Lee Ermey, Mail Call, and the Ma Deuce...

PDA

Mike Irwin
January 21, 2003, 04:59 PM
OK, I finally saw this segment last night.

One question...

What the heck kind of firing mechanism was Ermey using to fire the Ma Deuce?

Looked like a set of spade handles that allowed the firer to stand while firing from the standard tripod.

First thing I thought was antiaircraft, but how the heck would you sight?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Ermey, Mail Call, and the Ma Deuce..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
January 21, 2003, 05:02 PM
There are two handles onthe back of an M2. You hold one with each hand; there's a trigger button in the middle that you press with your thumb to fire. I believe there's a semiauto and a full auto setting.

The sights feature a rear peep/ladder sight on top of the weapon, as well as a front blade. The sight radius is fairly short, but the sights are above and beyond those on the new Mk. 19 Grenade Launcher, which are altogether crude.

Mike Irwin
January 21, 2003, 05:05 PM
No no no, Night. This was an attachment that apparently connected to the standard spade handles.

I know how the Ma works. I've played with one, never fired one, but played with one.

This device attached to the rear of the gun, and rose to about the level of a person standing at waist level. It looked like a set of handles on some old power lawn mowers.

Ermey was standing and when he was firing the muzzle was elevated QUITE high, maybe close to 45 deg.

Nightcrawler
January 21, 2003, 05:07 PM
OH...I know what you're talking about...seen them, am not sure what they're for. I thinki SARCO was selling them.

Sactown
January 21, 2003, 05:08 PM
Mike,

Checkout this website. They sell them here: http://tnwfirearms.com

They call it the M63 mount. Dunno.

Detritus
January 21, 2003, 05:14 PM
Tracers??

AA fire with the likes of a M2 isn't exactly sniping a truck at 1,000 meaters, it's more a case of get the gun pointed somewhere ahead of the aircraft and hose off a hundred plus rounds, adjusting as you need by where the tracers are. even with teh most sophisticated iron sights you're still gonna be using "kentucky windage" (less it's radar guided but that a whole different ball game)

there maybe a set of sights for the setup seen in Mail call, there may not be, somethings make sense in the way things are done in the military but more things don't

Mike Irwin
January 21, 2003, 05:21 PM
OK, found a website describing the M63 mount....

Pretty interesting, for either standing or sitting use.

M63 Ma Deuce mount (http://www.eme421.com/m63.html)

Viking6
January 22, 2003, 08:27 AM
Nightcrawler,
If memory serves me right there are only single shot and automatic settings on the deuce. In single shot, you have to rack it every time.

Art Eatman
January 22, 2003, 10:27 AM
Detritus, the whole idea of the .30 Browning MG or the Deuce (or an M60) is to put a lot of bullets into an area, not precision aimed fire into a single target.

For aircraft, the idea is to get the tracer-stream out front, and let him fly into the bullets. The sights just give a rough idea of where to start.

My only experience with the .50 was with the quad-mount in an M-16 Halftrack, almost 50 years back. Control was via a double-handled wobble-grip, much like the joystick for a computer game. It controlled the rotation of the turret and the elevation of the guns. Butterfly triggers; everything was electrically powered, and the guns were controlled by solenoids. If they were tuned right, you could get 600 rounds/minute.

The sight was a sort of primitive AimPoint, with concentric rings and crosshairs. It moved horizontally with the turret, and was slaved vertically with the guns.

We were told that in AA fire, you couldn't track an airplane if it were flying across your field of fire at faster than 200 mph. One of those "If you're not early, you're way too late." deals. However, an incoming plane was in deep doo-doo, at the max output of 2,400 rounds/minute.

Real rough on infantry, though.

Art

OF
January 22, 2003, 10:39 AM
put a lot of bullets into an area, not precision aimed fire into a single target.Carlos Hathcock never got the memo, though. :)

- Gabe

Spark
January 22, 2003, 11:22 AM
IIRC, Carlos was using a scoped model with single shots. Not spray and pray.

Mike Irwin
January 22, 2003, 11:23 AM
"The sight was a sort of primitive AimPoint, with concentric rings and crosshairs. It moved horizontally with the turret, and was slaved vertically with the guns."

I'm not certain, but I think it was a variant on the reflector gunsight used in American fighter aircraft during the war.

clem
January 22, 2003, 11:07 PM
The Gunny was firing the M2 on full auto while it was mounted on an anti-aircraft ground mount.

The M2 can fire single or full auto.

El Rojo
January 22, 2003, 11:25 PM
What was Mail Call? Was it an old movie I missed? Is it a new movie I missed? I know Lee Ermy. I must say when I saw him sell out and go homosexual in Saving Silverman, I was rather disappointed. Call me conservative or stereotypical if you want, but sorry, Drill Instructor Hartman should never play as a homosexual, even if it is a completely different movie with a completely different character and/or a completely different plot. Some things should be sacred.

So back to the subject, what is Mail Call?

Mike Irwin
January 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
History Channel, Sunday nights.

He takes questions about military gear, customs, etc.

"saw him sell out and go homosexual in Saving Silverman"

"Drill Instructor Hartman should never play as a homosexual"

Sell out? Let's keep a grip on reality here.

First off, Ermey played a CHARACTER that doesn't exist.

Ermey is NOT Hartman.

Ermey is NOT the character he played in Saving Silverman.

Those were roles played in movies.

Try not to confuse them with reality, and try not to take this conversation on an anti-gay tirade.

Redlg155
January 23, 2003, 12:51 AM
If memory serves me right there are only single shot and automatic settings on the deuce. In single shot, you have to rack it every time.

Pretty close.

On the M2 with the twin handles you have to depress the bolt release and turn a catch that held the bolt release down for full auto fire. This was located between the "butterfly" trigger.

For single shot you just left it alone. After each shot you would have to manually hit the bolt release to chamber the next round. The recoil of the weapon automatically brought the bolt to the rear and locked it there.

When they worked right they were a lot of fun to shoot. If you had one prone to malfunctions you had a heck of a time working that charging handle and heavy bolt/spring.

Ahhh...brings back memories. I remember scrambling from the arms room many a day when a fool took off the rear plate with the bolt completely to the rear. That's one scary spring! :D

Good Shooting
REd

Triad
January 23, 2003, 01:33 AM
Anybody else notice he actually used some ear protection for that show? I saw him pull out his plugs. From what I've seen I don't think he normally uses any kind of protection.

Airwolf
January 23, 2003, 01:49 AM
El Rojo,

http://rleeermey.com/
R. Lee's site - DON'T SKIP THE INTRO! :D

http://www.historychannel.com/mailcall/
Mail Call home page

http://www.historychannel.com/mailcall/mailcall_vp/mailcall_vp.html
History Channel commerical for Mail Call - a MUST SEE :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Ermey, Mail Call, and the Ma Deuce..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!