Oh, what have I done, what have I done?

PDA

Barksdale123
April 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
New gun, first venture into the darkside (black powder) new pistol today.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu219/Photofoto/target004.jpg

All the tools are coming shortly from different places.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh, what have I done, what have I done?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barksdale123
April 14, 2010, 10:10 PM
Another picture, I don't know how to put two pictures on one post. Kinda single action on the computer

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu219/Photofoto/target002.jpg

Zack
April 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
you missed [/img] at start, you said IMG]HTTP:// should be [img]http::// also you can just post it under the other link. What is the year of make?

ClemBert
April 14, 2010, 10:21 PM
On behalf of the other Soot Lords I congratulate you on a fine looking flame thrower. Now go make some smoke and flame!

p.s. you were just missing the [ bracket infront of that that first IMG]

Barksdale123
April 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
Zack its an 1851 Navy (replica of course) .36 cal. Plan to add some excitement to the local range as soon as all the supplies get here. Suprised, but here in So. Fla. hard to find all the stuff I need. Have to wait for the internet orders.

Action seems pretty smooth. I guess I got lucky.

Fingers McGee
April 15, 2010, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the darkside Barksdale123. You'll find that your new acquisition is only the first of many.

FM

goon
April 15, 2010, 12:52 AM
You'll love it! Every time I go to the range with mine a crowd gathers around my bench. People love the look of it - walnut and blued. They love the handling of it and the engineering. And they love the bang and the smoke!

Barksdale123
April 16, 2010, 09:00 AM
Read the Pietta owners manual, and the Cabellas Manual. Cabella says 22 grains FFFG, the Pietta Manual says 9 -12 grains. What am I missing? Any input? Still waiting for some of the stuff to go shooting to come in the mail.

Foto Joe
April 16, 2010, 11:26 AM
Read the Pietta owners manual, and the Cabellas Manual. Cabella says 22 grains FFFG, the Pietta Manual says 9 -12 grains. What am I missing? Any input? Still waiting for some of the stuff to go shooting to come in the mail.
I went through the same thing when I got my first one (Pietta '51 Conf. Navy). You have to remember, we live in a litigious society where nothing is your fault if you're an idiot. You HAVE to blame someone else for your mistakes, it's the new American way. The attorneys for Cabela's and Pietta undoutbedly have there fat fingers in the process of writing the owners manuals in attempt to limit the liability of the former.

On my brass Navy I load 20gr 3f and she shoots very nice. Personally, on a .36 caliber pistol I'd use the same load.

You'll get differing opinions on this next part though. Since the chamber is much deeper than the 20gr load you'll have quite a distance between the ball and the forcing cone with that load. I also use a 20gr cornmeal filler after the powder (some people use Cream-of-Wheat). "I" think it helps ballistically as far as my groups are concerned, I could be wrong, in fact there's a 50/50 chance that I am, but it's just one of those things that I do. Cornmeal is cheap and my wife hasn't noticed it's missing yet, so all is good.

I'm also one of those Crisco users, but I live in Wyoming so the heat isn't much of an issue.

BHP FAN
April 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
I like the Wonder Wads...no ''greasy kid stuff'', and it's kinda like cleaning your bore with each shot.

ClemBert
April 16, 2010, 11:51 AM

In this case Cabelas is spot on. FWIW, Hodgon's shows 20 grains of Triple Se7en FFFg which is equivalent to loading about 23 grains of FFFg black powder.

Calibre44
April 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Congratulations young Padawan - you have taken the first steps to a smokier future ... enjoy:)

scrat
April 16, 2010, 02:56 PM
hahahaha your so much in trouble. 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3 and so on and so on

theotherwaldo
April 16, 2010, 04:03 PM
Looks tempting. Never had a functional .36, just relics. May have to get me one... .

Texas Moon
April 16, 2010, 04:41 PM
Just don't ever get a Walker! :evil:

ClemBert
April 16, 2010, 04:44 PM
Just don't ever get a Walker!

You mean ANOTHER one. :p

Texas Moon
April 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
These dang things are like potato chips. Nobody can have just one.
:what:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Foto Joe
April 17, 2010, 11:31 AM
hahahaha your so much in trouble. 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3 and so on and so on
Never a truer statement uttered!! My wife shudders when she realizes what she created by gettiin' me one for Christmas this year.

I will also add to Clemberts statement by saying "or a Dragoon!!"

Barksdale123
April 25, 2010, 06:02 PM
Scrat said, "hahahaha your so much in trouble. 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3 and so on and so on "

You've cursed me. :eek: I'm following an auction for a Le Mat on gunbroker. ($ 515.00) Now what do I do?

Chasing Crow
April 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
Yep, they are right. One just won't cut it. Congrats on joining us charcoal burners! You'll never regret it.

MCgunner
April 25, 2010, 10:07 PM
You done went and got a Navy, what you done. Correct caliber, too. Congrats!

madcratebuilder
April 26, 2010, 07:52 AM
Colt specified 15-20grs with 18grs recommended for the .36 51 & 61 Navy.
A good rule of thumb for cap and ball loads is use one half the caliber as a starting load. A .36 would be 18grs and a .44 would be 22grs. This applies to steel frame guns. The half caliber load I would consider max for a brass frame gun.

eastbank
April 26, 2010, 08:51 AM
you are now hooked and there is no cure for the stinky side, the addiction just gets worse. i have had it since 1963, i have been to many betty ford type clinics. but it can only be slowed down but there is no known cure.i have fallen off the wagon so many times my head hurts. my long suffering wife says they are like skunks,they both stink when you shoot them. eastbank.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh, what have I done, what have I done?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!