Ruger LCR.

PDA

emilianoksa
April 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
Held one in the local gunshop today.

Really nice.

Loved the look and feel of it.

The lack of weight scared the crap out of me.

How difficult is it to control?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bush Pilot
April 9, 2010, 11:22 PM
With light loads it isn't difficult at all to control. It's become my favorite .38 to shoot.

Quoheleth
April 10, 2010, 08:04 AM
The soft grips help, because it is a firecracker. I cannot imagine what kind of sadist designed the .357 Magnum version.

Choke up high on the grips. I get the web between thumb and trigger finger actually slightly above the top of the grip. Recoil drives more into the palm, straight back. Muzzle flip is minimized and it gets a little more hand onto the grip.

Choke up, hang on, and ride it hard.

The bigger challenge is fully releasing the trigger each time or it will not fire.

Q

snooperman
April 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
I find it more comfortable to shoot than my 21oz Colt Detective that I carried for 35 years. I like the trigger very much and the grip is a dandy too. I carry it in the pocket daily now with +P hollowpoints and practice with ball 38 special. I applaud Ruger for their innovation of new guns since old Bill passed away.

Kernel
April 10, 2010, 10:19 AM
I cannot imagine what kind of sadist designed the .357 Magnum version.
:confused::confused::confused:
There's a .357 Mag version of the LCR now?

moxie
April 10, 2010, 10:22 AM
Didn't know there is a .357 mag version.

Nushif
April 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
The bigger challenge is fully releasing the trigger each time or it will not fire.

You have to do that with every DA Revolver. The LCR just has a longer trigger pull than most. For that it's way lighter.

Shooting the LCr is not as bad as you might think. I can do 100 rounds per range trip with mine using normal .38s and I don't get hurt and have no real ill effects from it.

Guillermo
April 10, 2010, 10:56 AM
The lack of weight scared the crap out of me.

I understand as I loath super light snubbies

There's a .357 Mag version of the LCR now?

no

Fat Boy
April 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
For me, the jury is still out on this gun- I like the idea of it; e.g. polymer, compact, trigger innovations (if that is the correct term)-leave it to Ruger to offer such a product...hopefully it will work very well for them. And S&W and Taurus? aren't far behind with their entries into this area

I have had reservations about the polymer as far as durability, but then I think of the glock...

If a person likes/wants/needs a small-frame revolver, I think they could do a lot worse than the LCR....just my 2 cents

emilianoksa
April 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
Many thanks.

Quoheleth
April 11, 2010, 05:33 AM
Yes, there were reports that a .357 Maggie version was coming out:

http://shilohtv.com/?p=5007
NRA News’s Cam and Company [ iTunes Link, 1/14/10 episode ] let slip the news that Ruger would have a LCR chambered in .357 Magnum on display [at SHOT show]. People will buy it but like the other light weights I bet few will carry .357 ammo in it.

A THR search found this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=499518&highlight=LCR+.357+magnum

So, while the information is apparantly a bum steer, I am offering these in my defense.

Mea culpa...
Q

snooperman
April 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
but he sure did it right and almost all gun manufactutrers has copied his design in the polymer-striker -fired handgun. I am sure Ruger will be quite successful with the LCR as sales are brisk. It is obvious that other companies are getting into the act of this gun design as well. We will never get rid of the "skeptic" myself included , as it is a justified human trait. That said, I like what I see coming from Ruger in the past few years and I hope it continues as it is good for that company and the gun industry.

jmortimer
April 11, 2010, 11:26 AM
I don't think you will have any problem shooting the LCR. I was shooting my wife's 13 ounce .357 J frame with .357 158 grain LRN "Cowboy" ammunition with no problem and that is 317 ft pounds.

9mmepiphany
April 11, 2010, 01:41 PM
i had an opportunity to fire a LCR a while back...it wasn't mine, so i didn't put a lot of rounds through it.

the grip is much more comfortable out of the box than any other snubby on the market...it gives a lot of index feedback...the shape also allows you to get a higher grip to offset muzzle flip

it was pretty accurate with wadcutters and the trigger really is nicer than a comparable S&W J-frame.

i tried it with some 125gr +P loads and the 135gr +P loads and it was very controlable...much more so than an Airweight J-frame that was also there...and i give a lot of credit to the grip shape and frame flex

Dimis
April 11, 2010, 07:35 PM
as an owner ive been in love since day one im not as recoil sensative as others
but for me it has been a little more of a handful than other firearms i own or have used
but not to the point that its painful or uncontrolable (at least for me the wife thinks otherwise) ive shot everything from soft recoiling target loads all the way up to heavy +P loads
with the +P loads it gets a bit stiff and learning to control it is a bit of a challenge but not to the point its not doable

first time i loaded real deal defense loads i barely kept a "group" (more like a shotgun pattern) on paper but by the end of the box i learned the tricks needed to keep it minute of badguy and im working on getting it to be better

all in all its been a good shooter for me even with the minimal barrel

if you have the ability to get one with the crimsontrace laser grips id suggest that
i got the first one in my area and the only option was the hogue grips but i wanted it too bad to wait

like i mentioned earlier im not too recoil sensative so im one of the few kinda hopeing for a .357 LCR might finaly have a reason for a wrist brace lol

w9trb
April 11, 2010, 07:51 PM
I shot the .357 version Saturday. It is very nice, but then I've been shooting .357's a long time. Of course it jumps around with each shot, but we were able to hit with it. It is not the kind of gun you would shoot all afternoon, he bought to carry as a backup. It should do very well in that service.

9x19sig
April 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
I shot the .357 version Saturday. It is very nice, but then I've been shooting .357's a long time.

*** he's from the future

w9trb
April 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
9x19sig: The future is not what it used to be.

oasis618
April 13, 2010, 12:31 PM
Oh this is getting good now... :scrutiny:

Also, w9trb, I may have to use that as my new sig line. Giving you full credit of course.

UpTheIrons
April 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
The soft grips help, because it is a firecracker. I cannot imagine what kind of sadist designed the .357 Magnum version.

Choke up high on the grips. I get the web between thumb and trigger finger actually slightly above the top of the grip. Recoil drives more into the palm, straight back. Muzzle flip is minimized and it gets a little more hand onto the grip.

Choke up, hang on, and ride it hard.

^ This.

If you have that little 'emblem' on the back of the Hogue grip burrowed into the web between thumb and trigger finger, it is much easier to control. Yes, she kicks like a half-grown mule, but you will get used to it if you aren't particularly recoil sensitive. It's a bit harder on you than the SP-101, but the much better trigger makes up for it.

I find it easier to shoot 158 gr. bullets as opposed to 130s and lighter, but that's me.

And, yes, it was me who first posted about the mythical .357 version that w9trb seems to have found. Looks like I was had, as were some others.

Youngrevolver
April 13, 2010, 01:14 PM
*** he's from the future
Lmao! Must be nice I wish I could time travel to shoot the guns in the future. I guess he meant the SP101?

Guillermo
April 13, 2010, 01:34 PM
I wish I could time travel to shoot the guns in the future

for a while I wanted a phaser then I realized that it would be lawsuit heaven.

I saw myself on the witness stand with a prosecuting attorney circling like a shark, foaming at the mouth and me stumbling while trying to answer the question "why did you have your phaser set to kill?"

I will happily stay in this space time continuum.

And yes, I agree that he was probably referring to the SP101

Kernel
April 13, 2010, 02:12 PM
IIRC, when Ruger first introduced the SP101 it was in a .38 Spl +P chambering only. After a year, or two, they then brought out the .357 Mag version, but only for shorter 125 grain bullets. After another year, or so, they lengthened the cylinder & frame opening and introduced a "full spectrum" .357 Mag SP101 - what we have now. Wonder if they're going to market the LCR in the same fashion, or if it's even possible to chamber the LCR in .357. Is the LCR cylinder/frame large enough to accommodate a full size .357 cartridge?

w9trb
April 14, 2010, 12:17 AM
We are talking about a five shot scandium Ruger .357 called LCR. They are available. I assure you I shot one last Saturday. It has a bobbed hammer but no shroud. Actually a decent sized grip, also.

Nushif
April 14, 2010, 12:32 AM
The LCC Is a Lightweight Carry Revolver exclusively manufactured by Ruger ... a Scandium .357 i just that ... a scandium .357 ... Just to clear that up.

No worries you won't believe me ... I've been known to be wrong about stuff. Especially things like all DA revolvers needing to have their triggers fully cycled forward. 8)

NG VI
April 14, 2010, 12:35 AM
Huh? Ruger doesn't make scandium anything last I knew.

It sounds even more like the SP101 as you describe it.

w9trb
April 14, 2010, 12:49 AM
I'll see the guy tomorrow and will ascertain just what the model is called, just hope I didn't cause a time-quake be-bopping into the future so light-heartedly, LOL.

DPris
April 14, 2010, 02:02 AM
W9,
I assure you that you did not fire a five-shot scandium framed Ruger .357 Magnum revolver called the LCR, they don't make one. :)
Denis

9mmepiphany
April 14, 2010, 02:40 AM
We are talking about a five shot scandium Ruger .357 called LCR.
actually we're not

Ruger doesn't make a revolver containing scandium in it's frame. the LCR has an alloy frame (supporting the barrel and cylinder), a skeletonized cylinder and a polymer grip frame. it does not have a bobbed hammer (which would be externally reachable), but an internal hammer

oasis618
April 14, 2010, 03:36 AM
Am I in the twilight zone? :what:

herkyguy
April 14, 2010, 10:04 AM
I just got back from a trip even farther ahead in space. I was able to get some range time with a ruger that shoots nuclear laser beams. it was awesome.

DPris
April 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
LCR's mainframe is alloy. Subframe is polymer.
Denis

UpTheIrons
April 14, 2010, 11:52 AM
We are talking about a five shot scandium Ruger .357 called LCR. They are available. I assure you I shot one last Saturday. It has a bobbed hammer but no shroud. Actually a decent sized grip, also.

This sounds just like the SP-101 I used to have, except for the scandium part.

There is no .357 LCR listed on Ruger's website, either:
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

Did the gun you shot look like this?
http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html
Look specifically at Cat.# KSP-321XL, Model # 5720 - if you mouse over that line, the picture will change.

w9trb
April 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
UpTheIrons is correct. It was an Sp-101. The guy had been talking for a while about getting an LCR, then one day he told me he would have his new .357 when we went to shoot on Saturday. I just made the incorrect assumption that it was an LCR. Totally my mistake. It is a nice pistol though. Sorry, everyone can resume their normally programmed future, now, LOL.

UpTheIrons
April 15, 2010, 02:31 AM
UpTheIrons is correct. It was an Sp-101. The guy had been talking for a while about getting an LCR, then one day he told me he would have his new .357 when we went to shoot on Saturday. I just made the incorrect assumption that it was an LCR. Totally my mistake. It is a nice pistol though. Sorry, everyone can resume their normally programmed future, now, LOL.

Oh, man. And I was just about to ask if you saw any flying cars in the future! :D

257x50
April 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
So when will the Smith polymer 357 be out?:-)

9x19sig
April 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
I was really starting to think it might be John Titor.

BushyGuy
April 15, 2010, 01:29 PM
LCR can handle +p loads, if i owned a LCR i would load it up with +p loads for more punch. When you need to use it for self-defense -the kick of the gun is the least of your worries.

UpTheIrons
April 15, 2010, 04:58 PM
LCR can handle +p loads, if i owned a LCR i would load it up with +p loads for more punch. When you need to use it for self-defense -the kick of the gun is the least of your worries.

This is true. I've got (for now) Hornady Criritcal Defense in .38 +P in mine. Do some shooting, and induce stress into the exercise, and suddenly, the recoil ain't so bad.

kyarcher
April 16, 2010, 05:31 PM
You have to do that with every DA Revolver. The LCR just has a longer trigger pull than most. For that it's way lighter.

Shooting the LCr is not as bad as you might think. I can do 100 rounds per range trip with mine using normal .38s and I don't get hurt and have no real ill effects from it.
I feel like my SW 642 has a longer trigger than the LCR.

Nushif
April 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
I feel like my SW 642 has a longer trigger than the LCR.

Really? O.o The one I shot had a really short, but kinda stiff trigger pull in comparison.
Odd.

GojuBrian
April 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
The cam thingy LCR has makes the trigger great!

I can index the cylinder all the way till boom with ease. :cool:

45crittergitter
May 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
Ruger has stated that there will not be a .357 in the LCR, as it will not handle the pressure.

emilianoksa
May 1, 2010, 04:02 PM
Only a masochist would want an LCR in .357 mag.

Antihero
May 1, 2010, 04:15 PM

I fired one of the smith scandiums and i agree with this. Never in my life have a fired a gun that was so unpleasent to shoot.

Wishoot
May 1, 2010, 04:16 PM

Too true. +P's are quite a handful in my LCR.

45crittergitter
May 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
And it looks like Ruger is talking out of both sides of it's mouth... again.

FoMoGo
May 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html
.357 LCR listed to come out in June...

Jim

Roccobro
May 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
Don't mind me. I'm from the past.

From an old email ad from Ruger..
http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs019/1102873718336/img/11.jpg

Justin

Magnumite
May 23, 2010, 05:51 AM
"I was shooting my wife's 13 ounce .357 J frame with .357 158 grain LRN "Cowboy" ammunition with no problem and that is 317 ft pounds."

Not to insinuate a low testosterone level, but try that with full bore magnum power loads. The recoil can be vicious...and I am not recoil sensitive. While not uncontrollable, it is not what I want to do for an afternoon's shooting.

sharpblade
May 23, 2010, 01:30 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture281.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!