NAA mini revolvers

PDA

tercel89
April 2, 2010, 09:03 AM
I did a search on these on this forum and read a bunch . I have come to the conclusion that NAA makes the most reliable "mini" revolvers .
What are your thoughts on them ?
I normally carry a Glock 22 at my work and a G-26 and sometimes a Beretta COugar off duty , but I need something VERY SMALL when summer gets here . I dont me a small J-frame revolver , I mean small . I do a lot of biking and dont want a gun sagging my pants down .
I alwys thought the small guns like this were crap . I did a little research on them and keep coming up with NAA as the most reliable micro small guns out there .
Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated . I forgot to say that I am looking at them in a .22LR or a .22 Mag . Mainly a .22LR

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA mini revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
April 2, 2010, 11:39 AM
Mine is the 22lr with 22 mag cyl also I consider it a waste of money and at other than contact distance unless . Slow to fire and forever to reload .You can carry a KelTec P-32 just5 as easy Have a pistol you can fire faster and thats more accurate,and quicker, for just a few oz more . Their cute but in 22lr their hard to reach power of a 25 auto shooting ball . 22 mag a little better but noise and muzzle blast is bad and 22 mag cost as much as center fire ammo today A P-32 is a better choice

tercel89
April 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
Is it reliable ?

Katana8869
April 2, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have one of the .22mag versions and yes it is very reliable. IMO the sights on this gun are useless so I just use mine as a point and shoot gun at very close distances. I can draw it, point it and fire very quickly and keep all of my shots on a piece of notebook paper all the way out to 7 yards.

I often drop mine in one of the cargo pockets of my shorts and I think that it makes a good "last ditch" option. However, I find that my Ruger LCP is just as easy to carry and provides a much better solution to my micro-gun needs. YMMV, best regards...

Mike

ChefJeff1
April 2, 2010, 03:57 PM
Mine has been 100% reliable in .22 mag and .22 lr.

MCgunner
April 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
I am unaware of any revolver in the size class of the NAA since the Freedom Arms is no longer made, much less a more reliable one. Yes, they're very reliable as long as you refresh the ammo in 'em every week or two if you're carrying 'em constantly in summer. That's the trick. Pocket moisture (sweat) will infiltrate a rimfire round. I think the magnum might be less susceptible to this since it does not use a heal seated bullet, crimps over like a normal center fire round. But, I don't have a mag model.

These guns can be useful to 15 yards in my experience. I can hit center mass quite easily from 50 feet, but with slow, aimed fire. They don't point shoot for squat and the sights are tiny, sight radius is short and they're slow to acquire. I really wouldn't wanna get into a gunfight with one, but it could save your bacon if you need something and just can't carry bigger. I have mine in a holster grip which flips open like a lock blade knife and gives me a full grip which helps immensely.

There are very few times that I must carry a mini as a primary, but there's no substitute for one when tiny is needed. One neat use for it is when I'm wade fishing. I clip it to the top of and inside my T shirt. I would not be able to carry anything else in that situation without it being submerged in salt water.

These little guns are very well made and very reliable. They actually shoot well, but ammo picky and one must practice to understand how to hit with 'em. Some folks just can't figure it out, some better shooters can. They're not expensive and are of very high quality. I'd suggest buying one and seeing for yourself. Don't give up on it. Work with different loads, find one that hits near POA or if you have to, and I did, file the front site down a bit to match the POI of the load. Once you have this little thing set up, it actually CAN shoot. .22 LR is pretty pathetic for penetration, of course, and tiny, but hey, it's better'n nothing. The .22 mag offers better ballistics. The frame of the gun isn't that much bigger, but yeah, they're loud. I've got a .22LR and a super companion which is worthy of a whole nuther subject, but I consider the best option yet as reloads are fast (spare cylinder) and ballistics are slightly superior to the mag using bullseye as a propellant with the 30 grain conicals from NAA. With it or the .22 mag with solids, I'm a little more confident in penetration potential than the .22LR, but the LR is the more compact frame. I want to get a magnum version eventually just because. Both my NAAs wear the holster grip, I'm sold on it for my uses. You could clip it inside the waste band of a pair of bicycle shorts and no one would even know what it was. :D.

NG VI
April 2, 2010, 04:15 PM
MCGunner or anyone else with a .22LR mini, have you ever used Aguila 60 grain in it? How did it shoot? That's one of my favorite .22 loads, and I can't help but think that for getting all the penetration possible, might as well go with a heavyweight like that.

tercel89
April 2, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have a few cargo type shorts that I dont wear because they have the built-in belt and I cant wear my regular gun with them so I think the NAA would be great to put in one of the many pockets they have .
Trust me , its not gonna be a main-carry gun .

Colton White
April 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have a mini .22lr.

I love that gun, I have fired oh gosh over a thousand rounds through mine no joke with out a single problem. Iv fired lots of different brands of ammo and old glass jar top shelf junk ammo and not a single problem. people can argue all day about effectiveness and whether its a viable defensive tool and that this is better than that or whatever.

yes it is reliable

Colton White
April 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
anyone else with a .22LR mini, have you ever used Aguila 60 grain in it? How did it shoot? That's one of my favorite .22 loads, and I can't help but think that for getting all the penetration possible, might as well go with a heavyweight like that.

I have and to be honest as far a performance I couldn't tell a lick a difference without proper testing it all looks the same shooting into my pond. but they fired for sure, a lil quieter but same kick and it does shoot a hair low far as i can tell.

MCgunner
April 2, 2010, 04:37 PM
MCGunner or anyone else with a .22LR mini, have you ever used Aguila 60 grain in it? How did it shoot? That's one of my favorite .22 loads, and I can't help but think that for getting all the penetration possible, might as well go with a heavyweight like that.

Never tried the Aguila. Mine prefers Federal Lightening. Every gun has a different preference, though.

Don't get all worked up over terminal ballistic perfprmance. Pick a round that hits as close to POA as possible. Lord knows there's plenty of variety to try. Once you get one with the gun/load, stick with it.

BTW, I've killed all sorts of critters with mine over the 25 yards I've had it. I even took a rabbit with it once, around 40 or 50 feet. It was at night, too, in the headlights of my truck! Don't tell me these sights are useless. You just need to learn how to use 'em and get the gun shooting POA which is really the key. I've had my super companion for a few weeks, now, 2 range trips with it. It shoots WAY low and a little left. What I've done is just learned a good sight picture, not your traditional blade in notch sight picture. I'm shooting 5" groups center mass from 40 feet with it like that, taint that shabby. It's a little longer gun, easier to point shoot up close than my .22 LR version. And, if you think a .ss mag is loud and has muzzle flash, you should experience 2.0 grains of bullseye in a companion or super companion. :D I'm getting 1250 fps out of a 30 grain bullet with it. I really consider it superior to the cartridge guns. Not the velocity, still a mouse gun, but I have a spare cylinder I can load and carry and a reload is a simple cylinder swap, much quicker than the cartridge version. I don't invision having to carry this gun much as a primary or I might buy another spare cylinder. They're only 40 bucks off the NAA site and just drop in and work with no fitting.

MCgunner
April 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
I have and to be honest as far a performance I couldn't tell a lick a difference without proper testing it all looks the same shooting into my pond. but they fired for sure, a lil quieter but same kick and it does shoot a hair low far as i can tell.

Funny, I was at my friend's place in Waco last dove season for our annual slaughter of the birds. We were sitting on one of his tanks chatting waiting on a bird to fly by and there were snakes on that tank about 75 yards away. So, I had some ammo in my pocket and my NAA and just gave it a try. I'd hit within about 3 or 4 feet most shots, never did connect, but hey, that's pretty impressive at that range. My buddy was all agog that it shot THAT close. :D From 20-25 yards, I have an outside chance of making a hit on a snake with it out of 5 tries. I have killed a rattler at 10 feet with a head shot with it, one round. I mean, it's mechanically accurate, just hard to shoot well for rather obvious reasons.

I can generally keep all shots slow fire from a bench rest at 25 yards on a paper plate, though. Considering my eyes and the sight radius, I'm happy with that. As a 25 ft last ditch defense, it sure beats nothing and sometimes that's the alternative. I don't have a lot of trust in the caliber, of course. Head hits are preferred. I keep it in my left pocket with my primary either in my right pocket or sometimes on the belt. I figure if I'm struggling with someone and he has my strong hand tied up and my left hand is loose, jam it in his eye and let him have a round. I'd rather get stabbed than shot in the eye with a mini revolver, myself.

DeepSouth
April 2, 2010, 04:48 PM
About reliability, I would be much more concerned with the ammo than the gun. 22 bullets get wet easy and then don't fire. I have had many, many failures with my NAA, (think triple digits) every single time I changed the ammo and was good to go.

That said they are solid little guns and with enough practice, meaning a LOT, you can get to hitting pie plate groups at say 10 yards. I would not recommend one as a primary weapon even though I carry mine as a primary every Sunday

OregonJohnny
April 2, 2010, 04:54 PM
I bought the 22 Mag/22LR version with the 1-5/8" barrel. I've since installed the NAA wood boot grips, which add maybe 1/4" length to the bottom of the grip. It is still very hard to shoot well. This little gun takes A LOT of practice. I can't seem to hit a 10" circle from any farther away than about 5 yards. I consider myself a very good shot with all my other handguns. This little guy is just so hard for me to figure out.

Having said that, there really isn't anything else that comes close to how small these NAA Minis are. You could stuff it in a sock, a rolled-up sleeve, close your hand around it and conceal it in your palm, literally.

My Ruger LCP is my current favorite "pocket gun". Bulkier and heavier than the Mini, but a heck of a lot easier to slip into a pocket than a j-frame revolver, and a heck of a lot more effective than a 5-shot single-action .22 with a sub-2" barrel and a grip you can barely hook 2 fingers around.

My NAA Mini has been relegated to "novelty" status, until the day I can miraculously learn to shoot it correctly.

MCgunner
April 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
About reliability, I would be much more concerned with the ammo than the gun. 22 bullets get wet easy and then don't fire. I have had many, many failures with my NAA, (think triple digits) every single time I changed the ammo and was good to go.

And that's why I said this......

I am unaware of any revolver in the size class of the NAA since the Freedom Arms is no longer made, much less a more reliable one. Yes, they're very reliable as long as you refresh the ammo in 'em every week or two if you're carrying 'em constantly in summer. That's the trick. Pocket moisture (sweat) will infiltrate a rimfire round. I think the magnum might be less susceptible to this since it does not use a heal seated bullet, crimps over like a normal center fire round. But, I don't have a mag model.

DeepSouth
April 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
The one I have that has had so many "Bad Bullet" issues is the Mag model so I guess the problem persists.

fineredmist
April 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have carried a NAA .22 mag for years and have never had a problem with it. I have found that CCI MINI MAGS work the best and are reliable. I have 3 issues with the gun and have corrected them with no further problem. First are the sharp edges on the rear of the cylinder which will inflict a nasty cut on the thumb. Solution; take a stone and round off the edges taking care around the safety" notches. Second is the front sight which I cut down to almost nothing. If you point and shot it will give you very good results at close range. Third is the grips which are too small to be really useable. Solution, I bought a pair of oversized rubber grips from NAA and they are great. They allow a good grip and point naturally. I carry in a pocket holster and I was concerned that the oversized grips would print and I was delighted that they don't.
You must remember that this is close range weapon and it will work if you do some practicing with it. The muzzle blast and flask are something you must see to appreciate, one would think that you were using a large caliber handgun.
The mini in the pocket is a lot better that the .45 in your safe.

winchester '97
April 2, 2010, 06:05 PM
try a seecamp .32 with the grip clip to ride inside the waistband.

The Lone Haranguer
April 2, 2010, 06:14 PM
Other than maybe the .22 Mag. Black Widow, I regard these mini-revolvers as novelties, not any kind of serious self defense weapons, even as a backup.

BCRider
April 2, 2010, 06:29 PM
But they sure are fun!

I've been shooting my "The Earl" a fair amount since getting it. It's been on and off for grouping due to the grip issue but the other evening I managed to get a couple of 1.5 inch groups at 12 yards and pretty much the rest were all within 3 inch groups. Oddly enough I was playing with both two handed grips and one handed "duelist" style with the body held sideways and my free hand tensioned into the small of my back. The two tightest groups along with a 2'ish inch "support" group were all shot single handed. And no one was more surprised than me with this. The single had groups patterned about an inch to the left and 1.5 inches high due to the poor support from one hand. The two handed groups are dead on for .22LR.

Magnums shoot about 2.5 to 3 inches low at 12 yards even two handed.

Onward Allusion
April 2, 2010, 06:37 PM
NAA Minis are very well manufactured guns, BUT you have to know its limitations if you're going to carry one. It is more reliable, safer, and have a few more shots than a derringer BUT it is a last ditch weapon that's meant for up close and personal shots. Basically, you shoot and run like hell. If you intend on carrying in in the summer, you must change the ammo on a regular basis (weekly or bi-weekly).

tercel89 (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=88893)
NAA mini revolvers
I did a search on these on this forum and read a bunch . I have come to the conclusion that NAA makes the most reliable "mini" revolvers .
What are your thoughts on them ?
I normally carry a Glock 22 at my work and a G-26 and sometimes a Beretta COugar off duty , but I need something VERY SMALL when summer gets here . I dont me a small J-frame revolver , I mean small . I do a lot of biking and dont want a gun sagging my pants down .
I alwys thought the small guns like this were crap . I did a little research on them and keep coming up with NAA as the most reliable micro small guns out there .
Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated . I forgot to say that I am looking at them in a .22LR or a .22 Mag . Mainly a .22LR

Al LaVodka
April 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
The longer-barreled 22 Mag. are the way to go. Black widow? Mini-master maybe even (which is what I backpack with). You want the Mag. and the length to squeeze the power, acurracy and range out of it.

These arms are SIMPLE, safe, well made, reliable, impervious, and can be effective.

PAK

MCgunner
April 2, 2010, 07:15 PM
And, the mini master and black widow have better sights.

I was kinda wanting a mini master, have for a while, until I priced one. $360 or something like that put me off. I wound up buying a nice P64 Polish in 9mm Mak for 200. I was just wanting something different to play with. Awesome gun, too, but that's another thread.

The mini master is a might long (4" barrel) for pockets, but if you had a holster grip on it, it would clip inside the waste band of a pair of shorts and be innocuous to a by stander. If he asked, you could tell him it was a leatherman with a belt clip and he'd have no clue. :D Any other gun with a belt clip looks like a gun.

rmfnla
April 2, 2010, 08:07 PM
I've posted before that I had one in .22lr misfire at a really bad time. Could have been the ammo; I didn't really have time to reflect (or reload) so I replaced it with a Beretta .25 Jetfire as soon as I could.

The Beretta is not much bigger, vastly more accurate, shoots faster & ,holds more ammo and 007 carries one; how bad can it be?

tercel89
April 2, 2010, 10:16 PM
rmfnla , what kinda misfire happened to you ? Did you get hurt or anything ?

rmfnla
April 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
Needed it in Miami when attacked with an edged weapon. NAA misfired; fortunately the assailant's accomplice recognized that the next shot might work and dragged the target out of there.

Nobody was harmed; yet another example of crime being stopped without a single shot fired... :rolleyes:

FWIW, this was Miami and sweaty ammo was likely the culprit, but that just means NO gun that uses rimfire ammo is really suited for defense work.

I think the NAA is a beautiful little gun, almost like a piece of jewelry, but the Beretta .25 is a much better defense gun, underpowered as it may be.

MCgunner
April 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
FWIW, this was MIami and sweaty ammo was likely the culprit, but that just means NO gun that uses rimfire ammo is really suited for defense work.

I think the NAA is a beautiful little gun, almost like a piece of jewelry, but the Beretta .25 is a much better defense gun, underpowered as it may be.

No, it just means you need to spend a couple of minutes every other weekend minimum, when it's really hot, every weekend dumping the ammo and replacing with 5 more. That's all it means. Your .25 has far more chance of jamming on pocket lint, if you're not cleaning it weekly, than my .22 mini has of a misfire.

I really have no use at all for the .25. It's no more powerful than a .22 and if I go that big, I can get a P3AT in .380 or an LCP or whatever. I'd rather carry .380 in the same sized gun, AND lighter I believe at 8 ounces unloaded for the Kel Tec. The mini revolver is significantly smaller than the .25. It has a place in my collection of carries. I never carry the thing as a primary unless I just can't carry anything bigger, like my .380 or my Kel Tec 9.

rmfnla
April 3, 2010, 11:59 PM
I have put an easy 1,000 rounds through my Beretta and it has NEVER malfunctioned in any way.

Yes, larger calibers are worthwhile, but those guns are always just a bit larger or heavier or less reliable or something.

As I just wrote in another thread; nine rounds, accurate & reliable; where would YOU like to be shot with one..?

MCgunner
April 4, 2010, 07:56 AM
Well, one thing, .25ACP is much more reliable than .22 in an auto, I'll give you that. I carried one for a long time, cheap POS zinc RG26. Yet, it never failed to fire or function, though I didn't carry it daily and cleaned it often. The LCP fits in the same pocket wallet holster I made for that .25, though, and it's quite a bit lighter. .380 is approaching a serious defense caliber, too, which is a major bonus. Just don't neglect pocket guns, whether that means changing out ammo or cleaning pocket lint once a week. You were illustrated the folly of improper maintenance and blamed it on the caliber/gun. That is JMHO.

I had a little Beretta Minx .22 short. I've never had a less reliable gun in my life. That and the reputation of the .32 Tomcat and I kinda steer clear of those guns. But, in .25, I've never heard a complaint and built quality is MILES ahead of those cheap little alloy guns which actually DO work in .25ACP. That Minx didn't cap about 1 out of 3 rounds and didn't feed/extract reliably, either. I bought it from a friend cheap knowing the problems thinkin' I could fix 'em. I didn't really want the gun to carry, just thought it was cute. I sold it to a dealer at a gun show and made 35 bucks, so all worked out anyway. :D

The LCP is an awesome little .380 as is the Kel Tec P3AT and the new Taurus TCP. I was wanting a Taurus for a while, but honestly, I don't carry the .380 I have that often. It's an old Grendel P12, same size as the LCP except 12 ounces and about .95" thick. For that, though, I get 12 rounds double stack capacity. I never carry it because my 9mm P11 works so well for me and I have other options, too, like the new to me P64 Radom Polish Makarov and my .38 snub, all of which are much more gun than a 25 while easily carried in a pocket all day long. That P11, 9mm +P, 11 rounds on tap, 3.5" at 25 yards accurate and only 14 ounces unloaded. It's like having a duty auto in your pocket. I would NEVER trade that for a .25, thank you very much. I don't wear spandex pants, though, or suits with tight pants or that. I find, with my jeans or a pair of dockers, the P11 works well. I can't be too much of a minimalist where my life is concerned, but I do understand the need for smaller guns at times and my mini revolvers are that option. If I need small, by golly I need small. Fortunately, rarely do I need anything smaller than my Kel Tec 9mm. I honestly don't even realize it's there unless I think about it during the day.

RyanM
April 4, 2010, 10:36 AM
And, the mini master and black widow have better sights.

That's for sure. I've carried a magnum Companion (and had pretty good luck with humidity; after 6 weeks of a job where I was hosing down a room with hot water daily, making the place as humid as a sauna, 1 shot hung for about a half second, the other 4 shot without incident), and if I had to do it all over again, I'd get a Black Widow, because of the sights. The oversize rubber grips are very easy to use, too, though if you don't have fingers the size of sausages, you may want to grind off the finger groove divider thing.

bikerbill
April 4, 2010, 11:35 AM
Excellent test on the new NAA .22mag Pug, my next purchase, in the latest Combat Handguns ... the tester found that the only round he tried that would expand from the 1-inch barrel was the Maxi-Mag TNT. Got about a foot of penetration in water. He said it was an excellent "deep-cover back-up" gun. 5-shot group at 10 feet was 1.38 inches, pretty accurate for such a small weapon. Plan to use it on dog walks and when riding my motorcycle.

Al LaVodka
April 4, 2010, 01:31 PM
Of course I'd want a .22 Mag revolver over a .25 Auto! That 9 oz. 2" Black Widow w/fixed or adjustable sights putting out a 40 gr. FMJ at 1,000 fps seems the way to go to me...
Al

rmfnla
April 5, 2010, 11:08 AM
Do you really think you are getting 1,000 fps out of a 2" barrel..?

rmfnla
April 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
Well, one thing, .25ACP is much more reliable than .22 in an auto, I'll give you that. I carried one for a long time, cheap POS zinc RG26. Yet, it never failed to fire or function, though I didn't carry it daily and cleaned it often. The LCP fits in the same pocket wallet holster I made for that .25, though, and it's quite a bit lighter. .380 is approaching a serious defense caliber, too, which is a major bonus. Just don't neglect pocket guns, whether that means changing out ammo or cleaning pocket lint once a week. You were illustrated the folly of improper maintenance and blamed it on the caliber/gun. That is JMHO.

I had a little Beretta Minx .22 short. I've never had a less reliable gun in my life. That and the reputation of the .32 Tomcat and I kinda steer clear of those guns. But, in .25, I've never heard a complaint and built quality is MILES ahead of those cheap little alloy guns which actually DO work in .25ACP. That Minx didn't cap about 1 out of 3 rounds and didn't feed/extract reliably, either. I bought it from a friend cheap knowing the problems thinkin' I could fix 'em. I didn't really want the gun to carry, just thought it was cute. I sold it to a dealer at a gun show and made 35 bucks, so all worked out anyway. :D

The LCP is an awesome little .380 as is the Kel Tec P3AT and the new Taurus TCP. I was wanting a Taurus for a while, but honestly, I don't carry the .380 I have that often. It's an old Grendel P12, same size as the LCP except 12 ounces and about .95" thick. For that, though, I get 12 rounds double stack capacity. I never carry it because my 9mm P11 works so well for me and I have other options, too, like the new to me P64 Radom Polish Makarov and my .38 snub, all of which are much more gun than a 25 while easily carried in a pocket all day long. That P11, 9mm +P, 11 rounds on tap, 3.5" at 25 yards accurate and only 14 ounces unloaded. It's like having a duty auto in your pocket. I would NEVER trade that for a .25, thank you very much. I don't wear spandex pants, though, or suits with tight pants or that. I find, with my jeans or a pair of dockers, the P11 works well. I can't be too much of a minimalist where my life is concerned, but I do understand the need for smaller guns at times and my mini revolvers are that option. If I need small, by golly I need small. Fortunately, rarely do I need anything smaller than my Kel Tec 9mm. I honestly don't even realize it's there unless I think about it during the day.
I've never really understood why the Minx even exists.

.22 short?! In the same gun that you can get in .25? No, .25 isn't a power-house, and I agree that a 9 mm will be vastly more suited for defense, but the .22 short has all the disadvantages of rimfire ammo and it's underpowered (REALLY underpowered!).

MCgunner
April 5, 2010, 11:53 AM
Do you really think you are getting 1,000 fps out of a 2" barrel..?

The NAA site has in depth chronograph data for their guns. Check out the 30 grain CCI +V from 2" barrel. The 1 5/8" it pushes about 1200. Amazing what that extra 3/8" of barrel did, near 100 fps more. My super companion pushes a 30 grain bullet near 1250 fps from a 1 5/8" barrel, not quite as fast, as the Black Widow .22 mag with the slightly longer barrel, but considering the quicker reloads via swapping loaded cylinder for spent, I think it's the best option of 'em all.

But, like the .22LR, it takes up keep being a cap and ball gun. If I carried it 24/7, I'd dump the powder once a week and reload with fresh caps. I haven't experimented much with that, yet, though, being as I just got it. Easy to unload, just pull the nipples and dump powder. If you wanna fully unload, you can then punch the conical bullets out with the allen wrench you use for the nipples. But, when I've reloaded it after carry, I've just kept the bullets in place and dumped the powder through the nipple holes, re-installed nipples and caps, cleaned off any loose powder, and re-install the cylinder.

Now, the .22 mag has more pop than the .25 Auto, but I still say they're both inadequate. However, yeah, I think the .22 mag would have better penetration, though I've not done the testing. The .25 does have the advantage of a 50 grain bullet vs the 40 grain solid in the .22 mag, but the 1000 + FPS velocity of the .22 mag is probably enough to give it superior penetration. I don't think it's going to be worth doing the math (momentum) for. :D I'd still prefer having my 9mm to either. But, when I need to go really small, the NAA is the way I go when I HAVE to.

http://www.naaminis.com/bwmvel.html

rmfnla
April 5, 2010, 02:54 PM
Phew; Impressive velocity, yes, but that's alot of upkeep!

The Jetfire has a magazine ( of course) so unloading is pretty easy, and I love the tilt-up barrel feature; so easy to check the chamber!

And, don't forget the 9-round capacity!

How 'bout we agree to disagree..?

MCgunner
April 5, 2010, 07:52 PM
If you're saying the .25 OR the .22 mag is enough for self defense, I'll agree to disagree. I understand why you are compelled to carry it, but there are better options in a gun that size now days IMHO.

As to whether .22 mag or .25 auto are more effective, I really don't think it matters there's such a small difference. I don't think I'd be in disagreement that the .25 is as good an ineffective caliber as the .22 mag. :D There are times when I'm compelled to carry the ineffective caliber as the only alternative is to be unarmed. Fortunately, it's usually a low threat environment, like wade fishing. I don't go fishing in the fifth ward in Houston. I guess you'd call that ho fishin'? I'm usually out somewhere on the Matagorda bay system or one of the tributary bays and estuaries. Not a lot of threat there. Occasionally, I need it when I'm going into a hospital or some other no carry zone and I don't wanna get noticed as carrying. The little NAA disappears, no chance of detection.

And, lot of upkeep? Takes minutes. The .22 mags, just pull the cylinder, dump 'em in the trash, reload with fresh, install the cylinder. I can do it all in 30 seconds if I was in a hurry. I'm a gun guy, heck, I like messin' with 'em, even enjoy cleaning 'em, even the black powder ones. :D

Al LaVodka
April 5, 2010, 09:24 PM
If you're saying the .25 OR the .22 mag is enough for self defense, I'll agree to disagree. I understand why you are compelled to carry it, but there are better options in a gun that size now days IMHO.

As to whether .22 mag or .25 auto are more effective, I really don't think it matters there's such a small difference. I don't think I'd be in disagreement that the .25 is as good an ineffective caliber as the .22 mag. :D
Um, the .25 is as impotent as the .22 LONG RIFLE -- there is no discernable difference. Not so of the .22 Mag.

BTW team, there is a 50 gr. .22 Mag -- oooo!

Al

qwik
April 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
IMHO the NAA 22mag really shines when you are in a face to face not knowing the intent in a bad situation. You can have gun in hand completely hidden attheready. I do think a qwik 5 will give me time to get something bigger out :scrutiny:

Beelzy
April 5, 2010, 10:00 PM
The NAA minis are great little guns, but somewhat delicate for shooting all the time, IMO.
I broke the cylinder lever on one, and had to send the gun back for repair. It's all good
and works fine, but I don't trust it with my bacon as a last ditch piece anymore.

Especially seeing how I have had one apart and have seen all those tiny parts inside.
(different gun)

mgkdrgn
April 6, 2010, 05:04 PM
My "tshirt and shorts" carry is an NAA Black Widow in 22mag. 22mag is a particularly nasty little round that never quite gets it's due. I have no doubt that when I pull the trigger that it will go BANG and that if I do my part, I'll hit what I am at.

raveneap
April 7, 2010, 04:52 PM
Bought a NAA mini mag on impulse several years ago. As my son observed, if you hold it against the target, you'll have a 50-50 chance of hitting it. I was lucky that I was able to sell in in about a week for what I paid for it.

MCgunner
April 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
I was practicing with my super companion today at 3 and 7 yards point shooting and 15 aimed fire. I didn't miss even on quick point shooting on a torso center mass. I'd have had to slow down for a head shot, I admit. If you can't hit with the gun, get something else. But, don't think that someone else can't score hits with it.

Um, the .25 is as impotent as the .22 LONG RIFLE -- there is no discernable difference. Not so of the .22 Mag.

BTW team, there is a 50 gr. .22 Mag -- oooo!

Al

I know it's got more paper ballistics, I just don't feel that either caliber is a reliable self defense stopper. I'd rather be packin my 9mm. But, I do have NAAs for special cases and I do practice with 'em. I wouldn't carry one as a primary when I can carry bigger, however. All I am saying is they're equal in that neither is really adequate.

tercel89
April 8, 2010, 11:31 AM
I got it :D It is a neat little thing! here it is .

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/tercel89/001-2.jpg

Beelzy
April 8, 2010, 05:35 PM
Nice grips on that one!

qwik
April 8, 2010, 07:56 PM
tercel89
Where u get them grips (i like)

Al LaVodka
April 8, 2010, 08:39 PM
A little smaller in the two major attributes than I'd have gone with, but, it is cute.

Enjoy!

Sure is small though...

Al

MCgunner
April 8, 2010, 08:54 PM
WOOHOO! New gun! RANGE REPORT! Let us know how you do or don't shoot it. :D Them grips are pretty, but I can't hang on to 'em. I have to have the holster grips to shoot the little toots.

tercel89
April 8, 2010, 10:17 PM
quik , they came with it . I really like them more now than when I got it ! Thanks for the compliment .

frankge
April 9, 2010, 09:56 AM
Bought my wife a 22LR and I have to say what a neat little gun this is. Take it out at the range and everyone is interested. So... I got this for her when she goes out in "cocktail" attair with the mini purse. It fits fine. Now before flaming starts she carries a S&W Airweight 38+P snubbie 99% of the time. When I'm with her I carry a XD-9Sub Compact. So its this mini reveolver or nothing for a very small window.

Stopping power is not the conversation, its "your a scumbag and I'm not a defenseless woman". Getting hit with a 22 is like being ice-picked - so where's the argument.

Plus did I mention it's really cool!

tercel89
April 9, 2010, 10:47 AM
I will use mine the same way , I will carry it when nothing else will fit . Something is always better than nothing .

pezo
April 9, 2010, 05:53 PM
I was able to get 1 3/4" penetration into a phone book at approx 6' distance with winchester dyna-pointes 45 grain copper plated bullets and actually got some non symetrical expansion at approx .38 caliber diameter. The best yet out of the lil 1 1/8" barrel. You cant compare these little weapons to your 9mm's. Would you carry your 9mm as your sole main weapon of defense if say you were deployed to combat in Afghanistan? or would you want one of those black rifle thingies? Different tools for different task.

Landric
April 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'd actually like to see a NAA Mini made in .25 ACP. It would solve most of the ammunition related problems with rimfire and provide a little more oomph than the .22 LR versions. My only real complaint about rimfire ammunition, other than the primer issues, is my inability to handload it. A .25 ACP mini would solve that problem, .25 Auto can be handloaded with lead bullets for next to nothing, plus I wouldn't have to chase the brass. I wonder if a NAA could be rechambered and rebarreled to .25 Auto? Probably wouldn't be worth the cost or hassle.

I had both the .22LR and .22 Magnum standard versions in the past, both 1 5/8" IIRC. The were very finely made and fun to shoot. I never had any problems with them. I ended up selling them off for reasons I don't remember. As with most guns I have sold or traded over the years, I wish I hadn't.

I just ordered myself a Black Widow .22LR. I wanted something I could shoot .22 Short in, and I don't see actually carrying it for defense, so I decided to skip the .22 Mag. Were I to buy one for carry (and I might eventually), I'd get the .22 Mag Pug with the front night sight and get an extra .22 LR cylinder for cheaper practice.

PTK
April 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
I own one each in .22 short, .22lr, and .22wmr. All have been 100% with quality ammunition, and all are plenty accurate for 25' distances. My personal preference for the .22lr version is a 40gr solid lead, no hollow point. Might as well have SOME penetration, eh? ;)

mec
April 18, 2010, 05:54 PM
A friend had a Minx/Jetfire combo. The .22 short was a particularly good one and even got through almost 200 rounds before the first jam. The 25 (and other Jetfires Ive used) was totally reliable.

Recently, I ran through several 25 acp ball loads in a near new condition baby browning. The current ball loads are much weakened compared to earlier ones I have chronographed, registering velocities between 590 and 690 fps depending on brand. None of them were reliable in this gun though in the past, I have found baby brownings to be very reliable. The ball loads were so sluggish that the ejecting case would jam into the next round up in the magazine. The gun has been perfectly functional with speer gold dots and hornady xtp 35 grain loads. The gold dot is interesting in that it drives the 35 grain jhp to 1060 fps but the current ball loads really do live down to the impression many shooters have that the 22 lr is more powerful from similar sized guns.

In 22 long rifle, I stick with cci mini mags for reliable ignition. Ive had the silver box WWs and bulk Remington loads deliver squib loads with great regularity and even stick bullets in handgun barrels.

gb6491
April 19, 2010, 07:41 AM
I am unaware of any revolver in the size class of the NAA since the Freedom Arms is no longer made,...
The current production Charter Arms "Dixie Derringer" (.22LR and .22 Magnum) is in this size class.
Regards,
Greg

MCgunner
April 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
I own one each in .22 short, .22lr, and .22wmr. All have been 100% with quality ammunition, and all are plenty accurate for 25' distances. My personal preference for the .22lr version is a 40gr solid lead, no hollow point. Might as well have SOME penetration, eh?

At around 800 fps, I don't think you have to worry much about a hollow point actually expanding. I go with what shoots POA and in my case that's .22LR Federal Lightening.

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA mini revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!