308 Winchester Palma in 308 Win Chamber?

PDA

DIM
April 15, 2010, 02:48 PM
It might sound absurd, but is it possible to shoot 308 Win Palma out of regular 308 Winchester chamber, or I have to get my chamber redone to accept such cartridge? Same thing vice verso shoot regular 308 win ammo out of 308 Win Palma?

Thanx !

If you enjoyed reading about "308 Winchester Palma in 308 Win Chamber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Howard Roark
April 15, 2010, 06:21 PM
This question all depends on what you are calling 308 Win Palma ammo. True Palma ammo is has 155 or 155.5 gr. bullets. Palma chambers such as the 95 Palma reamer are set up with a shorter throat to match up with the shorter 155gr bullet.

That said, will Palma loads shoot from a standard chamber? Yes, they will have more space to jump before entering the lands. Is that the best set-up? No.

Standard ammo with heaver bullets will have to be seated deeper because of the shorter throat of a Palma reamer. If not, overpressure can be a problem.

Keep in mind that there are several "Palma" chambers that are designed to shoot different bullets. Palma 95 is what I use and is probably the most popular.

Bobarino
April 15, 2010, 06:52 PM
if i understand correctly, you're wanting to shoot some factory ammo that says "Palma" on it in a factory .308 win gun, is that correct? if so, then you're perfectly fine. the ammo is intended as a Palma Match load. the cartridge itself is no different in spec than .308 win other than the 155 gr bullet.

incidentally, i'm shooting a Remmy SPS-Varmint in .308 and the best performing round i've found so far is Hornaday's 155 gr "Palma" load.

Bobby

DIM
April 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
I was more like to load 308 win palma brass into my 308 win standard chamber, I thought I'll get some loads, fire-form them to fit my standard chamber then use it later as standard for my loads. I thought to try small rifle primers in 308 cartridge see what I will gain or loose in the process.

DIM
April 15, 2010, 08:36 PM
308 Palma loads are different they got slightly different reamer and they use small rifle primers, while 308 win using large rifle primers
http://www.longrangehunting.com/images/308-shooting-products-002.jpg

DIM
April 15, 2010, 09:03 PM
I shoot 155 gr Nosler's Custom Competition bullets which has higher B.C then Sierra's 155 Palma bullets 0.447 vs. 0.450 B.C out of my rifle, it holds sub 1/2 moa, I just thought I might get an edge with .308 Win Palma brass

DIM
April 16, 2010, 10:28 AM
I guess no takers on this one :uhoh: well just going to try it myself :scrutiny:

Zak Smith
April 16, 2010, 11:16 AM
Lapua "Palma" .308 brass has small primer pocket- that's the substantial difference. They do this to reduce vertical dispersion at long range, however, they do not recommend its use in cold weather.

There is nothing wrong with shooting 155gr bullets out of a normal chamber. The majority of LR shooters using the 155 are using a normal chamber. I have fired thousands of them out of the factory chamber on my AI-AWP.

DIM
April 16, 2010, 11:38 AM
Vertical Dispersion that's what I'm after!!! usually 500 yard pattern 3 shots, 2 would stay within 1" from each other the third one would travel 2.5" - 2.8" VERTICALLY so my groups suffer to 2.8" at 500 yards which is not bad still 1/2 MOA but I think riffle capable of better results in 0.3 MOA at least , so I'm thinking small primers are the answer to this problem...

Howard Roark
April 16, 2010, 09:04 PM
Your verticle dispersion is most likely due to inconsistant bullet length giving variable bullet jump rather than the primer size. IMHO match primers are plenty good and consistant these days. Kent Reeve (NM Long Range Winner) got rid of his small primer 308 stuff a couple of years ago and I'm positive he shoots regular Lapua brass now.

Try measuring bullet length to ogive and sorting your bullets according to length. I've seen Sierra 155gr SMK vary .010 from the same box, two seperate lenghts, not good. Longer bullet = higher pressure = high shots.

I have some Winchester brass stamped Win Palma with large primers. Stamping Palma on brass doesn't make Palma ammo.

DIM
April 16, 2010, 11:00 PM
Thank you all for replies!
As far as bullet sorting I'm sorting them by weight then by ogive where I have .001" variance in groups.... Yes Sierra and Nosler have +- 0.0.50 ogive difference, its all depends on the batch there is also slight weight deviation... Brass is sorted by weight and by H2O capacity, the only thing which can be inconstant is my annealing I don't have machine for it and I do it manually...

If you enjoyed reading about "308 Winchester Palma in 308 Win Chamber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!