What is it

PDA

jcowan
April 17, 2010, 09:28 AM
There is a great looking black powder gun on the cover of the NRA store spring catalog. I have trouble distinguishing an 1860 from an 1861 when I can't see the bore, is there another way to tell them apart? The cylinder is strange, I am guessing a conversion. The grips are beautiful. I am new at this game but I think it is an 1860 conversion with ivory grips. I am hoping to score at least a 1 out of 3 on this question. Also, what is at the top of the cylinder forward of the hammer? I will be ordering the t-shirt that is under it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hellgate
April 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
Only know the answer to the first question: the 1860 has a rebated cylinder whereas the Navy has a straight cylinder. The 44 Army has the back 1/4 of the cylinder a smaller diameter than the front 3/4. The Navy 36cal has a cylinder that is the same thickness for itsfull length.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!