Old? Hodgdon black powder

PDA

joelvca
April 4, 2010, 12:34 PM
I have just acquired several unopened cans of Hodgdon BP, and cannot find any indication of manufacturer or date/lot#/etc. I'm hoping to get some more information on who actually manufactured it & when, quality, etc. They are in steel cans with white plastic rip-strip-sealed lids centered on the top. The sides are painted red and there is a red & white (red background) paper label on one side with:

(Hodgdon logo)
HODGDON
BLACK
POWDER
(large white triangle with granulation printed in red)
(small print)DANGER - EXTREMELY FLAMABLE
SEE PRECAUTIONS ON BACK OF CAN

Except that there is nothing but the red paint on the back of the can. The top & bottom are unpainted plated steel (with light rust).

The Hodgdon logo has the white circle (bomb) background with the fuze burning at the 1:30 position, the outline H surmounted with a red triangle surmounted with a hooded bead front sight.

This being Canada, I would have expected some French bilingual labeling but there is none.

Help???

Joel

If you enjoyed reading about "Old? Hodgdon black powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 4, 2010, 08:24 PM
I think it was made by "Curtis & Harvey" of Scotland. That is the only kind
of Black Powder I shot 35 years ago. It's about 10 grs. slower that Goex.
It's about the same strength as the old "Elephant" brand. It's a good powder
but dirty. Bleeds a lot red streaks in bore.

w30wcf
April 4, 2010, 10:07 PM
joelvca,
In an article entitled "Black Powder Then And Now" in the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook, first published in 1976, in part, it indicates:

"Today, the company is know as Nobel's Explosives Company Ltd., and furnishes much of their blackpowder to the U.S. market. You, the shooter, can buy this powder under several labels, including Hodgdon's, Meteor, and Curtis and Harvey."

"How good the powder is will depend on when it was produced. ICI (C&H) sporting powder had been made using a glossy buckthorn alder wood charcoal produced "in-house". The wood having been shipped to the plant in Scotland from Spain and southern France. Around 1970 the supply of glossy buckthorn alder from Spain and France simply dried up. No more was to be had.

The ICI (C&H) plant in Scotland had been using commercially prepared charcoal(s) in the slower-burning powders. When the supply of glossy buckthorn alder was stopped they had to use the commercial charcoal in the sporting powders. Powder quality took a dive. It was also a factor in the decision to cease powder production.

So for the last two years of operation at Ardeer the quality of the small-arms (sporting) powder was not what it had once been." (Quote from Dutch Bill, b.p. guru).

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=4192.0;highlight=hodgdon

w30wcf
aka w44wcf (black powder)

If you enjoyed reading about "Old? Hodgdon black powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!