New MEC Grabber Help!!

PDA

kostyanj
April 2, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

Looking for some guidance. I found a cheap MEC grabber reloader on craigslist and I'm going to take a look at it on Monday. The guy told me it's missing the wooden handle but has everything else. What should I look for to know whether it's in good shape? I've never hade a MEC reloader. Also, how can I tell the difference between the Grabber and the 650N? Or is the 650N manual indexing?

Any help would be appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "New MEC Grabber Help!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dredd
April 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
MEC has a great website. You can pull up all of the info & diagrams for the presses.

It wouldn't hurt to print a few things & have them with you when you look at the press.

You should be able to tell if anything is missing etc etc etc

chrisgo
April 2, 2010, 03:26 PM
650 does not have resizing on it. Grabber has collet resizer built in.

Steve C
April 2, 2010, 05:44 PM
650 does not have resizing on it.

Not exactly, the 650 and 600 series uses a sizing ring that sizes the base when the shell is deprimed similar to most metallic handgun sizing dies. The Grabber as mentioned uses a collet that squeezes around the base to size the case brass.

ricklin
April 3, 2010, 02:22 PM
The 650 can resize, resize must be done as a seperate operation. The 650 does not resize during the loading sequence. The 600 does resize.

The grabber and it's collet resizer is the better mousetrap.

Determine the model number and download the manual from MEC b4 you go look at the machine.

A new grabber goes for over 400 bucks these days, I bought an oldie off ebay and I will have 130.00 bucks and about 4 hours of sweat equity in to it. That's pretty cheap for a good progressive that resizes.

If the handle sticks going up or down you may have collet issues. I did, cleaned and lubed and it worked fine.
Curlynohair did a great writeup on the Grabber over on shotgunworld look it up.

HOWARD J
April 3, 2010, 04:46 PM
MEC will reload a lot of hulls..................:)

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6028/reloadedshotgunshells.th.jpg (http://img42.imageshack.us/i/reloadedshotgunshells.jpg/)

If you enjoyed reading about "New MEC Grabber Help!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!