NEW Mossberg Plinker .22 semi auto ?

PDA

Marcus
November 25, 2003, 08:53 PM
I was browsing at Wally World tonight and came across something interesting. It looked for all the world like a synthetic stocked Marlin with a 10rd. magazine. On closer inspection the forend of the stock was shaped different,the rear sight was different and the mag release was larger. I decided to take a look just for the heck of it. It looked to be just as well made as a Marlin or Ruger. Then I found the most interesting things. 1)It`s made in Brazil by CBC (or something like that) and 2) it`s the lightest full sized gun I`ve ever handled! This thing made my Marlin Model 60 feel like an elephant gun! I could hold it and move it around easily with just my thumb and forefinger. It struck me that this could be a great little plinker for my little wife (or a child). Anyone ever see one of these or have any experiences with one? Oh,BTW I forgot the best part. It was $86.97! :scrutiny: Marcus

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW Mossberg Plinker .22 semi auto ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marcus
November 28, 2003, 09:19 PM
Wow,I`m the only guy here that`s seen one of these little buggers? It`s not on Mossberg`s website but I found them listed for sale online as the Mossberg 702 Plinker. I may have to pick one up just to try it out. Marcus

ojibweindian
November 28, 2003, 10:13 PM
I saw a few of them earlier this week at Wally World. They seem to be okay, and I'd like to get one. However, I don't feel like playing the role of guinnea pig.

454c
November 28, 2003, 11:14 PM
My brother and a friend bought a couple last weekend and the only problem they had was the cheap Super X ammo not firing a few times.It wasn't the gun 'cause they used the same ammo in other guns.Only time will tell how they will hold up.

Kharn
November 29, 2003, 12:02 PM
Anyone have a pic of one?

Kharn

VictorLouis
November 30, 2003, 07:44 PM
Marlin mags?

ojibweindian
November 30, 2003, 08:03 PM
I thought they were tube fed.

ENC
December 1, 2003, 01:32 PM
IMO if you know anyone that can't handle a model 60 you need to start forcefeeding them creatine and steroids.

ojibweindian
December 1, 2003, 01:58 PM
IMO if you know anyone that can't handle a model 60 you need to start forcefeeding them creatine and steroids.

You wouldn't happen to be addressing my statement about not wanting to be a guinea pig, would you?

If so, the "guinea pig" statement is referring to my desire to not be the first one on my block to get one and find out it's a piece of garbage.

If not, then please disregard this post.

Marcus
December 1, 2003, 09:38 PM
The one I saw used a 10rd. removable magazine. It looks just like a Marlin Model 70 with synthetic stock except for the rear sight and a very slight flare in the forend. As for the weight thing,personally I don`t find my CETME heavy at all and I often carry a S&W 1006 for my CCW. However my wife is pretty small and girley. She can handle the Model 60 but the butt stock is too long for her and it`s 22" barrel and tube magazine put enough weight out front that she looses interest in shooting it off hand after awhile. She could shoot this Mossberg all day with no effort at all. Marcus

ENC
December 1, 2003, 11:05 PM
I was replying to the first post.

I have been shooting a marlin 60 pretty much forever I guess I just can't imagine someone not being able to handle it. I wasn't trying to sound like a smart alek.

BryanP
December 6, 2003, 05:03 PM
I found a picture of the Mossberg 702 Plinkster

http://www.acusport.com/AcuSportWeb/

http://www.acusport.com/AcuSportWeb/assets/images/mos_702pkg.jpg

Mossberg 702 Plinkster
Caliber: .22 LR
Barrel Length: 18"
Mag. Capacity: 10
Finish: Blue

I held one today at the local Sprawl-Mart. Light little thing.

Schleprok62
January 26, 2006, 11:46 PM
The Mossberg web address is:

http://www.mossbergintl.com/pages/702plinkster.htm

pics and specs... :cool:

jrbakke
February 4, 2006, 05:10 PM
Just purchased this rifle yesterday to use as a huge money savings devise for "plinking" (other rifle owned is a Mosin-Nagant M44 and ammo is somewhat expensive averaging @ $.75 a round for locally obtained ammo). Will be firing a number of rounds tomorrow (probably about 200-250) and will post again with report and findings.

bergzilla
October 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
I have one of these little buggers and it is just what a begginer or higher level shooter should own. I have been very happy with how well it performs. I have never had it jam. I dont clean it regularly. Which is bad but if you are thinking on purchasing go ahead. They have simple internal workings as far as i can remeber. Ive had it apart once because I thought the cocking lever was bad but it is actualy intended to be loose . The reason is when you pull the action open push the lever in to lock it open for easier cleaning.

ar10
October 11, 2008, 11:16 PM
I like the one I got about a year ago. What I liked best about it was it came with a small scope and even better it was 60.00 + tax. I bought it at the local Dick Sporting Goods.

It's exactly what they say it is, a "plinker", and I use it to start kids out in shooting. I've never had a problem with the gun but have had a few problems with the cheap .22 ammo I got.

rangerruck
October 11, 2008, 11:20 PM
it is very much a copy of the mod 60, and what is does have that is unique is this; a actuall fully adjustable rear site, though not the prettiest.
most 22's dont do this anymore, they either have no sites at all, or just an elevator rear.
now then, the quality control can be a bit hit or miss, but you are right, they are double tough to beat for the money. If you do incurr a problem with one, unless it is under 30 days old , and you can take it back to where you bought it , for return, just throw it away, it is not worth fixing.

Now then , right now, there is a fantastic deal going on, that no one should pass up, and i do mean, no one;
Right now, academy is selling the Marlin 795 for 100 bucks, thats right, 100 bucks!!!
I seriously doubt, that you will ever see a new sold rifle , of any caliber, new or milsurp, for this price , again!!!! EVer!!!! I am thinking of getting 3- as for those in the know, many consider this the best of the mod 60, a synth stock, that can take a lifetime of abuse, combined with fast reloading mags.
I have seen these being sold for as much as 200 bucks, at gunshops and shows, and they are usually 150 or more, anywhere you go.
So if anyone was even remotely thinking of a good little new semiauto,
THIS IS IT!!!! JUMP NOW!!!! I may get 3 or 4, just for an investment pupose.
if you don't have an Academy near you, see if you can get an ad from academy, from yourpaper, or off a website, and take it to your nearest big box store, like wally world or Gander, and see if they will match.

chris in va
October 12, 2008, 03:04 AM
Ok, who dredged up this old thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW Mossberg Plinker .22 semi auto ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!