8x57JS & 8X57IS?

PDA

351 WINCHESTER
April 11, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have some 8mm ammo. I have a box of S & B 8x57JS 7.89mm & a box of 7.92 8.57IS (made in Portugal).

I'm new to the 8mm, but I recall that they used 2 different dia. bullets.

I have a Husqvarna 8mm bolt gun based on the 98 action. The barrel is marked 8mm.

I am uncertain about which ammo the gun takes.

I am a little confused and would greatly appreciate someone's help.

If you enjoyed reading about "8x57JS & 8X57IS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nugilum
April 11, 2010, 10:23 PM
I can't find anything out about Husqvarna and their rifle production. All I could really find was they stopped making rifles in 1989.

Now if it's a Mauser action and the barrel says 8mm Mauser, then that would be 8x57JS.

I still would find a competent gunsmith and get clarification if you're unsure. Always better to be safe. ;)

Cosmoline
April 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
8x57JS=8x57IS=7.92x57JS=7.92x57IS

"IS" is for "Infanterie, Spitzgeschoss" or infantry round, pointed bullet

I don't remember the origin of the "J/I" confusion, but in any case it's referring to the exact same cartridge.

The one that's different is the 8x57J or 8x57I, without the "S" on the end. This designates the earlier pre-1905 type for the Commission Mauser and has a .318" diameter bullet instead of the usual .323" They will cross chamber, leading to potentially bad results in the narrow barreled Commission rifles. I understand this to be the reason for SAAMI's insistence that US made 8x57JS be downgraded to .30-30 levels. However, the actual number of unmodified .318" commission mausers around is very very small and those who own them are collectors who know what they have. Most of the stock in the US are already modified to take 8x57JS, though personally I'd stick with cast loads out of them due to their age and pre-98 design.

There's also the 8x57JRS, which is the rimmed version for drillings and single shots. The biggest risk here is that you accidentally buy a box of it for $50 and have to go buy a $2,000 rifle to shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "8x57JS & 8X57IS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!