GSG 5 Good deal?

PDA

THE DARK KNIGHT
April 10, 2010, 05:13 PM
GSG 5, $400 out the door, these guns good or do they have any issues? Reliable?

If you enjoyed reading about "GSG 5 Good deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jobu07
April 10, 2010, 05:18 PM
That's not a bad price. If you're looking for a fun .22 plinker you won't be disappointed. Mine has given me no issues and is a ton of fun to shoot - people new to the sport especially like using it.

C-grunt
April 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
I had one and it was definitely a fun gun. I ended up trading it for a Glock 27 since I would use the 27 a lot more than the GSG. But it was a super fun gun and pretty reliable and accurate. I would buy one again.

hoodfu
April 10, 2010, 08:02 PM
I love mine. It has a very light 3.5 pound trigger pull and incredible short reset, so rapid fire is effortless for when you just want to burn through some ammo. Cleaning is a breeze, and it's hardly dirty, even after 2000 rounds. My only gripe, is that to do a take down, it's flat head screws. The umarex mp5 clone, which is an officially licensed H&K product coming out in a little bit for around $5-600, will have the original captive push pin design from the MP5. Ultimately it's not a big deal because this thing needs to be cleaned so rarely. I wouldn't have a problem buying another GSG5 though.

CnRnut
April 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
I like mine. ;)

Balrog
April 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Won't parts replacement be an issue now that they are no longer made?

hoodfu
April 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Probably not too bad since gsg is still in business albeit with a modified version of the gsg5.

WoofersInc
April 11, 2010, 03:18 AM
Won't parts replacement be an issue now that they are no longer made?

As mentioned, parts are not an issue. GSG and the importer ATI made only cosmetic changes (and very small ones at that). The basic internals and functioning parts of the gun are the same. I have 2 of them, the carbine, and the PK pistol. Both have been great guns and are a lot of fun to shoot. They always get a lot of attention at the range.

duncan
December 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
Guys, I know several of you have this carbine chambered in .22lr that resembles an HK MP5. And I've read those threads. Different questions.

BTW - GSG is permitted to service, warranty, and repair GSG products sold in the US through 1/31/11. Parts - no worries.

I hear some people are replacing the screws with better hex screws and also installing push pins for easy takedowns and also an improved buffer. Or is that just overkill?

Would be a great present for my 13 year old son.

Go for the $399 revised GSG-522 which notably has different sights, a different selector, different grip, and an awkwardly placed sling mounting point. But it does have a Picatinny rail integrated on top. I plan to run irons only.

OR . . .

People seem to think the older versions were built sturdier.

Should I look for the GSG-5 which caused HK to sue GSG for trade dress infringement?

AZGlock13
December 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
I just received my GSG-522 carbine from Bud's Gunshop earlier this week (cost me about $405 out-the-door after Bud's 3% credit card fee and my FFL's transfer fee). I'm pretty sure mine's the new revised one (post H&K lawsuit) that GSG is currently making. Mine already has the brass rivet on the extractor/ejector plate (the fix for the older models). I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet. The GSG5 feels pretty beefy to me, has some good heft to it, almost like it was make to shoot 9mm, like the real-deal MP5. When I had a Ruger 10/22, I don't remember it feeling as heavy. I also currently own a Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm and it feels more like it to me (feels very well make to me, not cheap (IMHO)). It came with one 22rd mag. I also bought four more factory 22rd GSG5 mags from CDNN (they have them for $19.95 each, best I seen). I have never handled/nor seen in person an older model to compare, if the older ones are build any better or not. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to put a red dot scope on it. I have also heard that the allen head screws, H&K push-pins and the charging handle buffer are all great mods/upgrades to be done on these rifles/pistols and I plan on doing them as well. Here is the site most everyone recommends for all of the accessory goodies for the GSG rifles/pistols:

http://rrages.com/root/screw/index.htm
http://rrages.com/buffer/index.htm

Girodin
December 12, 2010, 04:43 PM
I hear some people are replacing the screws with better hex screws and also installing push pins for easy takedowns and also an improved buffer. Or is that just overkill?

I've gone over to push pins on one. One doesn't need to do it buy any means. It is just makes life easier for me. People modify them and do all kinds of thing to them, its all just for the fun of doing it mostly.

I'd go for this one for $300 http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/gsg-5-22lr-pistol,-mp-5p-submachine-gun-style-new/products_id/4548 and then pay uncle Sam $200 and put the stock of your choice on it. If your state allows it of course. $100 is worth it for the SBR to me. I've shot both SBR and the regular carbine and the SBR is just more fun. It also makes a great host for a real suppressor. I SBR with a real suppressor is a fun toy.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT23HhCsEo75AHrXbeVAv2rYmiraVgNqhCaclKhRnnGY4jDrGs6LQ

For a bit more the PDW look of a GSG5Pk is pretty cool

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/imagecache/full/images/4142.jpg

Otherwise I'd get the older version. Half the fun is playing big boy GI joe with a MP5 look alike.

InkEd
December 12, 2010, 04:47 PM
They are great guns and I'm willing to bet BETTER than the authorized Umarex versions.
Buy it!

Stevie-Ray
December 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
I highly recommend them. Here's mine after I installed a 30 dollar Tasco red dot on it. Definitely all it needed. Fun times.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/GitchiManitou/100_0511.jpg?1292207367

BP Hunter
December 13, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have read many reviews on it and decided to purchase one, after my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas:D. I placed an order from buds a few days ago and hope to receive it soon.

Stevie-Ray,

Thanks for adding your comment on the Tasco reddot sight. It's 22LR plinker so that is what I will get also.

If you enjoyed reading about "GSG 5 Good deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!