Anyone buy a .327 magnum yet? Thoughts?

PDA

gunnutery
April 6, 2010, 05:48 AM
I've been curious if anyone has bothered to buy anything chambering a .327 federal magnum yet. I personally don't really want one (although if one was given to me I wouldn't complain). I know one of the reasons for its development was similar ballistics to a .357 mag with reduced recoil. I'm sure there are some out there that hate recoil, but I never thought the .357 mag was all that bad.

For those of you that have the new chambering, what do you think? Does it live up to the hype? Does it hurt the wallet? Can you even find ammo on the shelf?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone buy a .327 magnum yet? Thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr.Revolverguy
April 6, 2010, 07:19 AM
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=518

BigBore
April 6, 2010, 08:20 AM
I purchased a Ruger SP 101 in .327 mag and purchased Hornady 60-gr. XTP-HP ..I also have a .357 mag in the SP101 and I must say I still prefer the 357 over the 327..The .357 is one of the most popular revolver rounds ever made if not the most popular.The ammo is everywhere for the .357 except for Toys R Us..LOL..I just have too many revolvers chambered in .357 mag so I may be bias ..My Colt Python and Dan Wesson refuse to live in the same firearms safe as the little SP 101 in .327 so I will sell it most likely...

Look here for a short answer : No I do NOT think its a better or equal caliber and no ammo is not as readily available..Also I am finding the .327 ammo more expensive when I do find it..

MMCSRET
April 6, 2010, 09:45 AM
I bought one last year simply because 32 is my favorite revolver caliber. I own Colts, S&W, Charter Arms and Taurus 32 Caliber revolvers that date from 1907 to 2009. I like them all because they are 32 caliber. I cast my bullets and load my own ammunition and the 327 Magnum is a welcome addition to the family. I like'm all!!!!!!!!!

Just One Shot
April 6, 2010, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't mind having one for the novelty of it but I can't remember ever seeing ammo in any of the stores I've visited.

340PD
April 6, 2010, 10:03 AM
A friend at the range just bought one and loves it. I think he shoots four different variations of .32 out of it. He has had it for four weeks and it is the only gun he now takes out of his range bag.

SwordRapier
April 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
I own one, I enjoy shooting it. I have it for ccw.

The panic buying of ammo is slowing down that should free manufacturing up for building something other the .40 .45 and 9mm so ammunition of all types should become more available. It's not that the .327 ammo can't be found it just takes a little more work.

mesinge2
April 6, 2010, 06:08 PM
A friend at the range just bought one and loves it. I think he shoots four different variations of .32 out of it. He has had it for four weeks and it is the only gun he now takes out of his range bag.

I am unfamiliar with .32 caliber rounds, other than the pistol variations (.32 ACP, .32 NAA, etc); I am assuming it is like my .460 being able to chamber 454 and 45 colt. What are the 4 calibers capable of being fired out of the 327 Magnum?

ArmedBear
April 6, 2010, 06:17 PM
Not sure about 4, but .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W Long can be, in addition to .327 Federal. Maybe .32 S&W Short?

So, next time you find a sale on .32 S&W Long at the local Sportsman's Mega Emporium, you can pick up a few thousand rounds...

I mean, seriously, the whole, "I'll buy this gun because it will also shoot 8mm Bolivian Largo, too!" thing is silly, with the exception of a few calibers like .357 and .460, because .38 Special, .454 Casull and .45 Colt are active cartridges, not fossils. Still, with any "magnum" it's been my experience that POI changes so much with different rounds, that I just don't care what else it shoots, once my sights are dialed in (not as much of an issue with snubbies).

If I bought a .327, it would be to shoot .327. I haven't bought one, yet. I'd buy a lightweight Centennial in .327, but when it came down to writing the check, I'd probably err on the side of compatibility and stick with .38/.357 to match a good few guns (and die sets) I already own.:)

stonewall308
April 6, 2010, 07:45 PM
Honestly, unless you are an abnormally small person, I can't understand people complaining about recoil. I have no problem with .357 recoil, or .3006 for that matter. Shooting a firearm shouldn't feel like a massage. If you want to plink, get a .22. If you need a gun that causes serious tissue damage, don't worry about the recoil; when the shtf, you won't feel it anyway.

The only time I have worried about recoil is in choosing a gun for my wife.

W.E.G.
April 6, 2010, 08:32 PM
I think its one of those calibers for shooters who want something different.

One down-side of this caliber, is it won't fit in short frames like the Single-Six.
Y'all DO KNOW the .32 H&R Mag was built on the Single-Six frame?

I guess this is a J-Frame that S&W is building the 632 on.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/SmithandWesson632.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/SmithandWesson632stainless.jpg

I'm sure both of these guns are very good shooters, but they don't please my eye. Probably the rubber grips. I respect the PRACTICAL aspect of those grips. As ugly as they are, they make recoil on my .357 Model 60 quite tolerable.

I'm just a traditionalist I guess.
Love the checkered coco bolo wood on a Smith and Wesson.
I think I'd have to have one if S&W would offer a 6-shot model in a non-geeked K-frame.
I don't need (let alone want) a .32 revolver that looks like an Alien Star Cruiser.

I think the Ruger SP101 is the gun that comes closest to getting it right for this caliber.
Compact, clean lines, discreetly-adjustable rear sight, and at a fantastic price.

The full under-lug seems a bit much, but is only a minor issue.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/SP101327.jpg

Ruger will sell you a full-blown Blackhawk in this caliber too.
8-shots.
That doesn't ring my chime at all.
Probably won't sell many, so it will become a "rarity" for the true Ruger-o-phile collectors.

The sleeper that nobody seems to mention is the Charter Arms "Patriot."
I like the looks of the four-inch model a lot.
The billboard on the barrel is louder than I care for, and the focus in the advertising on the included-gimmick-knife really detracts from the gun. I mean, what am I supposed to do with some cheap BUT-WAIT!... THERE'S MORE!!! knife. Clearly, I'm failing to appreciate something.

So, throw the knife in the bottom of the junk drawer, because I can promise you there will be no win-the-lottery collector's market for an N.I.B.-with-accessories Patriot ten presidents from now. I'm looking forward to handling one. If fit-and-finish is good, the Patriot might be a close contender for "best .327 shooter." Again, the grips are an issue for me, because most rubber grips turn me off. At least I know I can get REALLY GOOD wood grips for the Ruger and the S&W's if I want to write large checks. Not so sure about the availability of good wood for Charter guns. Might be a bit weird to put that sort of investment toward a gun that doesn't usually attract folks with Obsessive Acquisition Syndrome, and thick wallets.

I'm still willing to give the Patriot a chance to prove itself.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/patriot4inch.jpg

I believe Taurus is making some plain-jane snub-nose guns in this caliber.
Well, OK.
If you want to shoot hard-to-obtain .32 caliber supersonic ammo in a carry piece, maybe the Taurus is the way to go. Maybe the .327 Federal Magnum ammo is not as "blasty" as .357 magnum ammo. But, if I had to crank off five rounds of ammo, in a hallway, from a snubnose revolver, I'd choose a subsonic 158-grain .38 Special over anything supersonic. Frankly, I don't foresee Taurus selling many of those guns. They offer nothing unique in terms of style.

As for the ammo-interchangeability issue, I don't think its that anybody thinks people are going to dig up old boxes of .32 Long, or any of the other calibers the .327 will accommodate. Rather, a lot of reloaders already have dies that will work with the .327. So, that is attractive to folks who want to roll their own on the cheap. That is, IF they could find any jacketed bullets. Try to find some. I dare you. Anybody reloading .32-anything these days are going to reload PLAIN LEAD bullets, or they won't be shooting.
Hopefully, the aint-no-jacketed-.32-bullets-nowhere situation will improve soon.

The .32... whether magnum or .32 short is one of those rounds you can DOWN-LOAD to the point of being unbelievable. It is kinda neat to get pellet-gun sounds out of a "real gun." Why?... you say. Oh, I don't know. I like to play with sparklers too... and I'm not sure why.

I guess if I were downloading WAY DOWN, I might want to use one of the short cases, rather than full-length .327 Magnum brass. Of course, that gets us into the deep realm of hobby shooting, and far-far away from whatever Smith and Wesson had in mind when they conceived the uber-concealed-carry styling of those four-figure-price-tag model 632's.

I have a 32-20 (which is NOT one of the interchangeable calibers), a couple .32 S&W's (".32 short"), and a .32 H&R Magnum.

I still need to get a true .32 long. Only interested in old ones. I'll find a clean one that isn't at a you-have-got-to-be-kidding price one day, and I'm sure I'll have to buy it.

I'm not sure about the .327 yet. They are still making the SP101's. So, I don't feel in a particular hurry to write a check for one.

The .327 Federal Magnum has yet to make a name for itself. I hope it gets the chance to do that before its name is forgotten.

BHPshooter
April 6, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yes, 4 calibers:
.32 S&W Short
.32 S&W Long
.32 H&R Magnum
.327 Federal Magnum

I haven't shot one yet, but I must say, I really like the idea.

Wes

KBintheSLC
April 6, 2010, 08:51 PM
I am waiting for Ruger to make a 6-shot .327 LCR... I'd buy one instantly.

mesinge2
April 6, 2010, 09:02 PM
W.E.G., I could not agree with you more about wood grips on revolvers.

This is my 638-3:

and these are the grips it came with (factory image):

BTW, The only plus for me is having an extra round in a J-frame sized gun without the need to hunt for a Detective Special. I still want one though. I like the look of the Ruger, but the barrel is too long. They should offer a 2.2 inch model like their other SP101's. This would be a great new pocket revolver.

pezo
April 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
That patriot revolver "knife" looks like a kershaw assist opening knife. I have one and it's a fantastic tool. I think the .327 was to give you a power level between .38 and .357 but with one extra shot in a small frame revolver. I dont think it's worth it but if you preferred .32 HR magnum over .38 it gives you more effective ballistics over the old .32 magnum. I'll stick with .357 and .38.

Guillermo
April 6, 2010, 09:43 PM
I have enough calibers

JimGnitecki
April 6, 2010, 10:42 PM
No one appears to have mentioned the obvious advantage of a 327 versus 357:

You can have a six shot J frame based revolver in a magnum caliber. Saw one at the local Cabelas.

Jim G

mesinge2
April 6, 2010, 11:14 PM
originally quoted by JimGnitecki
No one appears to have mentioned the obvious advantage of a 327 versus 357:

You can have a six shot J frame based revolver in a magnum caliber.

I actually mentioned that in post # 14

And pezo mentioned it post # 15:

originally quoted by pezo
I think the .327 was to give you a power level between .38 and .357 but with one extra shot in a small frame revolver

ArmedBear
April 7, 2010, 12:14 AM
P.S. The only plus for me is having an extra round in a J-frame sized gun without the need to hunt for a Detective Special

.32 H&R J-frames have been available with 6 rounds. I've seen a couple. The fact that few people know about them indicates that they haven't been overwhelmingly popular.

Somehow, when a cartridge comes out with a new name, old becomes new again... This is a marketing opportunity for S&W et al., I guess.

What I really don't get is the 8-round Blackhawk. Blackhawks are a PITA to load and unload as it is, since they don't index like SAAs or Ruger 3-screws at half-cock. What would induce me to buy some new ones would be the reverse-indexing pawl they put in the New Vaqueros, not 8 rounds. 6 rounds of .357 or .44, like I already have, would be fine with me.:)

gunnutery
April 7, 2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Personally, I only stick to common calibers so that I know I'll be able to find them in stores or order them from catalogs.

I've seen quite a few rounds developed to "bridge the gap between" X and Y calliber and I don't really get it. They rarely seem to catch on and if they linger, they still cost a lot more than the original calibers they were trying to bridge.

For those of you that are pleased by the new offerings, I'm glad your needs/wants have been met. I hope you enjoy it. But I think I'll be sticking with .38 spc and .357 mag.

+1 for the wood grips. I can't stand rubber grips (with the exception of Ruger's wood insert grips).

weregunner
April 7, 2010, 04:30 AM
I own quite a few .357 magnum/.38 Special revolvers and recently have become enamored with the .32s. Why? They're fun to shoot and for a long time.

These are also versatile cartridges and get overlooked quite frequently.
There are a lot of people out there who quietly use the .32s, enjoy them, it fills their needs,wants, and niches, and they have no reason to look for anything more.

There are also a great number os us who own larger calibers and enjoy both the larger calibers and the .32s. We do not need an overall set of reasons to use them though we do have those.

Many of us gun owners have various a plethora of calibers. Yes, there are those who do not and wish not to. Fine.

We can also choose freely what we want to shoot.

There are those who buy the .44 mganum,..454 magnum,460 S&W, or the .50 caliber handguns. Yet these same people have little use for them on big dangerous game. Most owners never hunt big critters or will come up against them, yet they buy the majority of the really powerful big bore guns. Those are to have for any number of reasons. Mainly because they can and for reasons that only they know about. Fine.

There's nothing wrong in going the other way. Down through the decades I've kept the articles,books,and and shooting magazines that have shown make the case for the .32s. If you like them,fine. If not, fine. Just don't lok down the nose at those of us who do like the smaller bore guns.

Got a .22lrf gun? Better chuck it if going after the small bore handgun crowd.:what::rolleyes::) Not likely, huh?

I am not taking any of what's been said so far in print as a slam as that was not the posters' intent. Just thought to add a few things to put things in perspective.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=34054.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=33842.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=29852.0

ArmedBear
April 7, 2010, 09:03 AM
Got issues, weregunner?

I don't see where anyone looks down on anyone here for shooting a .32 caliber. Why would they?

I think the .327 may end up a boutique cartridge for pocket revolvers (I'm a big fan of pocket snubbies, myself). One reason that it's been pretty slow going for anything new is the ammo shortage of the past year and a half. That makes the future of a cartridge hard to predict. Certainly, the high prices for .38 Special of late could help push people to try something different -- not that any .32 caliber will be cheaper, but .38 isn't a cheap alternative.

WRT handgunners who shoot for fun, I think that many of us think of a new caliber as a new set of dies, a new load to develop, some new bullets and maybe some different powder to keep around. For some, that may be fun. For others, it's a barrier that requires a new cartridge to be really worth the trouble before they'll mess with it. Since I have more hobbies than shooting handguns, I'm in the latter category. Money and time are limited resources, and I have to budget them.:)

Guillermo
April 7, 2010, 10:44 AM
weregunner

most of the folks on the HighRoad that I have seen like most anything that has burns powder.

Sure, we have our favorites but I have not seen anyone "looked down on" for shooting 32s

Madcap_Magician
April 7, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think that the caliber is great for varminting, small game, and trail guns. I'd love that Pro Series J-frame...

LoneCoon
April 7, 2010, 11:28 AM
..My Colt Python and Dan Wesson refuse to live in the same firearms safe as the little SP 101 in .327 so I will sell it most likely...

Solution: Get a .32H&R Dan Wesson to keep it company. Isn't that always the solution though? Buy another firearm?

W.E.G.
April 7, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have enough calibers

Famous last words of the strong-willed man, just before he succumbs. :evil:

Guillermo
April 7, 2010, 11:49 AM
amous last words of the strong-willed man, just before he succumbs

you are probably right

nitetrane98
April 7, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've got a whole bunch of reasons for wanting one but can't seem to find one good enough to actually plunk down the cash.

1. Based on my younger days building hotrod engines, anything called a 327 just has to be good.
2. In a bit of convoluted logic, if popular ammo isn't available, it's possible that there may still be a box or two of the oddballs still on the shelf.
3. I'd get to buy another reloading setup.
4. Still being relatively new on the scene, there's the opportunity for a rich "gotcha moment" when you say, "It's a .327 Magnum." "A WHAT?, you mean .357 Magnum, there's no such thing as a .327 magnum." I have several wannabe "expert" friends who would jump all over that. Priceless.

On the down side, I'm pretty much a target/plinker type shooter and don't go in too much for the snubby type guns. Give me a 6" barrel on something like a Trooper MkIII frame.

weregunner
April 7, 2010, 04:41 PM
No problems there. Guess I am too used to being at another forum where those who don't need a .32 caliber is read normally that there is no reason for any gun in that caliber. Happens just a bit too much for my tastes over there. Sorry about that.

I also just wanted to lay the ground work for those interested in the .32s.

Sorry if I went a bit off on that.

MikeKeyW
April 7, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have a 632 Carry Comp Pro and love it. It's my 5th .32, they start with a .32 S&W (which many misname as the .32 short) up to the .327 Federal.
As far as new cartridges go look at the .40 S&W, it was the new kid on the block in 1990 (20 years already? :what:I'm getting old...)and look where it is today. It also went counter-evolutionary, it was a downsized from a 10mm (also a new offering at the time) instead of maximizing a existing caliber. The trend being to lengthen the case or neck a larger case down in order to cram more powder behind the projectile for balls to the wall performance. There was only one other cartridge in that diameter too(other than the Herter's .401 Powermag which most have probably never heard of), the .41 Magnum, which while having a dedicated following never achieved much of a market presence.
I think a 6 shot J frame size revolver with the power level that the .327 Federal offers fills a niche that there is a market for. With the Obama induced ammo shortage it's gotten off to a slow start but I hope that is coming to an end and I can get some good range time in with my 632 and quantity of .327.

Landric
April 7, 2010, 08:41 PM
I don't have a 327 Federal revolver. I do have several .32 H&R Magnum revolvers. I really enjoy both loading and shooting the .32 H&R. Once one has some brass its very low cost to load, and the brass lasts a long time. It costs me only slightly more to shoot cast lead .32 H&R than it does to shoot .22LR, and I find the .32 H&R a lot more fun. I'll probably eventually get a 327 Federal revolver just because its the natural extension of the .32 H&R. In the event that anyone in my family decides to use it as a defense gun, a 115 grain bullet at 1400 fps is a lot better than a cat sneeze.

mesinge2
April 7, 2010, 08:43 PM
Found this on http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page588.htm

Bare gelatin test. (Nominal 10% concentration)

Cartridge : .327 Magnum Speer 115gr Gold Dot JHP
Block Calibration : 3.5 0.05 inch penetration @ 586 0.5 ft/sec
Block Calibration temperature : 35.0 0.05 Degrees Fahrenheit
Block Core temperature : 35.0 0.05 Degrees Fahrenheit
Bullet Performance:

Impact Velocity : 1326 0.5 feet/second
Deepest Penetration Depth : 14.9 0.05 Inch
Maximum Crack Diameter : 2.8 0.05 Inch
Max Crack Diameter Location : 1.7 0.05 Inch
Cavitation Depth : 0.0-12.9 0.05 Inch

Notes:
Weapon – Ruger SP101, with 3.1” barrel length
Distance – 10.0 feet, muzzle to gelatin impact face
Test site conditions - 69 deg F, 43% relative humidity
Time out of refrigeration prior to shot impact - 5 minutes
Bullet recovered weight – 118.2 0.05gr
Bullet recovered average diameter - 0.505 0.0005"
Bullet recovered length - 0.444 0.0005"

This thread is making me really want one,:cuss:

Sheepdog1968
April 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
I would term this an odd duck caliber. I try very hard to stick to very common calibers. It tends to keep costs down and makes it easier to find them. My list of common calibers is as follows: 22 LR, 38/357, 9mm, 44 mag, 45 acp, 223, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 20 gauge, 12 gauge. I put 380, 40 cal, 45 long colt, and 30 carbine in the fringe category. Yes, these fringe calibers are popular but again I distinguish them from odd ducks and common. I am fine if others disagree with my listing of these or others. I could even argue to move the 30-30 into fringe. Anything outside of the ones I call common I try really hard to avoid as it is just one more ammo I need to keep in stock. It doesn't mean I wouldn't own it. It means I think really hard.

Guillermo
April 8, 2010, 01:11 AM
Weregunner

it is all good

m2steven
April 8, 2010, 01:48 PM
I've had one for over a year. It's a Ruger sp101 and is a wonderful revolver. I've shot everything through it, 32short/long/magnum/327/wadcutters. The pistol is extremely versatile. The 327 round itself comes in regular, heavy, and really heavy and is most fun to shoot.

I shoot a lot of bricks and concrete blocks and have compared the 327 vs the 357 mags and frankly, I can tell the 357 is a little hotter than the 327 but when i'm carrying the 327 I feel fully armed. It's an extremely hot little round and does a tremendous amount of damage.

When you downshoot to the little 32 short - it feels like a water pistol in comparison.

Having now shot about 100 rounds of 32 magnum, I can't figure out why that round never caught on. It's a very nice powerful round.

crusty81
April 17, 2010, 09:53 PM
I have 400 rounds of 32 mags ,100 new starline brass never loaded! i can get you 32 long and shorts too! drop me a line will load to your order 30 bucks a box per 50! love to load my berrys 71 gr copper plated i have 300 left! dont wait!

MMCSRET
April 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
I had my Target Patriot out again today; still doing load development. 50 Round of Lyman cast 311316, 115 gr. gas checked over a max charge of AA#7, good but I'm going to move to a slower powder, AA#9 or 2400 and see what I can do.
Good gun and a good cartridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I'll try Blue Dot.

MMCSRET
April 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
duplicate deleted!!!!!!!!!

20nickels
April 17, 2010, 11:29 PM
H. Bowen is doing .32 K frame conversions. Light bullet handloads easily made 2000 fps out of a 6" tube. :)

JimGnitecki
April 18, 2010, 09:47 AM
Crusty81: I think I just read that you arte offering to make and sell ammunition to others. I assume you have a Type 6 FFL to manufacture ammunition (for others)?

Making and selling ammunition TO OTHERS without that FFL is a Federal felony. There is also a Federal excise tax of 11% that must be paid by the FFL for every round sold.

Also, whether you sell or GIVE to others ammunition that you have made, you want to be insured for liability if something goes wrong.

If you are indeed an FFL, I apologize to you for this post, but I haven't been on the board long enough to know, and wanted to warn you if you are NOT an FFL.

Jim G

peyton
April 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
Call me stupid but I would go crazy when s&w makes a K frame 327!! I handled the new 632, whipped out the plastic and the clerk said "We don't take that card" Curses and hell fire!!! I have several 32 mag relovers and want a 327 now. Reloading is where it gets reasonable, still looking for 327 brass.

Marvin KNox
April 18, 2010, 06:51 PM
I've gone off on this one elsewhere so I won't go into it in detail again here.

I'll just say that IMO it's a loud, long barreled, small-bore solution to a non-existent problem - in so far as concealed carry guns go.

The shortage of ammo is an ongoing issue and probably will stay that way as long as there are other deservedly more popular calibers to turn out ammo for.

However - you just can't have too many guns. I know people with a couple of dozen handguns and some of them are no more practical than the 327. So - why not get one of these as well? This is still America for a while yet.:)

MMCSRET
April 19, 2010, 12:47 AM
I agree with everything Marvin KNox said. Thats why I wanted one, I didn't have one so why not. So far ammunition hasn't been a problem, I cast my bullets and load my own and have enough cases to do me for the forseeable future.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone buy a .327 magnum yet? Thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!