Winchester 94 and Remington 788

PDA

Kentucky_Rifleman
April 10, 2010, 08:19 PM
Okay, I couldn't help it. After 24 years of bolt actions, automatics, and single shots, I bought my FIRST lever action rifle. I've shot dozens of them, and always wanted to get one in 30-30, but always seemed to have other guns higher on my priority list.

I started out the day at Bud's Gunshop in Paris, KY. I came across a Remington 788 in 30-30, a rifle and caliber I've always wanted, but it was going for 550.00. I mulled it over for a while and then passed. It just didn't seem that good a deal to me.

I went from Bud's on to Hensley's in Harrodsburg, walked in, and there it sat, not even tagged yet, a model 94 Winchester Frankengun. I call it a Frankengun because whatever else it is or isn't, it ain't factory stock. It has a good barrel with crisp riflings, lever, works, fittings, and mag tube all in a deep factory blue, but the receiver is case-colored. To top it off, the thing has a metal buttplate with the TC Thompson Center logo.

I have a Thompschester.

It's in good order, and I shot a dozen shells through it, just to get a feel for it. It's accurate, feeds and fires like a well-oiled dream.

Since it's such an oddity, Charlie, the store owner hadn't put much into the rifle, and I bought it for 200.00 cash. I don't know lever actions very well, and Winchesters not at all, but I can't kick about a slick running 200.00 Winchester.

Here are two photos:

KR

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94 and Remington 788" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
April 10, 2010, 08:26 PM
That sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

$200 for a good working Winchester (mostly) 30-30.

dodge
April 11, 2010, 08:08 AM
Great deal.Now all you have to do is find the correct buttplate and then it will be all Winchester. You can try Numrich or maybe even a gunshow to find one.

Sav .250
April 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
What happens in Harrodsburg....stays in Harrodsburg. Enjoy your "new"
Winchester..... :)

Abel
April 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
200??!! You got a great deal. Put a sling on it and hunt.

nwilliams
April 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
$550 for a 788 in 30-30 is a good deal! The 788 chambered in either 30-30 or .44mag are very rare guns and highly collectible.

$200 for the Winchester is a pretty good deal as well, congrats!

rangerruck
April 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
good pickup, and yeah, the 3030 in 788, if you can lower him to 500; you should be all over that as well, especially if it has more than 1 mag- those things are outrageously priced...

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94 and Remington 788" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!