2 ARs in the works

PDA

The King of Pants
April 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've got a pair of Cav Arms lowers that I picked up a while back that I'm getting ready to build. One is getting built as a scoped 20" in the 3-Gun-ish mode. The other is getting registered and is getting built as a suppressed 9mm, mostly for use as a house gun.

My questions today center on the first rifle. It will admittedly be mostly a range toy for now, though varmint disposal is the the other reason I settled on the 20" 5.56/.223.

I've been shopping intensely for a couple of days now. Since I've already settled on a lower, I've been looking at complete uppers knowing that I may end up having to swap some parts to get things exactly as I want them. I've been avoiding trying to buy the upper in parts on the advice of my local dealer (who admittedly would probably love to just sell me a whole rifle) with his reasons including price, potential warranty coverage and proper fit of the components (not sure how legit that one is).

The key features I want in this rifle:
1 in 7" threaded HBAR profile barrel (a suppressor may be in the future)
Flat top A3/4 upper
flip up front and rear sights
FF forearm (my dealer was emphatically against this for anything but a match rifle)

I guess I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to where I should be shopping at this point and what I should be shopping for. The closest upper assembly I've run across to what I'm envisioning is the Entry Level Rifle YHM-15 Top End (http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product432.html), save for the hand guard and the barrel flutes and lack of threading. Anyone have any recommendations for a similar setup off the shelf? Or is piecing something together feasible at a similar price point?

If you enjoyed reading about "2 ARs in the works" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "2 ARs in the works" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!