'70s (?) 1851 Navy from Lyman

PDA

Old Cannonballs
April 20, 2010, 02:50 PM
I recently acquired a reproduction of a Colt '51 Navy imported by Lyman. It shoots great, but I don't know who made it or where to get spare parts for it. I'm also contacting Lyman, but I thought I'd see what any of the esteemed members of this forum might know about this gun. There is a symbol that looks like DGG in a circle stamped below the loading lever:

Here is the rest of the revolver:

The serial number is 210XX (I added the XX in place of the last 2 digits), which should help date it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "'70s (?) 1851 Navy from Lyman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
twaits
April 20, 2010, 03:44 PM
Boy that looks like a pretty nice copy. Looks like the backstrap and triggerguard are silver plated. Beautiful.

mykeal
April 20, 2010, 06:26 PM
The DGG mark is the manufacturer's logo for Armi San Paolo, now Euroarms of Italy. The letters stand for the 3 founders, Doninelli, Grassi and Gazzola. Lyman imported guns made by several different Italian replica manufacturers over the years.

Serial numbers are of no use in dating Italian replicas. You should find a date code stamped on the frame or barrel assembly that consists of two or three letters, or possibly two letters and a number. The decoding ring is:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/DateCodes.jpg

Old Cannonballs
April 20, 2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you twaits for the compliment (it is a beauty, isn't it... it was gift from someone on this very forum!!), and thank you mikeal for the information. The pistol has PN on it, which I don't see on the Capt. Midnight decoder ring; I'll look for other initials.

Tommygunn
April 20, 2010, 11:40 PM
The PN may be a sign it's been "proofed." The datecodes are in a rectangular box.

rusty from italy
April 21, 2010, 08:02 AM
PN is for "polvere nera" Black powder in Italian, means that is usable only with black powder.
When you find PSF (polvere senza fumo) smokeless powder in Italian, means that you can load also smokeless round.
ciao
Rusty

Tommygunn
April 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
;) Thanks Rusty!

Old Cannonballs
April 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
Grazie tanto Rusty d'Italia

BHP FAN
April 23, 2010, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the addiction...

Old Cannonballs
April 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
As long as I don't end up mugging little old ladies to feed my habit...

Old Cannonballs
May 18, 2010, 02:44 AM
It's stamped XX9, meaning it was made in 1973. Looks good for its age.

MCgunner
May 18, 2010, 07:59 AM
That navy ain't pretty, it's drop dead gorgeous!:what:

BHP FAN
May 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
nice grips...I like the square back gripframe, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "'70s (?) 1851 Navy from Lyman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!