? about "magnum" percussion caps.

PDA

Texas Moon
March 31, 2010, 08:39 AM
Have any of you folks used the #11 magnum caps with your C&B's?

Local pirate(aka gun shop) only has these.
I messed up. Need some caps for tomorrow and am out of caps.
These are the only thing I can find locally.

Another question: What on-line(or other) vendor do you recommend for caps?

If you enjoyed reading about "? about "magnum" percussion caps." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pohill
March 31, 2010, 09:38 AM
They work well on my Hawkins .50 and Belgian rifle, but not so well on my revolvers. They blew apart more than the regular caps and didn't stay on the nipples after firing.

arcticap
March 31, 2010, 03:30 PM
Dixiegun.com often sells smaller amounts of caps without charging a hazmat fee.

The prices are up everywhere.
This outfit offers a large variety of caps:

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=351

BlackNet
March 31, 2010, 06:48 PM
Mag primers do burn hotter to ignore fake black powders easier. They also provide more force and can/will start to move the projectile out of the bore before the powder ignites. It is suggested to not use the mag primers with real black powder because of that.

Fingers McGee
March 31, 2010, 08:47 PM
Magnum caps arent needed for real BP; but, using them won't cause any problems.

robhof
March 31, 2010, 10:46 PM
The mag caps work great, more consistent with the subs especially 777. Gamaliel is a neat place, used to sell real b/p, I bought a bunch a few years back, they're only an Hour an 1/2 drive from home. I went back a few weeks ago and they don't sell real b/p anymore.

ClemBert
March 31, 2010, 11:07 PM
Have any of you folks used the #11 magnum caps with your C&B's?

Yup, no problem using magnum caps with cap-n-ball revolvers. I've used the Winchester Magnum (aka CCI) caps before. Some say 777 ignites better with magnum caps but honestly I think you are fine with either type.

azyogi
April 1, 2010, 01:31 AM
I use them [CCI magnums] on my renagade, super companion, 1858's and Howda. strangely my ROA doesn't like them. It seems to prefer RWS #10's FWIW. Could be the Uncle Mikes 'Hot Shot' nipples I put on it years ago.

ClemBert
April 1, 2010, 09:57 AM
...strangely my ROA doesn't like them

I also had issues with the Winchester/CCI magnum caps on my ROA. The fit wasn't good on my Ruger factory nipples. I've since moved onto using Remington #10s and #11s on my ROA without a problem. I have Treso nipples on my Piettas and Ubertis and the Remingtons work perfect on those nipples.

If you enjoyed reading about "? about "magnum" percussion caps." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!