Shot a H&K UMP .45 - OUCH!!

PDA

xanderzuk
April 14, 2010, 10:28 PM
So I shot a new H&K UMP .45 at the range a couple days ago. A cop walked in that I knew from back in the day and had one.

He loaded it up with .45 200 grain +P. OUCH!! I've shot 9mm, .40, .38, .357 Mag, .45 (pistols), 30-30's, .270's, 12 gauge, etc. This gun kicked more than anything I've ever shot - rrreeeally bizarre. Everyone had the same impression too. It honest to God hurt my shoulder. Granted the stock is just hard plastic with no padding, but I was still so surprised that a pistol round like that would kick the way it did through a decently sized weapon.

Other than that, my review of the gun is that it is achievable of really good accuracy (not from my shooting, but the cops), but I don't like the safety/fire selector switch. It's too bulky and gets in the way of your thumb. I feel like this with the new SCAR as well. I wish they could be like the AR selector, easy to flip, but low profile enough to stay out of the way. The sights are also very err.. combat oriented; very large and open.

Also, why is it that a gun like this is a class III item? I'm sure it falls under some rule because of barrel length or folding stock blah blah blah, but politics aside I think it's so ridiculous that you can't buy this gun without a tax stamp. Make a pistol bigger and all of a sudden it's a no-no.

Anyway, it would be a lot of fun to shoot this gun more and improve, but again really surprised in how hard it kicked.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot a H&K UMP .45 - OUCH!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
April 14, 2010, 10:54 PM
why is it that a gun like this is a class III item?

If it fires full-auto or burst it is an NFA Title II machine gun.

If it has a shoulder stock and a barrel under 16" it is an NFA Title II Short-Barreled Rifle.

Wahoo95
April 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
UMP is a SBR

PTK
April 15, 2010, 02:12 AM
UMP is a SBR
What are you on about? They're FA from the factory. You may be thinking of the USC, though...

JTW Jr.
April 15, 2010, 02:16 AM
UMP = Universal Machinen-Pistole

Full auto not SBR , The UMP is a blowback-operated select-fire submachine gun, being fired from the closed bolt , and being made post-86 = not transferable to private citizens.

If it wasn't full auto , then maybe it was a short bll'd version of the USC ( made to look like an UMP )

xanderzuk
April 15, 2010, 07:29 AM
http://www.hk-usa.com/military_products/ump_general.asp

This is the exact gun if it's in question. If it was selectable fire, I didn't know, I was shooting it on single shot.

**Although it did NOT have the rubber butt pad pictured!

kimberkid
April 15, 2010, 08:25 AM
I picked up a USC when they first came out, it was very pleasant to shoot with the 16" barrel ...

I didn't keep it very long, no folding stock and the 10 round mags just took all the fun out of it ... by the time the ban expired I'd lost interest in HK's plastic carbines as I had an HK SL8 and the receiver cracked shortly after I bought it.

1KPerDay
April 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
The UMP .45 is probably my favorite gun I've ever shot. What a cool chopper!

SharpsDressedMan
April 15, 2010, 03:23 PM
Individual cops do not qualify for ownership of post -86 imported mechineguns. The police department has to own the weapon, or it could be a dealer sample (that later must be surrendered or sold if the dealer drops his license).

lions
April 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
From the link in post #6:
Available as a select-fire submachine gun or semi-automatic carbine

Sounds like it may be a SBR after all.

Bovice
April 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
you should've pulled it in tighter if it was hurting, softie.

xanderzuk
April 15, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Bovice lol, I knew I was gonna catch flak for that.

SharpsDressedMan: I should've been clearer that the gun did belong to the department, not the cop as an individual. Sorry about that

PTK
April 16, 2010, 12:47 AM
SBR = USC. MG = UMP. USC looks like a UMP.

bermise
April 21, 2010, 05:34 PM
Can any one recommend a good place in Texas to buy a HK usc rifle?

MrM4
April 22, 2010, 12:39 AM
ive fired a UMP postie a few times, great gun. fairly controlable compared to many older .45 subguns.

bermise
April 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
I appreciate your input and by the way I have seen some videos of the machine gun shoot in South Dakota and it is awesome. I wish Texas had a organization like that.

MrM4
April 22, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks Bermise, theres a MG shoot near Dallas in a few weeks that im going to, not as big but lots fun. check out UZITALK.COM for the details

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52833

stiletto raggio
May 5, 2010, 07:13 PM
I did some training on a UMP .45 as a cadet (with some guys who trained on non-standard Army weapons) and it kicked the hell out of my face. Ultimately, it is a straight blowback design that lacks some of the endearing features of the MP5 (good trigger, good sights, extremely good controllability) and has nothing major to recommend for it. The MP5SD is extraordinarily quiet and reliable and quite a bit shorter than a UMP with a decent can. If you are a 9mm hater, the MP5 is available in 10mm, which is much more powerful than the .45, especially out of a carbine. Either way, the MP is a better option.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot a H&K UMP .45 - OUCH!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!