Undersized plated 45?

PDA

cray2751
April 5, 2010, 01:03 AM
Well I got my Powerbond 200 grn RN 45 bullets in and was about to load some up but before I did I measured a few just to make sure they were gtg. The ones I measure came in at .450 and .4505 to me these are undersized because they are suppose to be .451 but this is my first experience with plated bullets. So, is this the norm on these and would they be ok and be accurate coming in at these measurements. Also if anyone has some plated 45 laying around and could give me a measurement that would be great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Undersized plated 45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ljnowell
April 5, 2010, 01:20 AM
No. How accurate are you measuring instruments?

cray2751
April 5, 2010, 01:32 AM
I would think pretty accurate. Using the same caliper I use for everything. It is electronic but I re-zeroed it several times and even measured other bullets and they all read out perfectly the right size.

ljnowell
April 5, 2010, 02:02 AM
Sounds undersized to me. Several plated bullets i have loaded were sized like lead .001" over.

ArchAngelCD
April 5, 2010, 02:16 AM
I would contact the company and see what they say. When there's a problem like that most companies will make good on the defective product.

cray2751
April 5, 2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that my thoughts were correct of those being undersized.

Walkalong
April 5, 2010, 07:29 AM
If they are indeed .450, they are undersized by a hair, but if you get good neck tension with them, they will be safe, & they will most likely still shoot better than most folks can hold.

Remo-99
April 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
0.0005-0.001" under normally shouldn't be a deal breaker, unless your bore and/or throats are quite oversized which would only add to the problem.
Normally the bullet should fatten out to the bore size, once whacked up the backside by a worthy powder charge igniting.

Still a word to the manufaturer doesn't hurt, just so they have some customer feedback.

243winxb
April 5, 2010, 12:59 PM
Use a micrometer to measure.

rcmodel
April 5, 2010, 02:04 PM
Powerbond 200 grn RN 45 are advertised as .451" and that's what they should be.

As for your digital calipers?
Nothing wrong with using them if they are accurate.
Check them against a known diameter Hornady, Speer, etc jacketed bullet and see if you get the right numbers.

If you do, your Powerbond bullets are too small.

I'd say any accuracy issues are the least of your concerns.
The kicker is the too small bullets will not have proper case neck tension and could possibly suffer set-back during feeding.

That can result in a Series of Unfortunate Events.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Undersized plated 45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!