Wife wants a wheelgun...

PDA

ChileRelleno
April 4, 2010, 03:18 AM
Wife wants a wheelgun for CCW purse carry.

She just spent the day at a pistol course, came away preferring revolver over pistol.
Got to shoot 4-6 each of various pistols/revolvers, flying brass apparently made'er flinch badly.
Really liked such offerings as the S&W model 10 4" .38 +P.
She is fine with the size, weight & recoil of such, but wants more firepower/rounds.

I have some ideas of what I want for'er to have, .380/.357 or 9mm, 3-4"bbl, 7-8rnds, small - medium frame and under $1K.
My first thought was a S&W PC 627 .357, but it may be too heavy for'er, gonna need to rent/borrow one.

Appreciate any recommendations/opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wife wants a wheelgun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Radagast
April 4, 2010, 05:21 AM
If you want more firepower and she likes the model 10, get her two model 10s.

For a minor increase in round count, while maintaining most of the feel of the Model 10, look at the S&W Model 619. L frame for durability, 4 inch barrel, fixed sights, seven shot cylinder and doesn't have the heavy underlug of the 686 that it is based on.

Before committing to the idea of carrying .357 magnum she should shoot one first, there is a big increase in recoil from .38 specials to .357 magnum.

My firm opinion is that ladies should pick their own guns. Husbands and boyfriends should point out features and possible drawbacks, but in the end our place is to open our wallets, shut up and pay up. It's the lady who has to be confident in her firearm if the day comes that she actually needs it.

ChileRelleno
April 4, 2010, 05:36 AM
She just spent the day at a pistol course.
Shooting everything from .22-.45 (.357 included), outta both pistol & revolver of various make/model, with one on one instruction.

The whole idea was to give'er a good idea of what she likes, and she came away sweet on medium frame revolvers, firing .38/.357 & 9mm.
But she likes the idea of another round or two, so thread are to give her more ideas.

She has final say on the purchase, it's her weapon.

General Geoff
April 4, 2010, 05:49 AM
the 627 is an excellent weapon, and you can get smaller grips if she has small hands. The extra pound or so that it weighs over, say, a 686 will help tame the recoil of .357 rounds. There's really no downside to the N-frame size, if she's going to be carrying it in a purse anyway.

Radagast
April 4, 2010, 06:11 AM
Cool. The basic options are then a S&W 619, 620 or 686 plus with a seven shot cylinder, or a 627 with an 8 shot cylinder.

The other option you could look at is to have a revolver machined for moonclips, for faster reloads, some of the 627s are machined at the factory. The problem with this is that moonclips are more likely to bend and or loose their rounds than a HKS speedloader.

Please note the 627 is a much larger gun than the K frame model 10, so she should at least handle one before deciding on it. The L frames are slightly enlarged K frames with better durability, especially when shot with .357 magnum rounds.

Personally I would stay away from the Taurus offerings as their quality is very variable. You will find many threads on this forum with people either praising them or denouncing them. The problem is you may end up one of the people denouncing them. :P

If I was buying a gun as a gift, it needed to be a .357 magnum and it needed to feel like a K frame in the owners hand, then I think I would look at the 686 SSR. This has a narrow barrel which makes it balance like the model 10.

General Geoff
April 4, 2010, 07:29 AM
The problem with this is that moonclips are more likely to bend and or loose their rounds than a HKS speedloader.

I guarantee a moon clip will not lose any rounds just from rattling around in a purse. You have to use a special demooning tool to remove spent casings from them, for goodness sakes! :)

Guillermo
April 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
While I am not a fan of carry in the purse, make sure that the revolver is holstered in some way. In addition to the safety aspects, it keeps lint, coins, bobby pins etc out of the action.

That said, onto your issue of finding the right gun. I totally agree with Ragstat that you should guide in in the search, invite other opinions but ultimately let her make the decision. After all, it is her gun.

And as always, shoot before you buy

357mag.
April 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
Wife just picked-up her new C/C the other day.She had rented/shot many differnt pistols/calibers before she made her choice.I think she figured that she would "kill two birds with one stone"by picking this one,as red is her favorite color and she knows I won't be asking to shoot it (in public anyway ;) http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/trapper37/008-1.jpg http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/trapper37/009-1.jpg

Nushif
April 4, 2010, 01:09 PM
Good Choice, I think.

A .38 Snubbie is arguably the best gun on the face of the planet for pure civilian self defense ... can you tell I'm biased?

Opinion aside though, nice little gun. My wife is starting to steal my little Terrier, for carrying, recently, so I think there's trend there.

RatDrall
April 4, 2010, 01:35 PM
If she liked the model 10, why not go with that? I'm wearing a Model 64 (stainless model 10) right now. It shoots into the same hole at 10 yards, groups widen up past that but I'm pretty sure it's just me. The wife can hit milk jugs at 100 yards with the 4" K-frame in single action. No reason not to get one.

Going from 6 rounds to 7 or 8 is not a significant increase in firepower. You also make the gun significantly wider, and have to step up to a significantly heavier frame. If I were worried about roundcount I'd leave the wheelgun at home and carry a Glock (and sometimes I do).

W.E.G.
April 4, 2010, 01:53 PM
+1 for the Model 10.

I say AVOID lightweight snubnose guns for noob-shooters. I've got a few rounds downrange to my credit, and I still think shooting lightweight .38 snubs, even with NON-plus-P ammo, feels like I'm hitting myself in the median nerve with a ball-peen hammer.

The Model 64 is a good choice too, except that the ones floating around on the used markets these days are mostly DAO. Trigger pull is damn heavy. Do fail to recognize that many noob shooters (especially older women, who have never been around guns) do not have anything near the hand-strength that you possess.

For practice, it gives noob shooters a lot of confidence to know they can shoot accurately in single-action. Once that is mastered, work them up to an acceptable confidence level double-action.

W.E.G.
April 4, 2010, 01:59 PM
Here's a well-done web site that is specifically oriented toward the woman who might want to spend some time reading about the whole subject.

http://www.corneredcat.com

shockwave
April 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
The new Ruger LCR (http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/14/ruger-lcr-review-first-impressions-of-the-new-light-compact-revolver/) has been designed to let the polymer frame take off some of the felt recoil. I'm looking forward to trying one of these myself. Revolver owners need to practice with speedloading - that's part of the arrangement.

bushmaster1313
April 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
The one piece of advice nobody can argue with:

The gun she will enjoy practicing with the most!

roaddog28
April 4, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hi,
Well she likes the model 10. She likes a 4 in barrel. She would like to have a revolver that can shoot a hotter round than a 38 special. Here is a suggestion. A model 13/65 in 4 inch. The 65 might be better because the Stainless is easier to maintain. The 13 or 65 is a fixed sight revolver like the model 10. They would be better to carry in a purse. With a 13 or 65 she can shoot any 38 or 38+P ammo through the gun. Now, if she can handle the recoil of the 357 round there are some very good medium power rounds for SD. One such round is Remington Golden Saber 125g HP. And of course there are more. The medium power 357s will have less recoil than a full house 357. For me I still have a model 10 4 inch and use 158gr SWCHP +P round for SD/HD. Although not a 357 round, they still get the job done if she does her part.

Good luck,
roaddog28

JellyJar
April 4, 2010, 03:43 PM
Did she get a chance to shoot a Colt Agent or DS?

If I were to consider a wheel gun for SD I would seriously consider a Ruger SP 101 six shot in .327 Federal. I don't like the recoil from .357 mag in small handguns and I like the idea of 6 vs 5 rounds.

I would also somehow get a spur less DA only hammer.

Radagast
April 5, 2010, 04:53 AM
Good point General Geoff. The 625 that I shot back in the dark ages definitely needed a demooning tool. The 627 moon clips that my local gun pusher showed me were quite flimsy in comparison and easily bent. I didn't however try clipping in or removing rounds, so my assumption of their reliability was just that.

jad0110
April 5, 2010, 09:58 AM
She just spent the day at a pistol course.
Shooting everything from .22-.45 (.357 included), outta both pistol & revolver of various make/model, with one on one instruction.

The whole idea was to give'er a good idea of what she likes, and she came away sweet on medium frame revolvers, firing .38/.357 & 9mm.
But she likes the idea of another round or two, so thread are to give her more ideas.

She has final say on the purchase, it's her weapon.

Good man, that's how you do it. :cool:

If she likes the feel of the 4" K-Frame based model 10, but would like more than 6 rounds and in .357, I think the closest feeling gun would be the 4" 7 shot L-Frame based 619 (fixed sights) or 620 (adjustable sights), as suggested by Radagast. The L Frame has an identical grip frame to the K Frame (round butt to round butt and square to square), as well as the exact same trigger reach. Basically, the 619/620 will feel/operate very similarly to the 10, with a 7th shot and .357 Mag capability. They'll be a bit more muzzle heavy, what with the extra beefinees in the top strap and forcing cone area, but it shouldn't be a big issue.

The 7 shot 686 Plus (adj sights, stainless) is another option. They do have the advantage of being offered in barrel lengths shorter than 4" (2.5" being most common, but S&W does sometimes sell 3" variants in limited numbers). IIRC, a small number of 7 shot 586s (adj sights, blued) were also sold before that model was discontinued, so they are pretty rare.

As for a partial vs full underlug barrel (619, 620 vs 586, 686), it is just a matter of preference. The full lug adds additional heft at the muzzle end, all things else being equal. And all things being equal, a full lug muzzle heavy gun will hang more steadily on target (assuming sufficient arm strength to hold it steady) and reduce muzzle rise under recoil (greater inertia). A partial lug gun OTH will transition between targets more quickly and cleanly. As for pointability, that is subjective as well. I prefer the quicker handling feel and better pointability (for me) of partial/no lugs myself.

The N Frame 627 on the other hand, well, she definitely needs to handle one before buying. Even when equipped with the smallest stocks possible, N Frames still have a longer trigger reach than K/L frames. So much so that it is not uncommon for some folks under roughly 5'6" to have trouble reaching the trigger.

WYO
April 5, 2010, 01:58 PM
I would put something the size and weight of the Model 10 (or the model 627) in her purse and let her carry it around for a week and see how that works out for her. She may want to downsize some. As for capacity, that is just one of the trade offs with a revolver. Rather than trying to go for some unique item that picks up one or two shots, just train a lot. How many documented cases are out there where a citizen with a CCW got killed because they ran out of ammo in a confrontation and the bad guy shot them? I personally like the 3 inch SP101 with Buffalo Bore +P .38s, but there also are 3 inch S&W 6 shot guns.

Setzer77
April 5, 2010, 04:56 PM
If she's willing to deal with only 6 shots, a 3-4" k frame is unbeatable. Take a hard look at Buffalo Bore's +p 158gr loads, they're as tough as a .38 gets.

rmfnla
April 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
Wifey's gonna have a gun; now you gotta be a good boy! :D

GDW
April 5, 2010, 07:21 PM
Consider a S&W 242. I saw three on Gunbroker recently. 7 rounds, light weight. My wife shoots a 642 very well, and she's not really a shooter per-say. She shoots standard loads and +P well. My daughter also shoots it well. My wife is 105 lbs and daughter 100 lbs. Anyway, all good suggestions. Good luck.

BCRider
April 5, 2010, 10:36 PM
Get some Safariland speed loaders and have her train with them to reload quickly. To show her what it's like check out YouTube with the key words "ipsc revolver" and "revolver spead loader". A small but well done series of videos showing how fast it can be done turned up.

sleepyone
April 6, 2010, 01:24 AM
my wife will be getting her Ruger LCR on her 40th birthday this month. She held it and the 642 but liked the trigger and the grip much better on the LCR. I bought the 642 for myself just to have our bases covered. She has been keeping a XD9 subcompact in her car but won't carry it due to size and weight; hence the reason for the LCR. Only downside is she will be going from 14 rounds to five, but if she does not have the gun on her when she needs it then she really is going from zero rounds to five!

SwordRapier
April 6, 2010, 12:47 PM
.327 more power than a .38. Extra bullet in j framed revolvers.

.327 its fast because it's fast it has an nice flat trajectory so its accurate. It doesn't have quite the recoil of a .357 whats not to love.

(Oh wee the flames will now commence.)

S&W makes one. Rugar makes several different models; sp101, gp100, and blackhawk.
Charter Arms makes one. Tauras makes one. One that list you should find a manufacturer that you consider reliable.

Out of the 327 platform you can shoot .32 SW,.32 SW long, .32 H&R and .327 federal mag.

Four different cartridges 2 of which have been around forever. The chambering is getting more and more popular all the time.

wnycollector
April 6, 2010, 05:58 PM
+1 on the model 10 or 619/620 suggestions.

My wife absconds with my 2.75" Ruger security six any time she feels like it:( Lucky for me, I picked up a S&W M13 recently or I might have been mad at her! Seriously, both my wife and father-in-laws girlfriend are die hard revolver girls. They love the simplicity of the revolver vs a pistol. Both of them are also drawn to medium framed revolvers. My wife loads the Six with the speer short barreled .357 round (really just a hot +p .38 loading) in the ruger when she carries it. I think the remington 158gr +P .38 load in a 3 or 4" barrel would be very formidable if push came to shove.

Checkman
April 6, 2010, 08:15 PM
So your wife wants a revolver. Good for her. I'm glad to see some people still appreciate the classics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wife wants a wheelgun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!