Sharpton for Prez

PDA

powerstrk
January 21, 2003, 04:50 PM
Sharpton Files for 2004 Presidential Run
Tue Jan 21,12:44 PM ET

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Saying the Democratic Party needs to expand its political base, the Rev. Al Sharpton formally filed papers Tuesday seeking the party's nomination for the 2004 presidential race.

AP Photo

The 48-year-old civil rights leader said he was the only candidate who is "anti-war, anti-death penalty, anti-tax cut across the board." Sharpton, who is black, said he would reach out to disaffected voters, including Latinos, blacks and young people.

"The Democratic Party cannot win unless it expands its base, unless it goes out and gets those that have been disaffected," Sharpton said at a news conference after filing the papers at the Federal Election Commission (news - web sites).

Sharpton, who has unsuccessfully run for mayor and the U.S. Senate, has been outspoken on many local and national issues, most notably on police brutality in the highly publicized cases of Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima in New York City, and the U.S. military bombing on the tiny Puerto Rican island of Vieques.

Last week, Sharpton charged that too many presidential candidates are "rich white men" who don't understand the makeup of America or the world community, and that the country is "going in the wrong direction."

Senate Democrats running for president or considering a run include Sens. John Kerry of Massachusetts, John Edwards of North Carolina, and Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut. Rep. Dick Gephardt, of Missouri, also is likely to run. Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean was the first Democrat to declare his candidacy.

I hope this is what he experiences

:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Sharpton for Prez" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ-75
January 21, 2003, 04:53 PM
I am so with him. :rolleyes:

Takin' it to the Man in '04. :D

Drjones
January 21, 2003, 04:59 PM
I'm about to throw up.

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me this is a joke.

PLEASE?:what:

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Beer for my Horses
January 21, 2003, 05:01 PM
If baffles me that Sharpton gets the press coverage that he does. He'll be a sub 5% candidate, yet the media quote almost every rediculous thing he says. I guess it shouldn't baffle me, Black Americans really don't have a respectable leader, so the media turns to the most vocal black face: the Reverend. He is entertaining to watch on the talk show circuit though. But in the end he's just another minority politician that lives off perpetuating racism and tension between the races to remain in the spotlight. If we had racial harmony tomorrow, Sharpton, Jackson, Cochran and their like would be out of a job.

cuchulainn
January 21, 2003, 05:29 PM
If baffles me that Sharpton gets the press coverage that he does.

Mediatainment.

Bob Locke
January 21, 2003, 05:33 PM
He ought to be in jail, not on a ballot.

It wasn't that long ago (5 or 6 years) that he incited a riot that led to the stabbing death of a Jewish fellow in NYC.

Dan Shapiro
January 21, 2003, 05:35 PM
he does have good hair :D

rick_reno
January 21, 2003, 05:49 PM
Big Al has got my vote! I hope he talks Don King into accepting the VP slot...

rock jock
January 21, 2003, 06:04 PM
And Tawanna Brawley will be his spokesperson.

JPM70535
January 21, 2003, 06:07 PM
Best news I've heard all day. Now if Big Al will just talk his good buddy and fellow leech, The Reverand Jesse ( I never met a white man who wasn't a Racist or a black man who wasn't oppressed) Jackson to be his running mate. What a dream ticket, the perfect blend of inteloligence and humility. I fully expect that if they run as a team, they will win in a landslide. NOT.

BTW has either of them ever held a real job that didn't entail living off their own people. If their people ever wake up and smell the coffee, they will be out on their ears.

rock jock
January 21, 2003, 06:33 PM
If their people ever wake up and smell the coffee, they will be out on their ears.
I would say they have pretty good job security.

dev_null
January 21, 2003, 06:38 PM
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Maybe he'll pick Hillary for vice (so to speak).

Now, if the Republicans would run Rat Robertson against Sharpton, maybe we'd see a Libertarian in the White House!

-0-

Destructo6
January 21, 2003, 06:51 PM
He just wants to add, "Former Presidential Candidate" to his resume, since "former senate candidate" doesn't sound as impressive. He's got a snowball's chance of getting the nomination, let alone the presidency. Also, it's a plush ride if you're not serious.

J. Jackson, "Hymietown".

http://www.warroom.com/Racial/jessjack.htm

OF
January 21, 2003, 07:01 PM
I love it. How can we get him to win the Democratic nomination? That would be the bomb. :D

- Gabe

DonP
January 21, 2003, 07:06 PM
Big Al is after the power in the Dem party.

He is making a play for the power broker chair that Jesse has held for years. He knows he isn't a serious player for any national office, but the perks and power that go with just being the offical leader of the African-American branch of the Democratic party are a nice target to shoot for.

The fun part is watching Donna Brazile and the Democratic power structure run "Favorite Son" local black candidates in every state they can to try and derail his efforts. Here in Illinois, they have already announced that Carol Moseley Braun (disgraced former Senator) is running for Prez in the primary. The goal is to splinter the black voting bloc to keep Al from emerging as any kind of real. credible national player.

I don't particularly care one way or the other as they tinkle on each others territories and legs. It's entertaining and maybe Al will get upset and become the Deocratic version of John McCain (Oh wait, that's a redundancy) and he can sit on the sidelines of every event and whine about what he would have done.

I love the hypocrisy of it all. The "party of inclusion" is using one black politico (Brazile) to torpedo the efforts and aspirations of another (Sharpton) to maintain the status quo of a third (Jackson). But none of them will probably ever be allowed to have any real power or control at a national level.

But then again these are the same people that had Ted Kennedy give a platform speech on morality and ethics at the convention. Might as well let him give a speech to student drivers too.

Don P.

Blackhawk
January 21, 2003, 07:08 PM
The 48-year-old civil rights leader.... Now there's a profession that must rank lower than all others, and Al has shown that he's perfectly suited for it with his Tawana hoax.

JoshM
January 21, 2003, 07:32 PM
Black Americans really don't have a respectable leader, so the media turns to the most vocal black face: the Reverend.

Powell and Rice would be far better leaders, but their "message" is wrong for the media.

Here in Illinois, they have already announced that Carol Moseley Braun (disgraced former Senator) is running for Prez in the primary.

When Moseley Braun was Ambassador to New Zealand, she gave a speech at my University. We were informed before it started that she would not take questions regarding her early political career. The Uni Politics club [Generally left wing, but fair and good hearted bunch] was very disappointed, they had some really interesting questions they wanted to ask her!!

Moseley Braun, another example of Clinton foreign policy at work.:rolleyes:

madmike
January 21, 2003, 08:44 PM
Mosely Braun became an ambassador?

How many times do we have to FLUSH before she goes away?

I personally LOVE the idea of Al, Dick, Joe and the other idiots running for pres. The more incompetent, the better.

SARAH BRADY'S BIRTHDAY IS FEBRUARY 6TH. CELEBRATE BY BUYING A GUN!

Waitone
January 21, 2003, 09:36 PM
It's great. Al Sharpton will dramatically raise the entertainment quotient in the democrat primary.

Something else that's great is his presence will begin the asking of questions that race baiters have historically avoided. John Edwards provides the excuse for Big Media to ask questions of "rich trial lawyers". Sharpton will serves as the excuse for asking questions about the racial industry. Hey, maybe Al will get Jesse J. to be his campaign manager. Then maybe some of the talking heads will ask about Donna Brazile's bigoted, race baiting past.

This could be fun!!!!!

4570Rick
January 21, 2003, 09:59 PM
Statisticly, he has a better chance then snowfall at a July 4th B-B-Q in Dallas. :neener:

longspurr
January 21, 2003, 10:57 PM
I may have to vote in the demoratic primary in 04! I'll vote for big Al, he could be the worst thing the demorats have had happen to them.

If the blacks are saddled with an a** like Sharpton will they come out to vote??

On 2nd thought sure they will, question is how many white liberals will do the same.

I just saw that Hispanics are now the largest minority in the USA. The Hispanics I know have no love for a****** blacks.

Run AL RUN

Skunkabilly
January 21, 2003, 11:10 PM
Hahhaahahahaha!!

HAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

BWHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

The Democrap party deserves him!!! GO AL GO!!!

CWL
January 21, 2003, 11:23 PM
It's a good thing.

It'll serve to further divide the Democratic Party and weaken it overall. Stronger Demo candidates will lose votes because of him.

It'll also help fence-straddlers to step over to the Right when they view this farce of the Democratic Party.

RJ likeguns
January 21, 2003, 11:50 PM
Does anyone remember the Morton Downey Jr show when the rev. Al was on it & a big fight broke out? I remember seeing Al getting knocked out of his chair! :D

Wildalaska
January 22, 2003, 12:42 AM
Whose gonna be his VP..Tawana hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

WildomylordwhatanidiotAlSharptonisAlaska

ZekeLuvs1911
January 22, 2003, 01:10 AM
*gasp* *spitting out soda* HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA He can't be serious!

Zander
January 22, 2003, 03:50 AM
It is my fervent hope that Al "Tawana Brawley" Sharpton will be a major player in the next Democrat presidential primaries. In fact, I can only imagine one scenario which would please me more than that racist fraud running for president...and that would be to include his choice of the Hilldebeast as his running "mate".

Now that would be fun!

But it won't happen...Hilldebeast hates blacks almost as much as she hates Jews.

Detachment Charlie
January 22, 2003, 12:07 PM
This is just too, too good. What great spectator sport! I'm gonna watch this in the same spirit people always slow down and gawk at bloody traffic accidents.
I must be a horrible human being, but this is gonna be too much fun.:evil:

Smoke
January 22, 2003, 01:45 PM
How about Sharpton and Gore. It can be a tag team of the two Al's.

PATH
January 22, 2003, 01:53 PM
In order to be Presidant of the U.S.A. one nedds to be native born, 35 or older, and not be a convicted felon. Sharpton meets the criteria. In person you don't see his stage persona.

His running should make for some interesting acrobatics by the other Democratic hopefuls. I think he would out poll Mosley-Braun
in any case.

He would not be the first person to use a run to extract promises from a party. It is the "American" way. That is simply politics. Power at the convention is what he is seeking in order to shape the Democratic National Platform!

Go Al! Go!:evil: :D :neener:

4v50 Gary
January 22, 2003, 02:12 PM
I'd vote for him if I can help weaken the stronger democratic candidate.

Actually, I'd vote for Colin Powell, but he's too smart to run.

dev_null
January 22, 2003, 02:19 PM
Actually, I'd vote for Colin Powell, but he's too smart to run.
You and a lot of people! :D

-0-

Wildalaska
January 22, 2003, 03:03 PM
O by the way, the man is a rascist idiot, but he does have one thing going for him..he has the cojones to stand up for what he thinks is right (despite the fact he is wrong) and even, if necessary, get prosecuted for it..

Hes just not all talk....and Ill give him credit for that...

rock jock
January 22, 2003, 03:08 PM
I don't think the man has any concept (or cares) about what is right. I think he comes from the same ilk as the Clintons, who are ALL about power. If he is willing to get arrested, it is only to further his political clout. You notice there is ALWAYS a camera available at his parades.

Finch
January 22, 2003, 04:27 PM
No thanks, one liberal "Al" in the white house is enough for my generation. :fire:

jimpeel
January 22, 2003, 06:57 PM
I hope the clown wins so the nation can see what life is like under the rule of a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat who would let this nation founder under the weight of political correctness and apathetical national security.

M1911
January 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
Actually, I think it's great. I hope he does well. Really, I do.

Because he will help drag the winning Democratic nominee to the left, thereby making it harder for the nominee to win the general election.

Go Al :hurl:

M1911

cratz2
January 22, 2003, 08:38 PM
Man, between my horrible day at work, the todler getting shot at Burger King and Al for President, this has been a pretty pitiful excuse for a day. :(

vulcan
January 22, 2003, 08:44 PM
There was a fire that burned out his office today. Hmmmmm

If you enjoyed reading about "Sharpton for Prez" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!