M1 Garand

PDA

Slug
April 7, 2010, 05:20 PM
New here, just wanted to share my newest addition. I'm a sucker for the classics, I get more then enough time with the black rifles at work (just got done lugging a M16A4 through the desert for a tour). So I needed some real wood. Always wanted an M1, ever since I started learning about WWII.

Got this from the CMP this past Saturday. Its a SA Service Grade, gauges at a little less then 2 in the muzzle. USGI wood, and all hardware except the stock is SA. Should be a good shooter. Some people can't stand it but I love all the knicks and dings in the stock, history in my hands. Scratches build character. Higher serial, but its in great shape. Did I mention I have another one on the way? ;)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/rifle1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/rifleserial.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/fullshot.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/usgi.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/usgi2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/Muzzle.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
April 7, 2010, 05:41 PM
Beauty. Congrats! :cool:

61chalk
April 7, 2010, 05:42 PM
WELCOME BROTHER!!!
Great looking rifle, I just got my 4th Garand a couple weeks ago from
CMP...a SG WRA. Have you shot it yet? Have fun searching all the threads
an pic. here on THR. I've shot AR since 78' an in the service, but theres just
something about the Garand an its history, an its power over the .223....an then
theres the PING thing too....ha

Birddog1911
April 7, 2010, 05:44 PM
Glad you made it home, and welcome! Yep, gotta love the classics; just brought home my M1 Carbine, and my HRA SG should get here next week from the CMP.

That's a good looking rifle you have!

Slug
April 7, 2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks all. Yeah I ordered an HRA SG at the same time, but its back ordered so it should be here soon. Havn't shot this one yet, been busy working. Hopefully i'll find time to get out to a range as it warms up now.

Mals9
April 7, 2010, 06:10 PM
Good for you.
I had a chance to get a nice M1 about 15 years back, a coworker took it as trade for $20 in gas money late on night! I was set to buy it but he took it to the local gunshop to have it checked out and the owner convinced him that if he got it that cheap it must have been stolen and he would give him $50 for it and not tell anyone. He sold it then and there. That's my luck. I'm looking toward the CMP now.
Slug thanks for your service.

Mals

Flatbush Harry
April 7, 2010, 06:26 PM
Glad you made it back safe and thanks for your service. I'm a Garand lover, even though I've only got four, two of which are also 5.8mm serial number SAs. Your rifle looks fantastic...the metal looks great!

Enjoy shooting and get yourself some HXP if you haven't already done so...it works great in these babies.

Cheers,

FH

Ohio Gun Guy
April 7, 2010, 06:34 PM
Thank You SIR!

Good looking rifle, we'll be expecting a range report - There are responsibilities for posting pictures of nice rifles!

Odd Job
April 7, 2010, 06:35 PM
One day I'll own one. Why?
Because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping!

Tim the student
April 7, 2010, 06:43 PM
Man, I just never get tired of seeing Garands. Its a good looking rifle - have fun with it.

merlinfire
April 7, 2010, 06:44 PM
Congrats on that. A garand and/or a m1 carbine are definitely on the list.

jcwit
April 7, 2010, 06:55 PM
Nice looking rifle, am more than sure you're going to enjoy it. And from one vet to another a BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

P-32
April 7, 2010, 07:54 PM
A big plus 1 what jcwit said. I got to play in the 1st go around in the sand box. I did mine sitting in a lawn chair on a aircraft carrier and still got the pay.

Congrats on a fine looking M-1. It seems there have been nice S/G Springers coming from the CMP lately from what I've seen.

My last one was a S/G Winchester with only the receiver being from the big W. It's now my oldest M-1. The Winny came with a new CMP stock but I had a Winny stock socked away, sorta, it was on a S/G grade Springer waiting until I got a Winny. The barrel on the Winny is a SA but it desn't seem to shoot as good as my Correct grade H&R or the S/G Springer, yet. The trigger on the H&R trigger group needs a tune job badly.

I'm currently working on getting a F/G SA to shoot which is about 3 pieces from being WW2 correct or about as correct as I'm going to get it without finding a 3/43 barrel. This rifle has a correct lockbar rear sight and a narrow front sight. Even came with a un cut op rod.

To have a really good time with your new baby, find a John C. Garand match and enjoy. These are a real hoot to shoot.

John H.
April 7, 2010, 09:00 PM
She is gorgeous! Congratulations. I picked one up at the Valley Forge, PA gun show a few weeks ago. I got a .308 made by H&R. Shot her for the first time a couple of weeks ago. After a few minor sight adjustments, she's dead-nuts on. I love the Garand!

leadcounsel
April 7, 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your service brother and congrats on joining the M1 club. I bought several during my tours in the sandbox and love them!

budthachud
April 7, 2010, 09:11 PM
How long ago did you order that, if you don't mind me asking? I put in my order for the same rifle about 2 weeks ago.

FMJMIKE
April 7, 2010, 09:45 PM
You got a nice one !!!!

Slug
April 7, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks all.

It took right around a month from mail date to having it in my hands. I used snail mail though so it got caught in the mail then fell behind others that sent it quickstyle. CMP seems to have a spring bogdown at the moment, especially after they brought in more surplus ammo. Lots of orders going in. But they will come through.

gasteffens
April 7, 2010, 11:14 PM
Thank you for your service!

The Garand has always had my interest since I saw it in the movies when I was a younger kid and at some reinactments. I would love to try one someday and possibly own one. Have fun!

One-Time
May 9, 2010, 08:07 PM
I really want an M14 type/M1A, but I shot a Garand a while back and loved it, for the price I may just get a Garand and be happy!

Quoheleth
May 9, 2010, 09:53 PM
FYI, from the best I could determine my 5.8mil Springfield's birthday was late 1950s --- I want to say 1958, IIRC. Our rifles are cousins, so if you're interested, it's post WWII and Korea. Probably part of why it gauges so well. I hope yours shoots as well as mine.

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!