Capper for my Ruger Old Army?

PDA

Tallbald
April 5, 2010, 12:01 AM
Had a great day with family shooting after lunch. Shot my latest ROA for the first time and it was the most fun shooting I've had in a while. I'm new to BP revolvers and would really appreciate guidance on a good capper for my Ruger. I think I've read that there are some that won't work because of the way the nipples are separated at the back of the cylinder. A specific brand and style pointer would be welcome. Thanks, Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Capper for my Ruger Old Army?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
azyogi
April 5, 2010, 01:58 AM
I use a strait line capper, the type sold at Cabellas. just about anywhere really.

pohill
April 5, 2010, 02:58 AM
I've never had any luck with cappers. I think it's harder to load a capper than it is to cap a cylinder. I live in the northeast and the Ruger Old Army is my "go to" gun on a cold day because they're the easiest gun to load and cap (wider chambers (.457), and the nipples are more accessible for capping). I like to pinch the caps for a better fit and that can't be done with any cappers I've tried.
Well, it looks like I didn't help you very much.

mykeal
April 5, 2010, 07:10 AM
I use the Ted Cash 'snail' capper with my ROA. It's much better than handling caps with arthritic thumbs. I did have to file the 'spout' a little to cut it back and keep it from interfering with the sides of the nipple recess but once that's done it works very quickly and smoothly. They hold 100 caps, so you only need to load it once for a couple of range sessions. Loading is easy and straightforward - the most effort required is to turn over the caps that don't land right side up when you dump them in from the tin.

You simply depress the thumb button on the side while holding the spout down and a cap slides in place, held by the springs on the side. Then just place the cap on the nipple and pull the capper away to the side to pull the cap out of the spring jaws. It does require the cylinder to be rotated to the right location so the spout can fully enter the recess and put the cap on the nipple - learning just where to place the cylinder takes a bit of practice.

BullRunBear
April 5, 2010, 07:26 AM
Try the Ted Cash snail shaped capper. I've used one on my C&B revolvers for years. I have big, thick fingers and it's difficult for me to put caps on a revolver by hand.

The Cash cappers (I use the sorta oval shaped one for single shot percusion guns) will hold a hundred caps. I use a wooden toothpick to turn them right side up when filling the capper.

A lot of the people I shoot with have been using Ted Cash cappers for a long time, both the brass and german silver versions. They get tarnished but just keep working. I find them MUCH easier to use and fill versus the usual straight line cappers.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

madcratebuilder
April 5, 2010, 08:22 AM
I prefer the stick cappers. I have two styles, one is 90* to the cylinder.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/capper-p_1.jpg

The second is a true straight line capper, pushes the cap on in a straight line.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/oldcap01.jpg

AbitNutz
April 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
I have to agree with Mykeal and BullRunBear. I just came back from shooting a 100, (literally just came back 10 minutes ago) plus shots from my ROA and used a Ted Cash snail capper. There is nothing easier to load with caps or get caps on the nipples. It is just perfect for the ROA. I use Treso nipples and Remington #11 caps and RWS 1075's. Both work excellently well.

Do yourself a favor and get a Ted Cash snail capper. You won't regret it. There's nothing better...and believe me, I've looked.

Acorn Mush
April 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have to agree with Mykeal and BullRunBear. I just came back from shooting a 100, (literally just came back 10 minutes ago) plus shots from my ROA and used a Ted Cash snail capper. There is nothing easier to load with caps or get caps on the nipples. It is just perfect for the ROA. I use Treso nipples and Remington #11 caps and RWS 1075's. Both work excellently well.

Do yourself a favor and get a Ted Cash snail capper. You won't regret it. There's nothing better...and believe me, I've looked.

I absolutely agree!!! My experience coincides exactly with yours. Can't go wrong with the Cash snail capper and Treso nipples.

Tallbald
April 7, 2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I'll be shopping locally and on the net the next few days. Gotta have a kit set up with all the little fun accessories that will keep me busy at the range. That is a lot of the fun it seems. Thanks again, Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Capper for my Ruger Old Army?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!