Ak draco

PDA

sarduy
April 9, 2010, 08:03 PM
is it legal to add a bullpup system to an AK Draco?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak draco" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hammerhead6814
April 9, 2010, 08:14 PM
That's one hell of a good question.

WoofersInc
April 9, 2010, 08:36 PM
I believe that would make it a short barreled rifle. You will need the $200 tax stamp first.

jojo200517
April 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think it would make it become a SBR requiring tax stamp and such. However my thread about the rails for the hand guards confirmed that they use standard Romanian hand guards on the Draco so it should fit.

as far as actually using it like this, Flea had this to say in my thread where it came up
Hold that Draco up to your shoulder and see where the muzzle is. I don't know about you, but I'd imagine it'd burn up your eyebrows pretty quick.

Oh and a foregrip on the rails would make it an AOW.

nalioth
April 9, 2010, 11:15 PM
Is a bullpup designed to be fired with one hand?

NO -> It's a rifle/shotgun, and will be an SBR if it has a barrel of less than 16"/18".

YES -> It's a handgun, and the short barrel is fine.

WardenWolf
April 9, 2010, 11:25 PM
It's not a "handgun", it's a "pistol". There IS a legal difference. A pistol does not necessarily have to be operable one-handed; the only requirement is that it does not have a stock. An example of the legal difference is that you may not mount a forward grip on a handgun (a weapon originally intended for one-handed use), but you may on a pistol (and many large pistols such as the Draco come with forward grips). Adding a bullup kit to a Draco would turn the rear of the receiver into a de facto stock, thereby making it forever a rifle and thus an SBR.

jojo200517
April 9, 2010, 11:32 PM
And lets not forget you'd need to change out the rear turnion for the rear stock portion to attack from the kit :)

sarduy
April 10, 2010, 12:32 AM
It's not a "handgun", it's a "pistol". There IS a legal difference. A pistol does not necessarily have to be operable one-handed; the only requirement is that it does not have a stock. An example of the legal difference is that you may not mount a forward grip on a handgun (a weapon originally intended for one-handed use), but you may on a pistol (and many large pistols such as the Draco come with forward grips).

??? i don't think to can add a forward grip to a draco without makeing it a AOW... or i can?

nalioth
April 10, 2010, 01:58 AM
??? i don't think to can add a forward grip to a draco without makeing it a AOW... or i can? Don't let the nomenclature confuse you. You'll need a tax stamp to install a VFG on a Draco.

PTK
April 10, 2010, 02:58 AM
If a gun with a rifled bore under .50" in diameter has more than one vertical grip and/or a stock, and the OAL is under 26" and/or it has a barrel under 16", it's a SBR. Period. There are no loopholes.

That said, bullpup kits fit on those handguns fairly easily, I handled one recently. The gun was TINY, and had 20rd "tanker" magazines to keep it that way.

tkopp
April 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
You will not be able to install the shoulder pad/rear portion of the bullpup stock, and I dunno what you'd do with your off hand. It would make the pistol tiny, but be ultimately uncomfortable to shoot.

PTK
April 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
Why wouldn't one be able to install the rear portion? Just a new trunnion, which involves drilling out the old rivets, and riveting a new trunnion in place. 20 minute job, tops. That, and the off-hand would go on the forward grip. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak draco" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!