Mounting an EoTech on an AK74

PDA

41magsnub
April 10, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have an eotech 517 and one of the much maligned Lancaster Rough Rider AK-74's though mine seems to be holding up just fine.

What is the best way to mate the two up? Is there a side mount that would work? I'm open to railed hand guards, but have read about heat issues with the Eotechs on those because the batteries are on the bottom.

Thanks for any input!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting an EoTech on an AK74" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
April 10, 2010, 03:32 PM
No matter how you cut it, that optic is going to sit very high for an AK. It is designed for an AR15 which has a higher sight line.

If you really want to mount it, you can use an Ultimak, Midwest industries or even a UTG rail up front, but then you may have a heat issue, not sure if an EOtech will put up with it like an Aimpoint would.

Another option is to mount it on a Texas Weapons Systems rail, or a Kalinka Optics BP-02 side mount weaver rail. The TWS rail would be lower. The Kalinka Optics rail would allow you to quickly detach it.

41magsnub
April 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
You are right.. got the BP-02 from Kalinka and it is pretty awkward. I'll do something else and save the eotech for when I buy a M&P-15R later this year.

Juice Boxes
April 14, 2010, 11:10 PM
Krebs custom rail. The one that mounts to the rear sight. Really nice accessory.

Carter
April 14, 2010, 11:30 PM
I'd go with the krebs custom rail too. Its a bit pricey and heavy though. Your ak will also startin turnin into an ar with it, but hey, its evolution

SharpsDressedMan
April 15, 2010, 12:19 AM
TWS with a Z-Point on an AK-74. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05683.jpg

41magsnub
April 15, 2010, 09:19 PM
you know.. if I put the eotech to the very rear of the rail it works. The reticile is at the very bottom of the window but it could work. I'll need to take it to the range this weekend and see if it is still inside the range of adjustment.

Uncle Mike
April 15, 2010, 09:53 PM
Side mounting rail and AK side mount...IF the sight sets too high for you, there is quite a bit of distance between the receiver and the bottom of the side mount, so find a welder that will cut a section out of your mount and weld it back together.

mshootnit
April 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
Get a BP-02, and take the rail off. Next get to a machine shop or do this yourself: even the mount by removing the center pillar. Cut and recenter the rail and re-attach. If done right this is the best side mount option for your red dot.

The other option is to take all 3 pillars off then re-attach a rail.

41magsnub
April 16, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'll try that mshootnit, thanks! What I ahve already is the BP-02.

mshootnit
April 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Its alot of work though, but there are links online to what the BP-02 modification looks like when done. I currently have one on a Vepr and a Kobra on my other rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting an EoTech on an AK74" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!