SBR build F1 question.

PDA

bkjeffrey
April 18, 2010, 09:48 PM
I plan to designate a AR15 lower reciever for an SBR build. From what I understand you cant put multi-caliber in block 4C. I think I can list all specific calibers though right? EX: 5.56;7.62x39;7.62x25;22LR etc. if I planned on having sub 16" uppers in those calibers.

Also, block 4E & F, bbl length and overall length. What if I had a 10.5" upper and a 7" upper with a 6 position adjustable stock? What would you think goes there?

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR build F1 question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
April 18, 2010, 10:06 PM
Up until a few years ago they would approve "various" or something like that for both length and caliber. Also they would approve "less than 16 inches" for length.

They have begun rejecting those, so put every possible caliber you might want, and every possible length you might want.

Now, that said, some will argue that it doesn't matter because the tax stamp itself allows you to break the rules at will.

Some will argue that all you need to do is send in an amendment to the ATF if you want to change something.

Seems safer to me to simply cover those bases ahead of time on the Form 1.

Just be aware there are varying opinions on how best to deal with this.

And, for the adjustable stock, the ATF has taken the position that overall length is measure with the stock fully extended only, so you don't have to worry about the intermediate lengths you get by moving the stock around, just use the stock fully extended length.

bkjeffrey
April 18, 2010, 10:27 PM
And, for the adjustable stock, the ATF has taken the position that overall length is measure with the stock fully extended only, so you don't have to worry about the intermediate lengths you get by moving the stock around, just use the stock fully extended length.

That is an absolutely perfect answer. Thank you for reading the entire post and responding accordingly. Where did you find this information at regarding to stock length?

jmorris
April 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think I can list all specific calibers though right? EX: 5.56;7.62x39;7.62x25;22LR

don't use the ...x(whatever) it is caliber not specific round.

bkjeffrey
April 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
it is caliber not specific round

Ahhhh, makes sense.

So chances are I could list multiple calibers and it would get approved? Has anyone had a Form 1 not approved due to having various different calibers listed? Or is this the common practice that is working with the examiners?

TexasRifleman
April 18, 2010, 11:51 PM
Where did you find this information at regarding to stock length?

It comes from 2 places. The actual law says:

Title 27 CFR Chapter 2 Part 479 Subpart B 479.11

The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

And ATF confirms that "extreme ends" means with the stock all the way extended:

On a folding stock weapon you measure with
the stock extended, provided the stock is not readily detachable, and the weapon is meant to be fired from the shoulder.

Google around for pdf's of letters from tech branch confirming it if you want, but it's well settled and hasn't really come up for debate in many years now.

bkjeffrey
April 19, 2010, 12:01 AM
Cool, thanks again. Thats good inifo and I thank you for digging it up for me.

jmorris
April 19, 2010, 10:44 AM
Has anyone had a Form 1 not approved due to having various different calibers listed?

I think you understand but just to be clear they don't allow "various" or "multi" any longer (my last one got kicked back) I had to list the other calibers in the "additional information" box, I then had the approved one back within a week.

bkjeffrey
April 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
OK, so I cant put "multi" or "various" or anything like that. But its ok to list multiple specific calibers.

And the length is the overall extended length.
Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR build F1 question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!