just bought Dan Wesson mod.15.....

PDA

TonyB
January 21, 2003, 04:23 PM
I traded in my 6" GP100 for it.Got 2 grips(stock and Pachmyer)3 barrels 2.5",4" and 6"....what sold me was the 2 shorter barrels
I love the 2.5" for carry and the 4" for IDPA.
Acouple of questions......the gap thing has me worried...how tight a fit co I use when inserting the gap thingy?Should it move freely or tightly?Also can there be too much gap?I'm not really concerned w/ loosing power for IDPA,but I would for defence.
Anyway the price was $250...w/ my trade he charged me $40.
Did I do good??
I loved my GP but wasn't shooting it much.I always wanted a 4" anyway.
I know Rugers a indestrutable,but the DW seems to be built almost as strong.
any comments??????thanks TonyB:)

If you enjoyed reading about "just bought Dan Wesson mod.15....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
January 21, 2003, 05:28 PM
Feeler guage should be 0.006. Just lay it on the cylinder face and screw the barrel in until it's snug enough to keep the gauge from falling out by it's self.

After you tighten the barrel nut, re-check the gap. You should be able to insert the guage whithout having to force the cylinder back.

Anything from .002 --> .009 should work fine, so the exact gap isn't critical.

Shoot lots of lead bullets and you'll probably want it wide. Jacketed bullets will allow you to close it up a bit.

Good Luck...

Joe

Bill Adair
January 21, 2003, 07:24 PM
Joe,

Buy yourself a flat blade feeler gauge assortment from your nearest auto parts store, for a few bucks.

Mine has only a dozen blades from two thousandths up, and covers anything I want to do. It's much smaller than my automotive feeler gauge set, which sits unused in my tool box since the days of points and adjustable valve lifters. :rolleyes:

My six inch barrel model 15-2 was set with the factory gauge over twenty years ago, and has not moved in spite of thousands of rounds being fired. Still the most accurate revolver I own, and my personal favorite.

As Tony said, you can reduce your barrel gap to less than .006, but the smaller the gap, the more often you have to clean the barrel and cylinder face. You gain a little velocity, and lose some gap flash with a tighter setting.

Bill

Swamp Yankee
January 21, 2003, 11:28 PM
Feeler gauge technique as shown to me by Daniel B. Wesson.

I know it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, Make sure the gun is unloaded.

Hold the feeler very lightly between thumb and forefinger. Keep sliding the gauge slowly back and forth as you screw in the barrel. Gap is set when the barrel stops the gauge movement and your fingers slip off.
Be very careful when installing the barrel that you do not push the cylinder to the rear. If you do, you'll notice the cylinder does not rotate easily, if at all.
I have to agree with Joe, as to the gap setting. I set mine at .003 but shoot primarily jacketed bullets. If your shooting lead, by all means open it up a bit to .006.
As to the deal, guns go for different prices in different locations but it certainly sounds like you did OK. And your right, Dan Wessons are very strong, designed to live long on a diet of .357 Mag. Shoot it to your hearts content.
Take Care

stans
January 22, 2003, 06:54 AM
I sure miss my DW 15-2, so don't let yours go like I did.:(

Quantrill
January 22, 2003, 09:23 AM
TonyB.,
I bought a model 15 after meeting Dan Wesson at Camp Perry a few years ago. I believe it to be the most accurate .38/.357 revolver I own. If you reload for it from brass other than shot in it, check the fit after running a few through the reloader. Mine has the tightest chambers I have ever come across. Quantrill

Maestro
January 22, 2003, 05:27 PM
Wish I still had mine.Very accurate and very strong.Alas,I double charged a case on a progressive press.Gun went boom,hand went numb.Returned to D.W. as they asked to see it.Was returned in like new condition for a charge 60.00.Very fine people at D.W.:D I like the deal you made.

If you enjoyed reading about "just bought Dan Wesson mod.15....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!