25-06

PDA

RKellogg
April 7, 2010, 11:34 AM
Any thoughts on a 25-06 for an all round gun , deer being the bigest game I would be hunting .

If you enjoyed reading about "25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
X-Rap
April 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
I believe that it may be one of the greatest open country deer calibers out there. I will probably take one of mine on a Big Horn hunt if I am ever drawn for a tag.
I took an Antelope at an even 1/4 mile with a sporterized Argentine Mauser on the last day of season one year and have done in deer at 300 + more than once. The 100 & 115 gr Ballistic Tips are very impressive.
With all the good I have to say about it I will also say its no elk round, if you have any intention of such I would say move up to a 7mm or .30.

Nico Testosteros
April 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
I believe that it will work quite well for what you describe.

Arkansas Paul
April 7, 2010, 12:45 PM
For the hunting you describe, it is absolutely ideal, IMO.
Don't see how you could do much better.

Kentucky_Rifleman
April 7, 2010, 12:57 PM
The 25-06 is, in my humble opinion, the pinnacle of long cartridge 25 caliber development. The .257 Weatherby has better ballistics, but you pay a significant difference for what I consider a marginal increase in performance. Handloading brings out the cartridge's true potential for flat-shooting over long distances, and while factory ammunition is typically not as anemic as for many other older calibers, I recommend that 25 shooters take up reloading if they don't already do so. I'm also a huge fan of the .257 Roberts as the short-action counterpart to the -06.

It is more than capable for any game up to and including deer, and I have killed more chucks than I care to count, several coyotes, and 18 whitetails with a Remington 700 in 25-06. I also agree with X-Rap that any game significantly heavier than deer, elk for example, are better suited to calibers offering heavier bullets.

Hope this helps,

KR

CoRoMo
April 7, 2010, 01:22 PM
I love the .25-06, and we kill elk with 'em here. Actually, the .25 kills the elk, we just point it in the right direction.

X-Rap
April 7, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm sure many will say the same of the 243. I just don't think it is ideal for that big of an animal and wouldn't advise or claim such to someone shopping for new caliber.
The debate is well documented and I am no hater or the 25, it just is not a do all of North America round.

natman
April 7, 2010, 01:33 PM
The 25-06 is a great round for deer in open country. I notice the OP is in NY. If he's planning to hunt in the woods, there might be better choices.

X-Rap
April 7, 2010, 01:42 PM
That might be true, I have seen some stands that overlooked some huge open fields and pastures in NY though.
I try hard not to pigeon hole my taste in guns and calibers but rather enjoy the ownership of a variety of different guns for different applications.
I live in western Colorado and enjoy using carbines as well as magnums to hunt big game and guess the same could be done all over the country.
I have also seen enough evidence of bullet deflection to dispel any belief I may have had against the brush buster concept.

CoRoMo
April 7, 2010, 01:44 PM
This past October, a large bull elk hit the ground from a single 117gr Nosler through both shoulders. To this day, he still doesn't realize he was hit with a less-than ideal cartridge.

X-Rap
April 7, 2010, 01:48 PM
OK, I don't doubt it for a minute. Didn't say it couldn't be done.

CoRoMo
April 7, 2010, 01:57 PM
I know, and I'm not trying to argue... am I?;)

I don't want to make it sound like it is the do-all North American round, it's not. And you really have to know what you're doing if you're going to squeeze one off on an elk, but that's pretty much true for any round. It's a very impressive cartridge, but like all cartridges, it has limitations, and anything larger than deer is enticing those limitations into displaying themselves.

X-Rap
April 7, 2010, 01:59 PM
Agreed

jonboynumba1
April 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
You know it's odd...there's the Elmer Keith part of me that says it's a glorified varmint round...and I do honestly think it's on the light side as deer rifles go...though plenty of good calibers are right alongside it...and I've always heard they have about 1000K rounds max (if you are lucky) of accurate bbl. life...but then again big deal...that's a lot of deer killin inbetween barrels...and that is probably as true of my .300 win mag just as well.

So then there's the Jack O' Conner side of me...and it can't believe I'd even deer hunt with a .300 mag when there is an accurate .270 with a good proven handload ready to go with me! And then I think....well crap how different is the .25-06' REALLY than my favorite .270?

I have a couple buds that LOVE .25-06...it seems to be a pet caliber of theirs and they are very loyal to it...which strokes me as kinda funny given our location and terrain here in NW AL. but to each their own...no real reason to own a .300 here either...but I have one and have come to love it just as my trusted and favorite .270 win!

I just can't wrap my brain around why the .300 seems like the perfect "deer gun" to so many...but then most .300 mag hunters would think me undergunned with a .277" Sierra Gameking SP boat tail over a charge of H4831SC running a modest 3000 FPS (REAL speed chrono'ed) out of a 22" bbl. but I've dropped piles of deer with that and never had one run! I think of the .300 as the .270 of the elk world...and aquired it as such and with such in mind...to throw 180gr .30 bullets at about the same speed as my .270 but with more knockdown and wind-bucking abillity and just as well matched for the Elk as my whitetail rifle of choice in .270...I've never Hunted elk yet keep in mind!-LOL Last year the boss and bud went...but sometime in the next few years it'll be my turn...and I want it well known to me...I could have just used my .270 with the right bullet (150gr partitions) but that wouldn't be as much fun as having another rifle!

And here there are folks shooting ELK with .25-06's and saying they work fine...so in the end I guess it really comes down to shot placement and what you are comfortable with. I've never felt a "love connection" with the .25-06 and yet oddly I did really like the 6.5x55 for a time....so who knows...life is better with more flavors and calibers! Something for everyone and to each their own!

To me deer hunting is all about the .270 win and anything bigger I like my new .300 toy for...though the two certainly overlap....I just couldn't justify a .338....and yet I still WANT a .338!! And other than take it up North or out West I have NO IDEA what I'd do with one in AL! But one day I want Africa...and I guess it might edge out the .300 as a general purpose rifle there....depending on what other rifles I own and take at that point...but I have some years to decide all of that! These are good desdcisions to have to make! Happy ones!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 7, 2010, 04:24 PM
Yes, good choice for your purposes - excellent choice in fact.

Maverick223
April 7, 2010, 05:55 PM
Never have cared for it myself, no real good reason, but 25cal. never did anything for me. I like .260Rem. or 6.5x55Swede for the use that you describe.

:)

BruM
April 7, 2010, 06:02 PM
I dont get it. The 30-06 has many different loads available off the shelf. A quick look showed 125gr to 220 gr factory loads. With such a big range of bullet weights the same gun can be used for most anything in NA so whats the big deal with the 25-06 at 117 GR???

joed
April 7, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've owned a .25-06 for 32 years, nothing like it in my opinion. With the 87 gr bullets it is the hardest hitting varmint cartridge you've ever seen. With the 100 to 120 gr bullets it's good for just about anything you'd encounter in the US. Trajectory is very flat. Not to offend anyone but I prefer the .25-06 to any of the 6mm cartridges.

Mine was the only rifle I owned until a few years ago when I added a .300 H&H Mag to the safe. The .25-06 was always my go to rifle.

Barrel life is about 1000 rounds, I replaced mine 2 years ago after 30 years of shooting. That's not bad compared to some of the magnum rounds. Mine now has a Krieger match barrel which shoots even better then the stock barrel. When I wear this one out I'll probably get another Krieger.

Maverick223
April 7, 2010, 07:01 PM
Barrel life is about 1000 rounds, I replaced mine 2 years ago after 30 years of shooting. That's not bad compared to some of the magnum rounds.That's pretty bad, but not terribly important for a hunting rifle IMO. At least you have good taste in barrels. ;)

Uncle Mike
April 7, 2010, 08:44 PM
If he's planning to hunt in the woods, there might be better choices.

I don't know...a bullet doesn't know if it's flying 200y across a bean field or 200y through the woods, as long as no limbs are hit! :p

Never have cared for it myself, no real good reason, but 25cal. never did anything for me. I like .260Rem. or 6.5x55Swede for the use that you describe.

I'm not a really big fan either, but 10 thousands of an inch doesn't make a gnats azz difference either, I will say that I like the gas tank of the 25-06 better than the 260. :neener:

I dont get it. The 30-06 has many different loads available off the shelf. A quick look showed 125gr to 220 gr factory loads. With such a big range of bullet weights the same gun can be used for most anything in NA so whats the big deal with the 25-06 at 117 GR???

Aren't you supposed to buy another rifle for each different bullet weight you shoot? I mean I have a 30-06 for 150gr and 165gr stuff...then there is the one for 220gr pills, never really use a 180 grainer....and there's the 308 for 155's and the one for 175gr and 177gr, and then.....

Besides, it is a royal pain to switch bullet weights if your making a wide jump, say from 125gr to 165gr or 220gr.

Not to offend anyone but I prefer the .25-06 to any of the 6mm cartridges.

No offense, the M&M cartridges are only popular with the Starbucks bunch....whoops! :D :neener:

Pokyman
April 7, 2010, 09:15 PM
Subject has sorta veered off track from the original thought, but I couldn't help it when the subject turned to 6MM.
My brother shot a 6MM for years, killing a lot of Mule deer and quite a number of elk- one shot one kill.
I kept telling him that the 6 MM was too small and one of these days he would wound and lose an elk. Nevef did happen but he finally moved all the way up to a 25-06. Same results as the 6MM- One shot one kill. He is a good shot and always puts the bullets where they count.

Maverick223
April 7, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm not a really big fan either, but 10 thousands of an inch doesn't make a gnats azz difference either, I will say that I like the gas tank of the 25-06 better than the 260I said it wasn't justified...doesn't mean I'll change my mind though. :neener: Fine a 6.5-06A-Square then. Which btw is no longer a wildcat, but still a bit obscure, and burns up barrels just about as fast as the .25-06Rem.

:)

JimKirk
April 7, 2010, 11:00 PM
Had one(25/06) since early 1970, at the time it was the largest legal caliber for hogs(in GA), back then hogs were small game. It was one hell of a hog gun and I also found out it was a hell of deer gun too! Never killed anything bigger than a hog or deer with mine, but I would feel OK shooting a mule deer or elk with a Nosler Partion or such type bullet.

Jimmy K

natman
April 8, 2010, 03:37 AM
I don't know...a bullet doesn't know if it's flying 200y across a bean field or 200y through the woods, as long as no limbs are hit! :p

True enough, but if you're making 200 yard shots you're not woods hunting, at least according to my definition.

In the woods where I hunt you can't even see 100 yards, much less get a shot that long. The stretched string trajectory of a 25-06 is wasted there, so I'd rather trade it for some more bullet diameter and weight, not to mention a lever action to deliver it with.

Of course it all depends on where the OP intends to hunt, which is why I asked.

Lloyd Smale
April 8, 2010, 06:45 AM
I love the caliber. I use more 25 cal rifles then any other. the 2506 is a great gun when shots are on the far side of a 100 yards. Up close in the whitetail woods around here its a meat destroyer if your not absoulutely precise with your shot. the 257 and 250 are a bit better for the close in stuff but the 2506 kills deer way out there like a lightning bolt hit them.

joed
April 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Barrel life is about 1000 rounds, I replaced mine 2 years ago after 30 years of shooting. That's not bad compared to some of the magnum rounds.
That's pretty bad, but not terribly important for a hunting rifle IMO. At least you have good taste in barrels.

I shot that gun every chance I got. It wasn't the the barrel was shot out at 1000 rounds but more of I wanted a custom barrel.

That Krieger delivers 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

I still remember when the gunsmith asked me what caliber I wanted the new barrel in. For all of about 2 seconds I considered another cartridge.

buttrap
April 8, 2010, 07:20 AM
I am a big 25 cal fan but the 25-06 is not very forgiving on big critters if your aim is off a small amount or the load is not that great for the range that its used at. I have seen some pretty dern crazy failures of that round when pushed out of its area including pissed off deer over getting shot in the head. Open area its a good round but short range they just poke holes and peve critters off. If shooting under 100-200yds I would not bother with one of the things.

RKellogg
April 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
Well I just bought one . 25-06 Encore . I can't wait to see what is does to a woodchuck .

nathan
April 8, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah, its that zippy fast and accurate . Nice headshots like lightning on game.

Kentucky_Rifleman
April 9, 2010, 08:37 PM
Well I just bought one . 25-06 Encore . I can't wait to see what is does to a woodchuck .

At ranges less than 300 yards, it typically leaves an exit wound the size of a number nine softball of nothing but ground meat. At ranges less than 150 yards with high-velocity rounds, it often splits the exit like an open zipper. Years ago I shot a ****e-poke (they're a nuisance, eating fish and frogs off my ponds) from about 150 yards out. It looked like a hand-grenade had gone off in a feather pillow.

barrel life of 1000 rounds

My 25 has over 1000 rounds through it, but it still holds sub MOA at 100 yards, but then I've rarely loaded out to the limits of the cartridge for frequent shooting. For range work or varminting I'll drop 20% under max loads, and it has really helped my barrel life.

I do keep uploaded hotter cartridges on hand, in case I get a shot out past 300 yards, but in Kentucky that's a real rarity, even groundhog hunting.

so whats the big deal with the 25-06 at 117 GR???

The 25 has a better ballistic coefficient than the 30 with bullets of the same weight, which means much flatter trajectory than the 30 with same-weight bullets.

At shorter ranges, (under 250-300 yards say) the difference is slim, but the 25 is just getting its legs at 300 yards, while the 30 starts to drop.

KR

StretchNM
April 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have a 25-06 Ruger #1V. It's a .75" grouping, 5-shot, rifle in every handloaded bullet weight I shoot. I expect to get several thousand rounds out of that barrel and am confident I will.

Peter M. Eick
April 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
Good round to get. I have a sendero I love and plan on buying a Ruger 1V just like StretchNM. I will be calling my local dealer tomorrow for prices.

Dallas Jack
April 11, 2010, 05:08 PM
Until four years ago I had never fired a 25-06. Since then I have reloaded for and fired a 25-06 quite a bit. I'm a believer. My favorite cartridge (since the 70's) was the 6.5-284. Got one in trade and loved it. It's been gone for some time and I replaced it with a .270. Now back to the 25-06. It's bullet is .020 smaller than the .270 and .007 smaller than the 6.5-284 (in diameter) and uses a case that has the same capacity. The .270 and 6.5-284 shoot bullets in the same basic range to each other. The 25-06 starts with lighter bullets and gives up 30 to 40 grains on the heavy side.

So what does that mean? You can shoot varmints and predators with any of the three but the nod goes to the 25-06 because of the lighter bullets. Deer, Sheep, and Goats are also taken handily with any of the three. But I would exclude Auodad, Moose, and Elk from the 25-06 altho I know people have used it on them. Hogs and Black bear are also taken easily with any of the three calibers.

The OP asked about the 25-06 so why did I bring up the .270 and 6.5-284? I think these three are very close in their uses. As a primary Deer round I believe the 25-06 will proform as well as the other two, and thats saying a lot. It does it with a lighter bullet and a little lighter recoil.

Now you can throw all this out the window if you do not use the correct bullet and place it in a vital area of the animal. The use of larger heavier calibers in case of a misplaced shot just doesn't make sence to me. Take your time, place your shot.

I guess I'm saying, can't go wrong with a 25-06.
Dallas Jack

Geno
April 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
I had a Weatherby Vangaurd VGX in .25-06 Rem back in about 1987. It was a fantastic rifle, accurate, light recoil. For me, however, I went up to a .257 Wea Mag. It didn't make sense to keep both. It fired the 87 grain and the 100 grain projectiles the best. As an all-round rifle as decribed by the OP, I say absolutely a great choice.

Geno

MCgunner
April 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
My .25 has killed dozens of whitetail from 25 yards in the woods to 350 yards across a saddle in the hill country. There is no deer made that is immune to its sting. When I thought I was going to get to go elk hunting, though, I bought a 7 mag. The old .257 was my grandpa's and he and I have filled multiple freezers with it. Great hog gun, too. And, the .25-06 just has a little more juice on the same bullet. So, how would it be a bad choice?

MJR007
April 11, 2010, 06:19 PM
The 25-06 and 25wssm have done VERY well on my farm in Jefferson county NY. It will do you well.

If you enjoyed reading about "25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!