century ar15a1


PDA






trigga
April 4, 2010, 09:28 PM
i wanted an a1 upper for a new build but came across this page and was wondering if anyone has this gun. great for the price. guess the lower is new and upper is used. good deal? haven't really heard much on century lowers.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/product71389.html

If you enjoyed reading about "century ar15a1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyanM
April 4, 2010, 09:53 PM
90% chance of being garbage, 10% chance of being mediocre.

Check out CMMG's bargain bin and save yourself an additional $100.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

nalioth
April 4, 2010, 10:10 PM
Definitely look into the CMMG bargain bin. . .

Stay away from the Century garbage bin . .

trigga
April 5, 2010, 02:45 AM
wow the bargin bin sounds great but i think i would rather buy a used one locally that i can see up front.

nalioth
April 5, 2010, 02:52 AM
wow the bargin bin sounds great but i think i would rather buy a used one locally that i can see up front. I'd suggest you do your research.

I've NEVER heard a complaint about a CMMG bargain bin rifle.

CMMG is good people.

vanfunk
April 5, 2010, 07:04 AM
I don't see anything wrong here, as long as the lower is made to spec. Century doesn't manufacture their own, so someone is making them, and most "someones" these days are making in-spec receivers. The upper is USGI made by Colt, so it'll be good. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed for saying this, but I'd take this over a CMMG bargain bin rifle.

vanfunk

nalioth
April 5, 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't see anything wrong here, as long as the lower is made to spec. Century doesn't manufacture their own, so someone is making them, and most "someones" these days are making in-spec receivers. The upper is USGI made by Colt, so it'll be good. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed for saying this, but I'd take this over a CMMG bargain bin rifle.

vanfunk If you can be absolutely certain the Century offerings are free of monkey-poo, I'm sure it's a valid theory.

. . . but you can't be sure how much the monkeys have "worked" on the parts (nor where the parts came from [they're used military parts]).

Nugilum
April 5, 2010, 11:59 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/nugilum/centurymonkey1.png http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/nugilum/CenturyMonkey2.png

RP88
April 6, 2010, 12:07 AM
^all you need to do is demotivationalize it:D

although, Century does get some things right. I have a Yugo M70AB2 coming in eventually (still waiting for it to ship...), and I've only heard but good things about them. Either way, fingers crossed.

Z-Michigan
April 6, 2010, 12:25 AM
I would go for CMMG bargain bin. I would also suggest Del-Ton and DoubleStar rifles as quality inexpensive plinkers. I would avoid that Century.

Century can turn out working rifles, sometimes even fairly good ones, but you're taking your chances. And in the AR-15 realm you would be spending more and getting less. Sure, a few of the parts may be original Colt. Guess what, they're probably 30-40 years old, worn and simply refinished. And Colt is not the uber-perfect maker that some see it as anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "century ar15a1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!