too. Evidently, the Mossberg rifles can also "pull a Ross" on your face.

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst Rifle Ever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!