Anyone shooting "20 Practical"?

PDA

NelsErik
April 6, 2010, 04:03 PM
I think I found the perfect varmint gun! We had a guy come to our range yesterday with a DPMS AR that was chambered in .20-223 or "20 Practical" as he called it. It's an interesting lookin AR with a charging handle like a 10/22. It's just a regular .223 case necked down to fit a .20 bullet. He was getting some really fast reads over the chrono and was CRAZY accurate anywhere from 100-500 yards. We all shot several five shot almost rapid fire groups and almost all of them were under an 1". I am thinking about building a "20 Practical" AR, I already have 6.5 Creedmoor AR so another "funny" cartridge, as my dad calls them, won't be out of the norm...

Does anyone here shoot "20 Practical"? Who makes a good upper?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting "20 Practical"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ223
April 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
that Les Baer makes an upper. I am sure that there are plenty of others. The 20 Practical is an interesting cartridge which is very close in performance to the 204 Ruger. If the availability of once fired 223 brass ever comes back to pre-Obama levels, it might make me take another look at it. I jumped into the 204 and had 2 rifles for it before I became aware the other 20 cartidges. Check out 6mBR.com for more info. Great site.

NelsErik
April 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
I guess no one is shooting "20 Practical". This round is really, really fun to shoot and the brass is very easy to form. I'm really surprised more people aren't shooting this round.

This isn't Mike's upper, but was made by the same company and looks almost identical to his, but I think it's a little shorter. It was made by a company that I am not familiar with, AR-X Enterprises, LLC. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://accurateshooter.net/GOTW/20prac10x600.jpg

Here (http://www.6mmar.com/20_Practical.html) is their website for the "20 Practical"

I think I am going to try their upper on my LMT.

Has anyone messed around with the other calibers on that website, like Turbo 40, Tactical 20, 6mmAR, .224 AR, and 6mm Super AR... I have never even heard of some of these...

Jim Watson
April 7, 2010, 12:08 PM
I just can't imagine an auto rifle throwing wildcat empties on the ground.
Maybe if the .20-.223 will form in one pass through the sizing die, I would not cry so hard.

NelsErik
April 7, 2010, 12:29 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but was told that it is a one step process. Supposedly you just change out the standard bushing die and you are set. We are going to try to make some tonight, we'll see how it goes. I was also told that you can use a standard brass catcher with some small modifications for the charging handle.

I'm pretty excited about getting a new upper for this round though. It has so little recoil that I can watch the hits in the scope and easily get on my next target. I have only fired about 20 rounds of 20 Practical, but I love it.

Uncle Mike
April 7, 2010, 02:33 PM
Shucks, everybody knows the 20 caliber is much superior to the 22 caliber! lol
Been saying that all along and trying to resurrect the 5mm rimfire magnum!

This caliber is catching on pretty good, if a major player would pick it up, I think it would flourish! If not, it'll more than likely fall by the wayside to the .204, I mean, there isn't a spit of difference in them.

NelsErik
April 7, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm new to this twenty caliber thing, but from what I was told, the .204 is more expensive to shoot since you have to either buy new brass or use 222 Remington brass and who has that laying around? We have so much .223 brass my dad is literally throwing it away sometimes. With the 20 Practical I can use all that old .223 brass.

NelsErik
April 8, 2010, 11:58 AM
We loaded 1,500 rounds of 20 Practical last night. You can form the brass and reload just like you would loading regular .223 brass. On my Dillion 1050 press you just resize the neck using the new bushing size with one pass. On our little generic press it was easier to resize the neck in two stages. On the little press we kept crimping or cracking the brass trying to do it in one step.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 8, 2010, 12:51 PM
You can't make .204 Ruger from .223 Rem?

NelsErik
April 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
From what I have been told, no, but I'm no expert. A week ago I had never even seen a .20 caliber bullet, let alone made any wildcat brass...

Jon_Snow
April 8, 2010, 01:43 PM
.223 cases are too short. As are .222. You need .222 Remington Magnum cases to make .204 Rugers. And you have to fire form them to move the shoulder forward. 20 Practical sounds like a very simple conversion. And this is coming from someone who loves the 204.

NelsErik
April 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
I went ahead and ordered an upper from Weaver Rifles. I plan to put it on my LMT along with a Mako Tactical SSR-25 Israeli Sniper Stock. My brother has been using this stock on his LMT/Grendel combo with great success. It's not a PRS, but is about half the price and with a few mods is rock solid. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.

If you are looking for a super accurate, easy to shoot, barn burning 3900+/- with a 40 gr. bullet, with explosive impacts, that is relatively cheap to shoot, I would highly recommend the 20 Practical.

I have sent about 300 rounds down range and am super impressed. I'm more or less a beginner in all aspects of AR's, but I think this thing is amazing. I hit a small watermelon at 300 yards and it literally blew up with only very small pieces left. If I make the same shot with .223 it just puts a little hole in the watermelon.

Pictures coming soon.

usmc1371
April 12, 2010, 01:56 PM
I looked at the 20 practical a few years ago but ended up with a les baer .204 instead mostly cause I wasn't hand loading now I may have to look into it again just for fun. The .204 is a great round out of an AR

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting "20 Practical"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!