Just For Size

PDA

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 13, 2010, 09:05 PM
1847 Colt Walker vs. modern NAA WOW what a difference!
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/WalkerNAA.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Just For Size" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al LaVodka
April 13, 2010, 10:48 PM
Ya know, they make a little stainless .22 C&B revolver, right?
Al

Tomahawk674
April 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
Yes, which they want a little over $200 for. Thing is, that's 2/3rds of a new Uberti...

goon
April 14, 2010, 01:02 AM
Yep... Could have that new squareback Navy or an 1860 Army for about $287.

madcratebuilder
April 14, 2010, 07:58 AM
Pack that NAA full of T7 and it barks pretty good.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/naa2202.jpg

Gambit88
April 14, 2010, 02:02 PM
awwwweee so cute :)

Texas Moon
April 14, 2010, 02:21 PM
Now you need a Baby Dragoon to fit in between!

higene
April 14, 2010, 11:32 PM
kwhi43,

Notice any of the players?

Big Boy is out of Missouri, once owned by a notorious outlaw pistolero. (Big Boy's had a face lift did anyone notice?) It has been reported around the campfires of Yacolt to have been used by the James/Younger gang. Bidding is on, but I'm holding out for way more than a couple kegs of beer.

Little Dog is the most rare of the NAA SAGs (Single Action Gambler), 22 short only. Little Dog can show her face here because .22 shorts were the first BP cartridge. I'm having a little trouble locating BP .22 shorts. I make do with CCI and Remingtons.

Higene

:scrutiny:

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 15, 2010, 11:14 AM
You got that right!

higene
April 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
kwhi43,

This thread seems to be slowing down a little and I am taking this opportunity to bend the focus a little bit and show you my "New" .32. I know you are real fan of .32s and will give you a little background. This Traditions Crockett pistol was my first build a couple of years ago now. I had a store bought .32 Crockett rifle which is wickedly accurate and surprisingly powerful. However, the .32 pistol was woefully inaccurate. I don't believe that I ever shot a 6" group at 50' with it and I never really tried it any further. I did kill a rat with it at about 4 paces. So I settled for minute of rat at 10 feet and went on to other things. Then I got the Blanket gun from you and it got me to thinking.

I had a .32 Traditions "Deer Hunter" which was the cheapest rifle Traditions sold when I bought it but it shot really well. It rusted in the closet for 20 years and when I got back into BP I blew the nipple out of it and darn near kilt myself so I put it back in the closet.

Later on I got the idea to bob the barrel and make a Buffalo Gun or more appropriately "Jack Rabbit" gun. So (Stick with me this story is going someplace) I had the barrel bobbed to 15" and crowned. I converted the Traditions pistol grip to accept the hooked breach of the Traditions Deer Hunter and the lock and hardware fit O.K. after deepening the barrel channel for the Hunter barrel. After a period of down time I got a new barrel and nipple.

This weekend I got the whole thing assembled and ready to shoot and amid a lot of interruptions I got the dang thing to go off.

Next I plan on really working out on load development. I may change the sights depending on how load development works.

My questions are would TC adjustable sights seriously detract from the authenticity of the pistol? I am really concerned with accuracy and hunting with the weapon. I dream of a 25 to maybe in my wildest dream 50 yard rabbit pistol. It would also be better for rats (while a .32 has proven plenty enough gun for them when ambushed what if I get buck fever and wound one? Those suckers can be mean and they might charge if wounded - I feel safer giving them a little space.)

I have thought about scoping the darn thing as the barrel is tapped for it. I think scoped BP looks kinda goofy but it would help my aging eyes and boost accuracy. Maybe a long eye relief Weaver K2 or something like that.

I also wonder what would be the implications of welding up the old dovetail slots on a 1" barrel? Would it seriously affect accuracy?

All comments welcome.

Higene (creator of the Frankin/Crockett pistol)

:scrutiny:

PS: loads were 25 g FFF Goex, cast .31 ball, and cut up T shirt at 25 yards.

arcticap
April 19, 2010, 12:36 AM
That's a pretty neat pistol! :)
There's a vendor on Auction Arms named "blkpwdrsls" that sells various quantities of .32 Maxiballs which should be a fun conical to try out over a wad or card.
He states:

feel free to e-mail me if you want a different quatity. blkpwdrsls@yahoo.com

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9636084&oh=216543

And if you can find a model with the right features, red dot scopes offer unlimited eye relief, can have multiple reticles, are light weight and can be a fairly economical alternative to handgun scopes. Being only 1X, the red dot won't shake as much while trying to hold it steady for shooting at longer range which makes it easier to aim with. That's what many folks use on their .22LR pistols.

higene
April 19, 2010, 12:54 AM
The pistol does have a 1:48 twist rate and I have been thinking about conicals for it. In the past mentioning conicals and a .32 has raised so much hate and discontent that I do everyone's blood pressure a favor and just think about it. I have had trouble finding conicals with out of production TC molds and a .323 Martini Cadet mold the only leads which seem doable. .32 boolets are listed in catalogues but have always been out of stock. 32 HBWC pistol bullets keyhole as do X patched .308 rifle bullets. Thanks for the idea.

Higene

:eek:

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hello Gene, I think, the twist is too slow for a bullet. Actually it's too slow
for a ball.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just For Size" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!