SAA Help!

PDA

charleslee
April 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
I just bought a 2nd. Gen. Colt SAA, NIB, brought it home, wiped it down w/ Rem. Oil, put it in a gun sock & as I was placing in my safe, accidentally bumped it against the edge of the safe. I checked it over w/ a bright light & found a small mark on the side of the barrel, where I think it struck the side of the safe. This mark looked like a tiny scrape, appr. 1/8", but don't know if I did it or it was there already. The gun-sock was a "Sack-Up" brand gun-sock & they're fairly thick, plus I didn't strike the gun real hard. But, maybe it doesn't take much? You experts can weigh in on this. I'm really upset over this. The gun cost me alot, I don't plan on shooting it, & now this. Would such a small mark lower the value? Could I send it to Colt & have them do anything? I'm really kicking mysef in the ass over this! Thanks for the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "SAA Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
April 11, 2010, 11:31 PM
Much ado about nothing. If it is a safe queen it will get safe wear. If you never want to finger it and enjoy it rent a safe deposit box.

Old Fuff
April 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
I think the likelyhood is that the mark was there in the first place. If it's a 2nd. issue revolver the serial number could date it back into the 1950's, and it's unlikely that no one ever handled it during that time.

You could return the revolver to Colt and have them remove, reblue and reinstall the barrel, but the cost would be far too much for the apparent damage.

David E
April 12, 2010, 12:47 AM
I doubt you did it, if the gun was in the gun-sock at the time.

charleslee
April 12, 2010, 07:16 AM
Thank-you, sirs, for your expert opinions/advice. It is a late (1973) 2nd. Gen. Such a beautiful piece, the case colors are outstanding! I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I appreciate it!

nulfisin
April 12, 2010, 09:59 PM
We've all felt that pain. You'll probably want to keep this gun, so don't fret so much about whether resale value is going down -- which is unlikely anyways.

If you enjoyed reading about "SAA Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!