Well I made a mess of it this time (glass bed failure)

PDA

mshootnit
April 12, 2010, 12:50 AM
Well after glass bedding a few rifles, I wisely decided to have my first real mess up while glass bedding what would have been a very nice M1. Now I don't know where to go from here, but I do know I am done messing with glass bedding for awhile. I don't know what to do for a stock now, I am thinking of trying to find a nice milsurp stock or buying a CMP set. Brother! I have enough to worry about aside from this!:fire:
Bedding an M1 is a whole different animal from other rifles and I am still pissed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well I made a mess of it this time (glass bed failure)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PigButtons
April 12, 2010, 01:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your issue. For the rest of us if you have pics and or can explain what went wrong, you may help me or someone else to avoid a similar situation. Hope you get your M-1 back to usable.

Old Fuff
April 12, 2010, 01:06 AM
Back during the Dark Ages of pre-history (meaning the 1960's) Ulcle Sam's military armorers were building match-grade M-1's, so of course they had an official shop manual that explained among other things how to glass bed one of those suckers. If you shop around you might find a copy, and if so I strongly suggest that you get it ASAP.

Never, ever... glass bed anything without fully understanding the right way too do it... :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Well I made a mess of it this time (glass bed failure)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!