S&w 442?

PDA

fxstchewy
April 3, 2010, 09:54 AM
I was shooting some MFS 158gr .38 special loads through my 442 when i went to eject them one was tight, i pushed it out and noticed the brass had ruptured towards the middle of the casing, then i looked at the cylinder for damage but did not see any, would you be concerned?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 442?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bad4dr
April 3, 2010, 10:51 AM
If there is no damage to the gun and no damage to your person, I wouldn't be concerned. Ruptured cases happen; if you snoop around these forums enough you'll come across several stories of cases that didn't hold up to the task. If you're worried about the 442, give it a good checkout, look it over very closely, and maybe even spec the cylinders with a bore gauge if you have one. I think you'll find that your shooter is still in fine shape.

You may want to closely examine other cases from that same box for cracks, too. Could have been a bad batch...it happens. If you find others, you may want to skip over that brand in the future.

joeq
May 7, 2010, 07:33 PM
I've heard from several people that MFS ammo is prone to case ruptures. Then I have heard it shoots perfectly fine. I bought some MFS 38 special from Cabelas for 11.99 a box. I'm going to shoot it this weekend to really see if the ammo is decent for target shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w 442?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!