Damaged brass safe to reload?

PDA

Dunkelheit
April 11, 2010, 01:28 PM
Some of the .357 Mag catridges got a little damage from my lever action rifle. Is it safe to reload them or should i throw them in the junkbox? Its not about the money, im just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Damaged brass safe to reload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Damon555
April 11, 2010, 01:41 PM
In my opinion they are safe to reload. Between belling and crimping you probably wont even see those marks when all is said and done.

ScratchnDent
April 11, 2010, 01:48 PM
I, too, would reload those. I would size them, chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth, then flare them, and I will bet they will be fine.

bds
April 11, 2010, 02:13 PM
Agree with Damon555 and ScratchnDent.

Size and bell the cases few times until the damage is gone or minimal.

Scrapperz
April 11, 2010, 02:16 PM
I see no problems there, Size'em and load'em.

HOWARD J
April 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
I really don't see any damage to speak of...............
You should see them come out of my MINI 14 & some of my 45ACP's---then you could see some damage.........................:eek::eek:

Dunkelheit
April 11, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your help.

Chas.
April 13, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'll bet you're shooting some flavor of Rossi. My Puma(Rossi) does the same thing with .44mag. I just ignore and reload as usual.

The Bushmaster
April 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
Load'em...Shoot'em...Load'em again. In the mean time see if you can determine what is causing that and correct it...

Bula
April 13, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm wondering, if a little more roll in their crimps would keep this from happening. Also, check to see if there is a burr in the chamber mouth. But I'd sure reload those empties.

UpTheIrons
April 13, 2010, 03:33 PM
Agreed with everyone else. Resizing ought to fix most of this. Chamfering will do the rest.

GP100man
April 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
Ifin it was my set up I`d roll it a little more !!

Chas.
April 13, 2010, 11:24 PM
The cases are clipping the edge of the ejection port when ejected. Instead of ejecting straight up, ejection is at a bit of an angle. See the tip of the red arrow in the pic. That is where the contact is occurring. You can get an ejection spring which is much better, not as stiff from Steve Young, aka Nate Kiowa Jones, at stevesgunz.com. This is all assuming your gun is made by Rossi.

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/405grCast/Breech.jpg

David E
April 14, 2010, 12:37 AM
Were it mine, I'd bevel that edge just a bit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Damaged brass safe to reload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!