223 brass

PDA

kestak
March 31, 2010, 01:56 PM
Greetings,

I am quite particular with my rifle brass. I read a few threads, but did not see a definitive answer. The LC, I can't say how many times it has been shot except when there is a primer crimp. So I discard that one after 4-5 reloads or I feel a ring inside.

I am careful to pick up my brass, but I think I can let go some. :neener:

After how many shots do you simply discard the brass? I am curious. I am using once fired RP and PMC. Those ones I am looking to let go simply without all the assle of re-trim chamfer and deburr. How many times could I shoot them without worrying with those "pesky" tasks in my RRA CAR-15?

Thank you
P.S.: I have the lingering feeling I'll get a very interesting answer from RCmodel....:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "223 brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 31, 2010, 02:05 PM
To many variables to put a number on it.
Chamber tight or loose?
Headspace tight or loose after resizing.
IE: Resizing & pushing the shoulder back too much?
How hot you load them?
Etc., etc,.

Myself? I stop using them when:
I get loose primer pockets.
I find a dreaded stretch ring inside the case.
I lose them in the weeds.

Not very interesting for sure, but thats all I know.

rc

kestak
March 31, 2010, 02:09 PM
Greetings,

You do the same thing than me, except I discard my LC a little bit earlier because I do not know how many times it has been shot.

Soooooooo, I guess I am on the right path! :rolleyes:

(I knew it.... :neener: )

Thank you

mongoose33
March 31, 2010, 04:16 PM
If the primer pocket won't hold a primer, out they go.

I'm using the RCBS X-die. I'm up to 8 reloads on the test cases, nothing as of yet looks like it's wearing out.

rc109a
March 31, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have a batch of LC using small base X-Die that have been reloaded 21 times as of today. I have not lost one due to loose primer pockets or any other defects. My PMC went away at 6. I like LC brass..

JDGray
March 31, 2010, 05:08 PM
I load only LC brass myself, and don't count how many times its been loaded. The primer pocket will tell you when its time to recycle. It did have a case seperate once, but not near the base, but in the center. The gun fired as normal, but only exracted the base, the other half fell out when I shook the rifle. If it happens again, the whole lot will be tossed.

medalguy
March 31, 2010, 10:58 PM
I use LC about 8 times or loose primer pocket, whichever comes first. Usually 8 reloads but I'm not loading very hot.

Walkalong
March 31, 2010, 11:38 PM
Check them with a feeler of some sort (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=118411&d=1269559067) and you won't have any coming apart on you. No need to guess.

If you enjoyed reading about "223 brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!