Redhawk vs 629

PDA

aHFo3
April 2, 2010, 06:36 PM
I have the opportunity to trade a Glock 17 plus some cash for

A) 7.5" SS Ruger Redhawk that's been polished to shiny w/o original grips.

B) 6.5" 629 Powerport with trigger work and hi viz sights, not sure what dash. Oh, it comes with a Galco Crossdraw holster.

C) Your other suggestion here

Looks like both deals would require $150 plush my used 2nd gen Glock. Both are 44 mags. I already have a 29-2 that is a good shooter, but I'd much rather have another 44 mag than the Glock.

What would you do: A, B, or C?

If you enjoyed reading about "Redhawk vs 629" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
osteodoc08
April 2, 2010, 06:42 PM
What are your intended uses? Do you plan on making it into a hunting gun with a scope? Range time but otherwise a safe queen?

If looking for just a shooter, the slightly shorter barrel, trigger work, improved sights may be the ticket on the Smith.

If looking for a long range handgun that you plan on putting a scope on and possibly hunting with, I'd suggest the Ruger.

Both are fine guns IMHO.

In regards to C, Id suggest a S&W or Ruger in 357 Mag. Great Range gun in the 4"/6" variety. Shoot 38 SPL for relatively cheap (compared to 44mag/spl) and have enough bang with nice Buffalo Bore ammo or the like.

In the end, it's your glock, your money. As long as your happy, it really doesnt matter.

Blue Brick
April 2, 2010, 06:52 PM
357 Ruger Redhawk

Blue Brick
April 2, 2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=76220

buck460XVR
April 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
Looks like both deals would require $150 plush my used 2nd gen Glock.

If both guns are in similar condition, for the same price, it's really a no-brainer.

RDCL
April 2, 2010, 07:29 PM
If you already have a "Smith" .44 mag....then I'd say get the Ruger. The Redhawk is a much stronger gun.

(The S&W IS better looking though:D)

Russ

bluetopper
April 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
If you pick the Ruger........you'll be kicking yourself after a day at the range.:banghead:

I've had a few examples of them both. There is no comparison in the single-action trigger.

unspellable
April 2, 2010, 07:58 PM
Ruger will hold up better. S&W has better ergonomics and with reasonably frequent use can be expected to wear loose before your grand kids hit social security. (If it's still around then.) The Ruger will last long enough for you great grand kids to use.

W.E.G.
April 2, 2010, 08:02 PM
Don't like the shine... Don't like the ported barrel.

I'd keep the Glock until something more suitable came along.

Walkalong
April 2, 2010, 09:11 PM
If you pick the Ruger........you'll be kicking yourself after a day at the range
Personally, I much prefer shooting my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag than my Smith 29-3. My Redhawk .41 mag as well. :)

Yes, the single action is not quite as nice, but very shootable. The double action on my three Redhawks is very very good.

SlamFire1
April 2, 2010, 10:22 PM
The Redhawk is the better choice if you plan to load them hot.

If you have long fingers and a big hand you might like the Redhawk, as the aftermarket rubber grips were made for mutantly large hands.

I don't have huge hands so I traded my Redhawk off.

But my M629 is a keeper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Pistols/HogueXgriponM629-4sideviewDSCN6334.jpg

22-rimfire
April 2, 2010, 10:42 PM
I'd also take the Redhawk if yo're okay with the barrel length.

aHFo3
April 3, 2010, 12:07 AM
Slamfire, nice! Is that a 5"?

The intended purpose would be an everything gun: walking around in the woods, plinking, hunting, and showing friends.

I'm not too concerned about the size. I'm 6'6" 230, so a couple extra inches aren't a big deal while in the woods.

Also, I handload, so the appeal of hot loads through is Ruger is high, but I am a S&W guy. The polished finish is a turn off, and I have zero experience with the porting. The porting, from what I hear (no pun) it makes them quite a bit louder, and is an extra spot to clean, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

TwoNiner
April 3, 2010, 01:24 AM
Redhawk

Boxhead
April 3, 2010, 01:42 PM
You could not give me a Redhawk. Take the Smith and load it with a good WFN at 275 grs or so at 1200 fps and it will do all are asking and not beat up the gun. I used that load two weeks on a pretty healthy hog and my hunting partner thought I was missing as he watched the mud fly beyond the pig after blowing threw it. I would have no problem hunting black bear, elk or moose with that load.

roaddog28
April 3, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hi,
Comparing a Ruger Redhawk to a Smith 629 is like comparing a Mack Truck to a Chevy pickup. The Redhawk is stronger and will take any factory ammo and also hand loaded ammo a person whats to put through the gun. The Redhawk will not have to be sent back for a "tune up". I have two Rugers. One is a Police Service Six 4 inch. Built in 1985 I have never had to replace any parts on the revolver. This revolver as seen many and many rounds of 357 ammo. My whole point is this. For durability and strength the Ruger. For refinement and trigger the Smith. Nothing wrong with a 629 but it you intend to shoot a lot of 44 magnums whether factory or hand loads you will probably being sending the 629 in from time to time for repair work. I doubt with the Ruger you would ever have to have any major work done.

Good luck,
roaddog28

Walkalong
April 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
I like 5.5" Redhawks (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=114476&d=1264876750), and I like shooting them with the wooden grips.

My 29-3 doesn't get shot much at all. I traded my first one because I never shot it, then got another because everyone should have one, but it sits idle in the safe. Beautiful gun though.

It's mostly a recoil thing with me.

Sunray
April 3, 2010, 10:44 PM
"...no comparison in the single-action trigger..." All new firearms require a trigger job due to frivolous U.S. law suits.
"...have a 29-2..." If an M29 fits your hand, so will a 629. A 7.5" Redhawk weighs 54 oz. Nearly 4 lbs. A 6" M629 weighs 45 oz. Nearly 3 lbs. Both are roughly the same money. Toss a coin.
"...don't have huge hands..." A SuperRedhawk has the same size grips as a GP100. Fits my short, but wide hands. Still a great, big, SOB.

Magnumite
April 4, 2010, 09:29 PM
Since you have a Smith, I'd get the Ruger. From the factory, the Smith will probably have the better single action trigger. The Ruger action can be tuned to rival a good S&W action job. I know that personally.
That Redhawk will take a steady diet of loads that will shoot the 29's loose. It's plenty accurate and is even competitive in fast double action shooting on bowling pins.

I have my handload test target from years ago and it's a 3/4" group at 50 yards - off the bags, of course. While I don't keep round counts, an accurate estimate of this particular Redhawk's use is about 15,000 rounds...light, medium and heavy loads all included in that count. And it is still tight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Redhawk vs 629" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!