Colt SP1 carrier?

PDA

rifleman14
April 2, 2010, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know where i can get one of these AR15 SP1 carriers? I would also like to know if they are completely legal to buy(do you have to have it registered or have a license to own it or anything or can you just order it like a normal carrier?) Also, is the lightning link legal for civilians to own? Where can i get one and if they are restricted, what do i have to do to get one?
Thanks!
Dylan

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SP1 carrier?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
April 2, 2010, 09:02 AM
You might want to check the various sources on line for your carrier like Gunbroker or Gun Parts Corp(Numrich Arms). BATF considers the Lightning Link to be a machine gun in itself and all legal links are registered and serial numbered. These legal links will cost you big bucks to buy plus the 200.00 registry fee. Any Class 3 FFL dealer could probably sell you one. Just remember is you try to "beat the system" and get caught, it could cost you 100K plus 10 years so don't even think about it. The link, even uninstalled, and an AR equals an illegal auto firearm.

rifleman14
April 2, 2010, 02:17 PM
i have checked gunbroker and numrich and nobody has one. from my research, i have found that the only difference between the colt sp1 carrier and a standard AR carrier is the length of the circular part(for lack of better words/the proper term) at the rear of the carrier and the sp1 has a square edge at this circular part whereas the AR is rounded. the sp1 , since it has a bit shorter circular part and is square instead of rounded, it will hit the lightning link at just the right moment(right when the bolt closes), pulling back on the disconnector and allowing the hammer to fall forward at the proper time. however, the standard AR carrier will trip the lightning link slightly too soon because of the longer circular part and the rounded edge, cause the hammer to fall before the round is completely chambered...which may or may not cause an explosion, but from my understanding of firearms, it would not be too friendly to the gun. is my theory right about the AR and SP1 carriers? would it be possible to mill a standard AR carrier to the same rear dimensions as the SP1 carrier? or somehow modify the lightning link to trip at the right time when using a standard AR carrier? i understand there is also a difference between the carriers with the firing pin. sp1 is not fully shrouded and standard is. does this make a difference with the lightning link? whats the point of not having a fully shrouded firing pin vs having one?

I was thinking about trying to build one but the risk is just much too high and not worth it in the least bit. Im really just asking questions now because this topic is incredibly interesting to me for some reason. so im really just trying to expand my knowledge for the AR15 platform of rifles so that overtime, i can maybe be a professional at the rifle and its operations :)

rcmodel
April 2, 2010, 02:46 PM
The SP-1 carrier is the same as any other M16 carrier with the addition of the longer cut at the rear to prevent it working with M16 full auto trigger parts..

Later, the modified AR-15 carriers with an open slot become the norm to prevent conversion to full-auto by other methods.

SO, yes, it is legal to buy, own, and use an M16 bolt carrier.
Yes, it is legal to modify an AR or M16 carrier to make it an SP-1 type.
Yes, it is legal to buy and own a Lighting Link.

No it is not legal to convert an AR-15 to full-auto using a modified M16 or SP-1 carrier & Lightening Link.
No, you cannot get a ATF tax stamp and convert one either.

Making a machinegun out of any existing semi-auto has been banned since 1986.
(Unless the gun was already registered as a MG prior to the passage of the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986)

rc

rifleman14
April 2, 2010, 03:19 PM
alright so it would seem that unless i find around 10k just to be able to waste ammo, i wont be getting a full auto rifle lol.

any further questions are for educational purposes only

so would a lightning link work with a standard AR carrier ?
also, please clarify...i dont understand how an M16 carrier could work with the lightning link as it would trip it MUCH too soon due to the short cut(compared to the SP1 or standard AR carrier)

are there any semi automatic centerfire rifles that can be easily turned into fully automatic firearms? by easily i mean without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a different bolt carrier,lightning link, etc.

again, these questions are purely for educational reasons only

rcmodel
April 2, 2010, 03:34 PM
are there any semi automatic centerfire rifles that can be easily turned into fully automatic firearms?No.
Anything easily & cheaply converted to full auto, like the early open-bolt semi-auto MAC-10 clones, is rather quickly squelched by the ATF.

And I don't believe the part about "purely for educational reasons only" either.

rc

TexasRifleman
April 2, 2010, 05:27 PM
Also, is the lightning link legal for civilians to own? Where can i get one and if they are restricted, what do i have to do to get one?

Registered Lightning Links sell in the 6000-8000 dollar range the last time I saw one sell.

so would a lightning link work with a standard AR carrier ?

No, you can blow yourself up. It's possible for the rifle to fire out of battery with this carrier.

also, please clarify...i dont understand how an M16 carrier could work with the lightning link as it would trip it MUCH too soon due to the short cut(compared to the SP1 or standard AR carrier)

Pictures help:

Top is an AR carrier
Mid is SP1
Bottom is M16

Only the SP1 carrier works with LL. The AR can allow a rifle to fire out of battery, and the M16 carrier just won't work.

http://www.quarterbore.com/images/ar15_sp1_m16carriers_sm_small.jpg

are there any semi automatic centerfire rifles that can be easily turned into fully automatic firearms? by easily i mean without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a different bolt carrier,lightning link, etc.

Oh, some of the older submachinegun types (mac or uzi) that fire from an open bolt can be converted easily, and of course illegally. That's why ATF stopped the sale of open bolt firearms. The ones that are out there in the marketplace are legal to own and sell, but the manufacturers can't make them anymore as Title 1 firearms.

Any of the traditional "battle rifles" that fire from a closed bolt take skill to convert, and of course it's STILL illegal. It's just not that easy.

Even with a Lightning Link you will spend hours trying to get the stupid thing timed correctly. And then you have to retime it now and then as the little metal paddle wears down and eventually breaks so you have to put a new paddle on and do it all again....

They were great pre-86 when they were $45. Now, not so much.

rifleman14
April 2, 2010, 06:39 PM
thank you for the info everyone, you have really cleared things up and helped me understand this

rcmodel, believe what you wish, it doesnt make a difference to me. i know that i am not going to attempt it because the risk of going to prison for 10 years and having to pay thousands of dollars just isnt worth it to be able to waste ammo faster than i already do, but if you want to think that i am going to take the risk then be my guest

DoubleTapDrew
April 3, 2010, 12:09 AM
Unfortunately the ATF have closed any loophole in the NFA allowing us to have a full-auto on the cheap (and if you find one they'll close it, just ask Bill Akins).
It seems the only way to have a select fire AR-15/M16 these days is to have at least $10,000 laying around to spend on a 25 year old gun or hunk of metal with a serial number on it.
Thanks alot senator Hughes.

rifleman14
April 3, 2010, 01:03 AM
u said it drew +1

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SP1 carrier?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!