M1 Garand glass bedders out there?

PDA

mshootnit
April 7, 2010, 08:30 PM
Have any of you guys glass bedded an M1 before?
I have the stock and supplies on hand and I have glass bedded several bolt rifles, but this one is so different. I have a NRA pub. with some detailed and (for me) hard to read tech. drawings, my stock has the grooves inletted already but nothing on the interior of the stock as far as bedding around the bottom of the receiver. When I fit the action to the stock a little of one of the rear grooves is showing. There is also a little slop but not when I lock it up to the trigger group. Does that sound about right? Where do I put bedding around the inside of the stock along the bottom of the receiver? Any advice appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand glass bedders out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hangingrock
April 7, 2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/AccurizingM1Garand_I.asp#Disclaimer
Three part insructional guide.

SlamFire1
April 7, 2010, 10:01 PM
The grooves are un necessary with modern two part epoxies. When the original instructions were written, epoxies had the consistency of honey. Ran all over the place.

If you get an epoxy like Devcon SS filled, Marine Tex, both of which are like thicker than peanut butter, you can mill the inside sidewall just leaving some outer side wall for support.

Epoxy the full length and depth of the receiver tangs and sidewalls. Mill out enough wood so you can slap in a thick sidewall of epoxy.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand glass bedders out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!