Choosing rings/mount for a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint

PDA

jwh2
April 5, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint in .308 that I want to purchase a set of rings/mount for. I have narrowed my choice down to the mounts made for Weatherby by Talley or the DNZ Game Reaper mount. Here are the links.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/accessories/shootersaccessory/40457
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=759311

If you have used either of these or both what is your opinion on them? Pros and cons on each type of mount? Thanks for your input.

James

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing rings/mount for a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
April 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
I have Talleys on my Model 70. Great rings, and very light (not top priority for a varminter, I'd guess).

On my Vanguard I have Warne QD's on Warne bases. If you don't mind that they weigh a little, I recommend them. They return to zero like clockwork, which is nice for gun maintenance. You don't have to leave a big scope on your barreled action if you're messing with the trigger, cleaning the barrel thoroughly to remove copper, etc.

WNTFW
April 6, 2010, 12:17 AM
Like Armed Bear I really like QD type mounts in general. Picatinny rails offer a lot of flexibility for scope mounting. The Vanguard and Rem 700 mounts are the same on the Long Action so I assume they are on the Short Action. A 20 MOA base such as EGW is a good start. Then you can use Burris or Leupold or another Weaver / Picatinny rings. The EGW base / Burris Xtreme Tactical ring are my got to mounts. You can spend a lot more, but it is hard to spend less without stepping down in quality. Seekins make some nice bases & ring also.

I have a friend that gets the DNZ. My brother does not like anything that hinders the port access such as 1 piece mounts.

mshootnit
April 6, 2010, 12:48 AM
I really like my Warne tactical rail and Leupold PRW rings, QRW would also be very nice. I don't think you can beat a setup like that.

slabuda
April 6, 2010, 12:53 AM
You didnt mention them but I chose Leupold rings/bases. Good quality for a decent price.

jwh2
April 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your feedabck folks.

James

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing rings/mount for a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!