Guide rod types

PDA

Echo9
April 1, 2010, 01:34 PM
Could someone give me some basic info on different guide rod/recoil assembly types? Is it just dual or full length? How does "captive" fit in there? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

I'm pretty knowledgeable, just have a few weak areas I'm trying to clear up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guide rod types" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skillet
April 1, 2010, 01:51 PM
Full length one piece metal guide rods are the most durable. My CZ 75B has a one piece plastic guide rod that I want to replace with a metal one.

CWL
April 1, 2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think it has ever been proven that FLGR are any better than standard guide rods (short) and captive guide rods are a solution looking for a problem.

Whatever length guide rod a pistol was designed with is pretty-much good enough for the life of a pistol. Flaws in pistol design and manufacture are rarely due to wrong guide rods.

rcmodel
April 1, 2010, 02:08 PM
Captive guide rods contain the spring when the gun is taken down for cleaning.
It's a good thing.
Prevents you from shooting your eye out with a flying spring or guide rod, or losing parts in the weeds if it gets away from you with the slide off.

And they simplyfy the parts count when the gun is apart for cleaning.
You have a frame, slide, barrel, and captive guide rod. Or four parts.

On a non-captive rod, you have five, six, or more to keep track of.

FL and/or captive guide rods as used on Glocks, SIG's, etc, are a good thing, because they were designed from the getgo with them.

FL rods on 1911's are an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

rc

wilkersk
April 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
...On a non-captive rod, you have five, six, or more to keep track of.

I thought there was just a recoil spring and a guide rod, 2 pieces vs. a captive guide rod assembly.

I've never had one, but I'm curious how long one like STI's Recoil Master will get gritty enough to need to be taken apart and cleaned?

I put a titanium guide rod in my XD .45 5" to get a little more weight up front to help with muzzle flip. My CZ-75B has the same "plastic" guide rod that it came with. After about 5,000 rounds, its still isn't showing any wear.

My old USGI M1911A1 National Match pistol has the original guide rod in it. It works flawlessly. While my Kimber Stainless II has a full length guide rod. I really don't notice any difference between the two that could be attributed to the guide rod.

Comanche180
April 1, 2010, 06:16 PM
Wilkersk, how much more weight did you get up front by installing a titanium guide rod in you XD?

I'm assuming the original was steel which has a density of 7.85 g/cc. Titanium has a density of 4.54 g/cc. Also assuming the replacement rod had the same physical dimensions of the original, your gun lost weight.

rcmodel
April 1, 2010, 06:38 PM
I thought there was just a recoil spring and a guide rod, 2 pieces vs. a captive guide rod assembly.On many guns there are.

On a 1911, you have a spring, spring guide, spring plug, and barrel bushing.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Guide rod types" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!