reloading tracers?

PDA

Shorty
April 7, 2010, 01:37 PM
i recently came accross alot of tracer projectiles(100,000+), what is the best way to get them to light? 4895 with factory crimp?

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading tracers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cougar1717
April 7, 2010, 01:42 PM
The government uses a different powder. I think Pat's reloading has some. I'm assuming you're talking about .224 tracers in 223 Rem. Even so, H335 should be able light them off.

Remo-99
April 7, 2010, 01:51 PM
Sometimes they need a 'hotter' powder to get them to light, but try several with regular powder, it maybe enough.

rcmodel
April 7, 2010, 01:58 PM
A quick search turned up this thread from 3 weeks ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=510049&highlight=.223+tracer

rc

Shorty
April 7, 2010, 02:26 PM
im sorry i should have put it in my first post. its for 8mm,54r, and .30 cal i will probably have to just try a bunch of the hotter burning stuff

Thanks for all the replies!

Shorty

jeepmor
April 8, 2010, 10:03 AM
I can't recall at the moment, but I have had this conversation and it came down to stick or ball powders. I think it was ball, but please dig a bit deeper as I have a 50-50 chance of leading down the wrong path with this statement.

I bought some and was not able to get them to light up with either powder type. These were pulled surplus rounds.

EddieNFL
April 8, 2010, 12:20 PM
I bought some and was not able to get them to light up with either powder type. These were pulled surplus rounds.

May have been a defective lot. That would explain why they were surplus.

rondog
April 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
I had a 1000 pulled tracers from Polygunbag.com, .30 cal. M25 bullets with the copper cups. I never tried them, because I realized there was no place I could safely SHOOT them! Ended up trading them off to a local ammo manufacturer that makes machine-gun ammo, they shoot lots of tracers at approved areas that us unwashed flunkies can't use.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading tracers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!