Advice for .22 semi-auto

PDA

JFtheGR8
March 30, 2010, 09:16 AM
I would like to buy a good semi-auto .22 but have less than $200 to spend. I have read many posts about the Marlin model 60 and am leaning that direction. Keeping reliability in mind what would you all recommend? Sorry to re-hash this topic but it is always good to get a more relevant perspective in the here and now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice for .22 semi-auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dookie
March 30, 2010, 09:31 AM
Marlin 60 or 10/22. Depends on if you like tube fed or detachable box mag. Both are superb guns.

jmorris
March 30, 2010, 09:34 AM
I think the 60 I have was less than $70 from Kmart. If you keep it clean it runs fine.

CajunBass
March 30, 2010, 09:35 AM
Marlin 60 or 10/22. Depends on if you like tube fed or detachable box mag. Both are superb guns.

That about sums it up IMHO. You could add the Remington 597 in there too.

Marlin 45 carbine
March 30, 2010, 11:56 AM
some years back I took a Marlin 60 long barrel in as part payment on some welding I'd done. appeared to have perfect bore but never cleaned. sold it to a nephew that made a 'project' out of it. took it down as far as practical and cleaned well and out it back together good and snug and mounted a Burris 4X. that thing shoots lots better than a rifle that price has a right to. likes the mini-mags.

winchester '97
March 30, 2010, 03:27 PM
My marlin 60 outshoots every stock 10/22 it meets, it also doesnt feel like a clunky POS, unlike the ruger. just dont feed it remington golden bullet and it wont jam unless it gets ungodly filthy, your usually good for 3-500 rounds before it starts to act up, mine goes about 600. The secret to marlin rifles is the micro groove barrel, almost no bullet deformation and a perfect gas seal, plus no real place for fouling to build up. A waring though: if you put tech sights on it you may start to neglect your other guns :D. Their clip fed model is the exact same gun as the 60 as far as i can tell, just a different feed system, which covers the only advantage ruger has over the 60.

ArmedBear
March 30, 2010, 03:41 PM
that thing shoots lots better than a rifle that price has a right to. likes the mini-mags.

I have a recent one that is the same on both counts.

My marlin 60 outshoots every stock 10/22 it meets

Ditto again. I sold my 10/22 after I found myself reaching for the Marlin instead, 100% of the time.

JFtheGR8
March 30, 2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks to all. I just went and paid for the Marlin. I pick it up tomorrow.

22-rimfire
March 30, 2010, 05:06 PM
Good choice. You should be happy with the Marlin M60. I would be.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice for .22 semi-auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!