Advice for a new big bore blaster...

PDA

LRS_Ranger
March 30, 2010, 10:41 PM
Well, the army paid me $1100 bucks extra this month, (huzza) so I want to fill a longstanding desire. A big freaking hand cannon! I've been looking at the 6 inch Raging Bull in 454; is there a better option? Looked at the smith as well, but I really like the heavy barrel no-nonsense look of the Taurus. I only have one wheelgun in .357, a ruger SP101. Help me choose my new toy! I will most likely be posting a wanted when I decide what I want as well, so please feel free to PM me if you have some hardware you want to get rid of. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice for a new big bore blaster..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RidgwayCO
March 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
It's hard to find more recoil than is readily on-tap with either the .500 S&W Magnum or the .460 S&W Magnum. From what I understand, they make the .454 Casull look puny...

22-rimfire
March 30, 2010, 11:51 PM
If I had $1100 to blow, I'd look for a Freedom Arms revolver in 480 Ruger/475 Linebaugh and then start reloading after you get your whistle wet. The BFR's have a very good reputation for accuracy also if you want something cheaper.

bad4dr
March 30, 2010, 11:56 PM
If the Army is anything like the Air Force, they giveth and then they taketh away. If you mistakenly got overpaid $1100, you may wanna hang onto it until they realize they screwed up and they take it away from you next month.

However comma, if it's a bonus owed to you, then go nuts. If it were me, I'd go with the .460. That way you can shoot .45LC and .454 Casull as well, but you can still load up the .460 Buffalo Bore thumpers and get 1900 fps with a 360-grain bullet.

FoMoGo
March 31, 2010, 12:18 AM
S&W 500ES... nuff said.

Jim

ljnowell
March 31, 2010, 12:31 AM
BFR in 500 mag.

vtbluegrass
March 31, 2010, 01:37 AM
I would vote down a BFR(this frame design makes recoil worse IMO). I would go with a S&W X-frame or a Super Redhawk, both are simply classier guns than the Taurus. The Casull and the 460 are the best choices because you can shoot Colt in them if you so desire. If you want to just have it to shoot once in awhile and maybe hunt but definitely want to say look at this big honking thing go with the 500.

Remember to save money to feed those things. You are talking premium rifle ammo prices per box of 20.

jmortimer
March 31, 2010, 02:19 AM
A Ruger Redhawk, Super Redhawk, or even Super Blackhawk. All of these are built like tanks. I've owned a couple Taurus revolvers and more than a couple Rugers. Get a Ruger. Take about 2/3 of your $$$ get the Ruger and get some reloading equipment with the rest or at least buy as much ammunition as you can as the cost of ammunition for the calibers you are considering is significant. The Smiths are a good choice as well and as recommended I would go .454 or .460 so you can shoot the .45 Colt. In the end even the Redhawk in .45 Colt can shoot some serious pre-expanded bullets - 325 grain LBT LFN at 1,300 plus fps and around 1,300 foot pounds of energy is a whole lot of gun. For me the .45 Colt is the ultimate caliber of all.

Oro
March 31, 2010, 03:03 AM
Well, I'd also say don't under-rate the .44 magnum. It does a heck of a number on it's own, and $1k will offer you WIDE pickings among classic used and also new S&W's and Rugers. It's a ton cheaper to shoot than the others, and if after playing with it for a while you still feel the need for a .460 or .500, well, they will always be there.

BCRider
March 31, 2010, 04:31 AM
If the .44Mag isn't big enough for ya then the .460 is the way to go. More flexibility for ammo types from mild to wild. From there it's just a question of the barrel length to go for. On that front the medium length 6'ish inch barrel puts out a really big fireball when using the right powders. Those being H110 or 2400. And since this is a gun that just begs for the custom recipes only available to reloaders you'll want to get set up for reloading even if it's just on a small scale to feed the rifles and your new hand cannon.

W.E.G.
March 31, 2010, 11:45 AM
.44 magnum if you actually plan to shoot it much.

Four-inch barrel if you plan to ever carry it.

Anything bigger gets old real fast after the first box of ammo.

Something like this would be a gun you would actually shoot, and want to keep.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162243518

Don't forget to get a really nice holster.

batmann
March 31, 2010, 11:52 AM
I second the .44M. If you can find one, get a Ruger Super Redhawk. Reliable, strong and, if you so desire, they also come in .454C
I have found that most handgunners can shoot a .44M (with the right gun) pretty well, but when you start getting in the .454C and over calibers, the fun stops pretty quickly and the expense goes up in proportion to the lack of fun.

Vern Humphrey
March 31, 2010, 12:01 PM
My choice is here:

RUGER BLACKHAWK .45 COLT - 4 5/8-INCH - MADE IN 1981 - EXCELLENT ! (GA Number: 924438248)
Ruger Single Action Revolvers > Blackhawk Type
Ruger New Model Blackhawk .45 Long Colt, 4 5/8-inch barrel; made in 1981 (serial no. range 46-69xxx); excellent original condition. VISA/MC(add 3%), m ...(read more)

Seller: Vintage Sporting (FFL Dealer) $375.00

You can have this gun shipped to the Rod and Gun Club on post -- get a signed copy of the R&G FFL license to send with your order. And you will have enough left over to buy a reloading set up and all the components you want.

captain awesome
March 31, 2010, 12:40 PM
my suggestion is either a 500s&w mag or a 460s&w mag. bot are extremely powerful revolvers. 460 can get you a higher velocity, is very versatile and has a longer range than any other hand gun save some of the contenders. If you want the all out biggest bore baddest powerhouse go with the 500. I have the 500 and plan to get a 460 soon as I have the extra money. The 500 is a thrill, I love it. I have never messed with the taurus 500 or 454, but from what I understand they are pretty good, but if you see the smith x frames, they are definitely no nonsense guns. Also you could get a performance center smith, a very fine gun. BFR's are pretty cool too if you want a single action, and they make a wide range of calibers for them. You also might think about a 450marlin or 45/70 in the bfr. What ever you end up choosing, we want pics! Here is mine;

http://www.captain-squeegee.com/beforeafter0282.jpg
one of my favorite pics:D

Nushif
March 31, 2010, 12:47 PM
For style and big booms, I'd say get a nice Dirty Harry gun and the most powerful ammo you can find.
Or get a .50 Desert Eagle ... those are some stylish pieces of art, too.

Action_Can_Do
April 1, 2010, 03:41 AM
The Raging Bull is a sweet gun. I really like mine, and from what I've seen it holds up to full power 454 loads better than the super redhawk. The 500 and 460 S&W are nice guns too, but you pay out the teeth for them.

Stainz
April 1, 2010, 09:51 AM
I bought an early 7.5" .454 Casull SRH, due to the excessive engineering it represented. I was fortunate enough to have A-B'ed it with Taurus RBs on several occasions while working as a public range RO. You couldn't give me several such Taurus revolvers for that SRH then. Better steel wasn't all - better lockwork was a real plus (It uses the same lockwork as the GP-100s.) - as was it's six shot capability. Then there is the quality control. Check out Taurus purchases carefully!

My .454 SRH was my first-ever DA-capable revolver, bought to launch .45 Colts, my then favorite - and only - revolver round. That didn't last - I had to order that SRH then, and after I picked it up, a week hadn't gone by and I was plunking down $21 for twenty Hornady .454 240gr XTPs - then rated at 2,000 fps (That's 2,130 ft-lb!). They were more comfortable to launch than the .44 Magnums, at less than half the KE, I had shot from a 29 nearly a quarter century earlier. I was hooked... I did shoot a bunch of .45 Colts, too, of course. Sadly, my first-ever S&W, a new 625MG in .45 Colt my wife shocked me with 9/02, would change my life - S&Ws are nice! The SRH, like my other Rugers, saw decreasing use here, and was traded by late '04. It is the only Ruger I owned which I regretted saying goodbye to, sad to say.

My S&W only conversion was complete by '08. I now have both a 4" and a 6" 629 and cannot think of any need for more 'oomph' than they can provide. The .45 Colt 625MG is still all I need 99+% of the time. The fact is, those 629s see .44 Russians, Specials, and wimpy Magnums from my basement ammo factory, which was started solely for .45 Colts years ago, as that was my interest. That was followed by .45 ACPs and then the .44s for my 629MG. Reloading is a whole other hobby. To be blunt, my S&Ws are a lot more fun to shoot than the Rugers were, so I shoot them more now. Another possible 'big bore' choice, whose ammo is everywhere, is the .45 ACP 625, such as the current 4" 625JM. Super fun plinker with any .45 ACP ammo, from 'ball' to hunting loads. It, too, is fun, even if it won't hurt your wrist like a .454C or .44M. Choices! Good luck.

Stainz

DWFan
April 1, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'd grab a .445 Dan Wesson SuperMag before the prices go completely out of sight.

snooperman
April 1, 2010, 10:07 AM
the redhawk in 44magnum, especially if you plan to shoot it a lot. It is "enough gun" for sure.

snooperman
April 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
or long range shooting, it would be hard to beat.

gofastman
April 1, 2010, 11:59 AM
nushif- The problem with the D. Eagle is you are more or less obligated to get it gold plated, which will set you back about a grand in itself. :D

Nushif
April 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
Fact. That'd be an issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice for a new big bore blaster..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!