desert eagle 44 mag hunting

PDA

lobo9er
April 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
Anyone use a desert eagle to hunt. really interested in a deasert eagle in 44 mag. I have heard they are very pleasant to shoot compared to a revolver 44 mag and no comparison to the 50 ae. the slide really eats up some of the recoil. The model i am interested in comes with both six and ten inch barrels. I'm thinking using the ten with a nice scope outta do the trick for white tail.

If you enjoyed reading about "desert eagle 44 mag hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hydraulicman
April 2, 2010, 06:24 PM
sounds like you made up your mind. Get one and practice untill you can hit a 8 inch plate. every time at the distance you plan on hunting

lobo9er
April 2, 2010, 07:36 PM
should be accurate enough for white tail at 50 yards right? how much more accurate could a revolver be? honestly I'm asking cuz I really don't know. I would mount a scope for sure.

KevinR
April 2, 2010, 08:13 PM
My friend has one. He took it hog hunting back in 94. It did the job just fine, only thing is I have big hands and that gun's grip was tooo darn big for even me.

mljdeckard
April 2, 2010, 11:06 PM
With some optics and the ten inch barrel, I would use it out to 100 easily.

A friend of mine had one, and it's cool, but I **** it with that barrel and the .50, and after a while I was asking myself it it was really that much better than a good N frame or Super Blackhawk. Do what you want.

TIMC
April 3, 2010, 12:57 AM
I am going to give mine a try on some pigs this year with the .44 and the .50 barrels. I am going to try a scope on the .50 barrel and see if it survives. The 10" .44 barrel would be nice to have for hunting. I would agree 100 yards would be ok for it.

The Wiry Irishman
April 3, 2010, 03:31 AM
should be accurate enough for white tail at 50 yards right? how much more accurate could a revolver be? honestly I'm asking cuz I really don't know.

Not much, if at all. The Desert Eagle is actually a pretty well-built gun. I've seen some pretty impressive targets printed by people that work up a good handload for their DEs, running about the same 4-5 MOA you could expect from a good revolver and a hand load to match it. Even saw a target someone posted (its the internet, so be sure to take it with a grain of salt) with a 9 inch rested 10 round group at 200 yards. It was a 10 inch gun, but I can't recall if it was shooting .44 or .50 AE. From personal experience, I have a friend that has one in .50, and shooting his handloads I had no problem keeping all my shots in the rings of a NRA B33 target (maybe 14 inches or so) standing at 50 yards. Well, once I figured out where the sights had it shooting. The recoil was comparable to my .44 mag revolver.

So there won't be too much difference in potential accuracy between a DE and a revolver, but the revolver will have the edge in real-world practical accuracy due to the better ergonomics and better single action trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "desert eagle 44 mag hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!