Oh... oh, wow!

PDA

Tamara
November 26, 2003, 04:55 PM
So, as I shamefully admitted in a recent thread in GenDisc, I don't actually... you know, reload yet. I do, however, have a metric buttload of borrowed reloading stuff here in my apartment, and I've saved a ton of brass over the years. Last night I re-found my big ol' brass box. This sort of inspired me. About four minutes ago, I got even more inspired when I saw an object in a red box labelled "Lyman Ideal 310 Tool, complete with dies" for .44 magnum. I pulled out the pliers-shaped gizmo, and noticed one die with a long pokey-looking thing that looked as though it might knock a spent primer out of a case. Feeling a rising sense of discovery, I dashed off to my brass box and brought back a freezer bag full of spent .44 Mag shells. Threading the likely-looking die into the pliers and then sticking a shell in...

[Tom Hanks voice from Castaway]I have made fire![Tom Hanks voice from Castaway]

...or at least I'm well on my inquisitive way to doing so. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh... oh, wow!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
November 26, 2003, 05:02 PM
*snicker*

Here it comes ... now some of Tamara's more esoteric guns will actually get fired.

"You mean I can reload this ammo for less than $40 per box?"

Quantrill
November 26, 2003, 05:21 PM
Tamara,
I hope you lubed it first. Those little 310 Tong dies do not come in carbide (which is what you use for straight wall cases without lubing them). They only come in steel and must be lubed before inserting into the 310 dies. If you don't have case lubricant and you really want to play, I have been told that STP will do. Quantrill

Peter M. Eick
November 26, 2003, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the world of reloading! This is where science meets the art of shooting. I find the reloading part of the hobby almost as much fun as the shooting part. There is such satisfaction in finding the right load to fit to your gun and your shooting style.

Ask questions, read a lot and keep careful notes. I wish I had kept better notes 25 years ago when I started reloading. SIGH!!!!!!!!

Edward429451
November 26, 2003, 07:02 PM
Bwahahaha! the reloading bug is alive and well. Don't scratch, you'll only make it worse...:D

Got Primers?

:D

BenW
November 26, 2003, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. Now the big question is, how long will it take you to go from the "survivalist" 310 tool to a Dillon 650 with auto casefeeder, redundant digital scales, digital powder charge, 5000 round tumbler, ad nauseum... so you can be a reloading dork like the rest of us? :D

---and I write this 15 minutes before I retire to my dedicated reloading room to crank out a few hundred 45s... :)

Peter M. Eick
November 26, 2003, 07:22 PM
One other comment. The real beauty of reloading is like today. I blasted about 900 rnds of 357 mag with between 12 and 14 grns of 2400 and 158 grn Lasercast SWC's. I also blasted about 700 rnds of 38 special with about 4 to 4.5 odd grns of Univ clays and a 158 grn lasercast SWC. In round numbers I probably spent about $100 on ammo because I went for name brand bullets. Had I shot locally cast stuff it would be about half of that.

When you reload you just shoot, it is fun, and the reloading is very relaxing and enjoyable. I hate to say it but I am quite excited about reloading my cases and looking at the nearly 3000 9mm cases all preped and ready. I see some power pistol and 115 grn Rem JHP's reloads by Sunday!

Enjoy the whole new aspect of the sport.

Edward429451
November 26, 2003, 07:25 PM
Allright, its Santa Claus time and she's a legend on the board. I'll send her a set of dies if someone sends her a press.

Who's got a spare scale? Anyone? Anyone?

The reloading care package.

Kamicosmos
November 26, 2003, 07:27 PM
I'm kinda surprised you weren't into reloading before. Since you like the role-playing stuff...it's kinda like that. Lots of numbers to crunch to find that magic Min/Maxed load... :D

MaterDei
November 26, 2003, 07:44 PM
I think I'm gonna cry.

Dave R
November 26, 2003, 08:09 PM
I have mande FIRE

That feeling is gonna come back stronger when you touch off the first round you made yourself.

And stronger still when you get a tight group around the X ring.

And again when you touch one off in that .577.

It will really enlarge your enjoyment of shooting.

P95Carry
November 26, 2003, 08:15 PM
Tam's ...... my pre-existing respect and admiration for you has become ......... well ................ WORSHIP!!:p

It's gonna take a night's sleep to get over this enormous high I am on because of this .... just wish I had your load of brass .. :eek:

Continuous updates and progress reports are now ... mandatory. Your board status dictates it!

Old Fuff
November 26, 2003, 11:03 PM
Now all is lost. Tamara has crossed over the line. Who knows, next it may be .32 S&W Long wadcutters. So many cartridges .... So little time ......

Mike Irwin
November 26, 2003, 11:13 PM
"a metric buttload..."

I think the brothers call that "Junk in the Trunk..."

yesterdaysyouth
November 26, 2003, 11:29 PM
50 bux says mike wouldn't say that to any woman FTF.....

i hope...:D

Standing Wolf
November 26, 2003, 11:29 PM
I told you she'd grow up and become a real shooter sooner or later, didn't I?

Cal4D4
November 26, 2003, 11:36 PM
Tong tool resizing of .44 brass is done to the tune "We must...We must...We must increase our .....

sm
November 27, 2003, 12:22 AM
First, Anybody told her about shotshell reloading yet...? I was reminded by a friends wife I get to help take some 30K hulls from the old house to the new house being built. Oh- house will have 2 reloading rooms.:cool: [though at this point I'm not sure if his wife wants me to actually visit, but just move stuff, she still gives me a funny look :p ]

Second, I admit, I have cheated on metallic reloading. I did the shotshells in 4 gauges and my buddy did the metallic...so...looks like time I did more metallic. I can state right off, a 200 gr SWC is a whole bunch easier to pick up when dropped that 1 1/8 oz of #8 hard shot that gets "dropped"...I learnt quick - huh ? :p

Black Snowman
November 27, 2003, 09:28 AM
Borrowing someone elses advice on this board I tried using Pam as a case lube and it works suprisingly well. It's just canola oil so if you have that and a spray bottle you can spray lube even cheaper. It is a little messy so be sure you have a backstop for the over-spray and some paper towels to clean up the brass after resizing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Rolling your own" :D

Mike Irwin
November 27, 2003, 01:37 PM
"50 bux says mike wouldn't say that to any woman FTF....."

You can send me the $50 now. You lose.

And I had the palm print across my face to prove it. But I got the stupid, stupid, annoying cow of a coworker out of my face, and she didn't bug me again.

Mean, hateful, spiteful thing to do at a "happy hour" but she was a mean, hateful, spiteful woman who fully deserved it.

Ryder
November 29, 2003, 03:16 AM
Time to get your hands dirty, eh? Neato :)

You pop off that first round yet? That's when the real fun begins. ;)

Tamara
November 29, 2003, 08:41 AM
Heck, now I have to figure out what all these other dies are for. :uhoh:

pax
November 29, 2003, 09:11 AM
Dangit, Tamara, does this mean I have to give him his $5 back?

pax

Jake 98c/11b
November 29, 2003, 11:44 AM
I think I have you beat Tamara, I have a Dillon 550, an RCBS rock crusher, two midway case cleaners, several scales, over 25 pounds of assorted powders, tens of thousands of brass cases (hell, over 13,000 .223 alone), bullets by the hundredweight, lead by the metric ton, a case prep station, cases of primers, several manuals, dies in at least a dozen varietys and I have yet to use any of it.

Sad I know, time is tight but the price was right.

Dave R
November 29, 2003, 11:50 AM
Tamara, you didn't mention a reloading manual...

That will tell you what all those other dies are for.

Sven
November 29, 2003, 02:01 PM
I'm at the point now where I'm looking for things in 44 mag because my buddy loads 44 mag... not kidding.

Tamara
December 25, 2003, 11:50 PM
Having gotten bored with depriming cases, I decided tonight to screw what seemed to be the next logical die into the holder; the "muzzle resizer" die.

*SQUEEEEEZE*

Ugh! Grunt! I think the case is stuck!

*spoing!*

A little half-moon of brass came flying off the rim... :uhoh:

Give the die a fraction of a turn and...

*spoink!*

...out pops the (mangled) cartridge case.

This must not be right. There must be a way to keep this from happening... I ran inside and soaked a paper towel in Wesson oil and rubbed it on the outside of a case.

*Scrunk... spop!*

Cool! That was easy! :cool:

Still, maybe I'm not doing this right. After we finish setting up for the show tomorrow, maybe I'll ask ol' Charlie for some pointers. :uhoh:

Mike Irwin
December 25, 2003, 11:57 PM
"Wesson oil..."

My God you are such a girl! :neener:

Back in the kitchen where you belong and roll us some .30-06s! :evil:

Delmar
December 26, 2003, 12:28 AM
Mike-what an interesting place to wear a spatula:what:

cordex
December 26, 2003, 12:34 AM
*laugh*
Wesson oil? Well ... if it works.

I've used ATF fluid in a pinch. Works nicely.

sm
December 26, 2003, 12:47 AM
I've used Olive Oil, and I'm a guy. Of course I've used flour as a "grex buffer" in shotshells too.
"Honey which coffee can is coffee?" , poor girl grabbed the Folgers and tried to scoop 230 FMJ bullets one morning..."The other pantry..." I replied...

Dave R
December 26, 2003, 01:30 AM
Tamara, you need to read the manual. If you don't have a reloading manual, you need to get one or two.

Before you resize cases, they should be lubed.

Wesson oil is not recommended by any manual I have read, but apparently works fine!

Mangled cases--could be the die is adjusted wrong? More likely it was just friction on the un-lubed case...

Tamara
December 26, 2003, 02:03 AM
"Mangled" is slang; "had a half-moon of brass torn off the rim" would be the technical term, I believe. :uhoh:

BenW
December 26, 2003, 12:35 PM
All this talk of alternative lubricants. Who knew reloading had a kinky side?

Tamara
December 26, 2003, 11:01 PM
Hey! Cool! Found a case lube pad in that big box in the corner!

Let's try a couple more...

Whoops! Crushed one... :uhoh:

Wonder how this "priming chamber" works. :confused:

Nope... doesn't go in that way... wait... eureka! Way cool!

Let's prime these cases now! :)

sm
December 26, 2003, 11:11 PM
Tamara, you have a gift with words and pics...Gee... anyone else thinking captioned thumbs would be great?

For educational purposes only of course...others are learning too...don't think she is gonna buy that... ;)

December 27, 2003, 01:27 AM
Good for you.
I am always amazed at the people who are seriously into guns that don't handload. It is beyond my pea sized brain to imagine.
I read a comment by Skeeter Skelton back around the time I was in the 7th grade. He said something to the effect that before you spend the money for another gun, you need to spend the money for handloading equipment. I listened. I got into handloading within months of buying my first two centerfire handguns. Since then (20+ years ago) I have purchased very little factory ammo (other than .223). Terms such as "box of ammo" have almost no meaning to me.

Mike Irwin
December 27, 2003, 01:51 AM
Will someone please send her a copy of Dean Grennel's "ABCs of Reloading" BEFORE she resorts to ground beef, chili powder, and kidney beans?

(Robert Mitchum voice over...)

BEEF! It's what's for handloading!

Ryder
December 27, 2003, 05:22 AM
half-moon of brass torn off the rim

Yeaowzer, you're a strong girl.

Hope you're wearing those safety glasses. They aren't just for shootin' anymore.

P95Carry
December 27, 2003, 10:27 AM
Will someone please send her a copy of Dean Grennel's "ABCs of Reloading" Mine is the 1980 2nd Edition .... and to be honest, I had assumed that was probably outa print. It is one of the many useful DBI books I got in earlier years of reloading.

Mike Irwin
December 28, 2003, 09:41 AM
Too late.

She's made Hot Tamale Surprise.

The surprise is that when you bite into the tamale it blows your head CLEAN OFF!

SodaPop
December 28, 2003, 11:24 PM
I thought I was in the wrong forum or something:what: :)

WhoKnowsWho
December 29, 2003, 01:08 AM
I hate to say it, but this sounds like putting a monkey in a room full of reloading stuff! :D (Sorry Tamara!)

Mike Irwin
December 29, 2003, 01:49 AM
1,000 monkeys laboring at 1,000 presses for 1,000 years?

You'll stand a good chance of getting some interesting topics for the Handloading and Reloading forum... :)

Mal H
December 29, 2003, 10:00 AM
No need to go to the expense of that elaborate experiment, Clark's been working with those types of loads for years.

(Sorry Clark, I couldn't resist that one.) :D

Mike Irwin
December 29, 2003, 12:58 PM
"Clark's been working with those types of loads for years."

Neck down one stick of dynamite...

Dave R
December 29, 2003, 02:27 PM
There may be something to this whole reloading/kitchen thing.

My tumbler is an ice-cream maker.

My media seperator is a colander.

My reloading bench is often the kitchen table. (I just c-clamp the press where needed.)

Hope I don't wind up "seasoning" my eggs with H-335 someday...

Ivanimal
December 29, 2003, 04:14 PM
Tammara welcome to reloading, I have made a lot of pilgrimages to used book stores in search of the holy grails of reloading. In these stores I usually find any number of older reloading manuals or reload starter books. To go about this business blindly is like handing a monkey a match and a stick of dynamite. sooner or later ther will be a bang. Pick up a book and start right, we all have fun reloading but one mistake and its regrets forever. Good luck.

labgrade
January 2, 2004, 11:10 PM
As w/444, I got into reloading upon getting my first centerfire anything. & other than a few buys of 9mm/.223, I bet I haven't bought 200 factory rounds in 45 yrs of shooting.

Tam,

Welcome, fair lass & hope you got some decent advise w/your friend. Even better when they walk you through it rather than just tell you.

310 History (http://www3.telus.net/310outpost/history.htm) may give you some background & The 310 Outpost (http://www3.telus.net/310outpost/) seems to have some other stuff - hope any of it's helpful.

As wonderful as Crisco may be, with older brass, I'd avail myself of what seems to do best & that's a decent grade resizing lube & a roller pad. Light on the 30Weight 'cause you'll risk dents.

May want to play some first with newer & more available breass to get the hang of it all rather than risk eating up (possibly) irreplaceable older stuff. Just a thought.

Dave R
January 5, 2004, 11:26 PM
So....has Tamara put any powder in cases yet? Seated any bullets? touched off any home-made rounds? With the cases primed, all the hard work is done...

JPM70535
January 5, 2004, 11:58 PM
Tamara

congradulations, you have joined a fraternity (Sororiety?) froim which there is no escape. Once you pop the cap on your first hand made round and watch as it punches a hole in the X ring, and calculate how little it cost compared to the purchase of factory. you will start down that slippery slope where if if you see a new gadget pertaining to reloading, you will be unable to resist. Soon your bench will look like all of ours and the time you spend there will increase in direct relation to their number. you won't be able to load for one or two calibers, instead you will find yourself in possession of die sets and shellholders for every imaginable caliber. You will soon rather reload than eat, and that's a good thing for there will be no money for food.

Rejoice, there is hope for recovery through RELOADERS ANONYMOUS. It may take the rest of your natural life to recover, but I have been told it is possible. for myself I take it one day at a time

ps Been in therapy for 30 years and have been assured I am making progress. Woops, gotta go, I smell Bluedot

BenW
January 6, 2004, 10:47 AM
So....has Tamara put any powder in cases yet?
Maybe with the whole "kitchen component" reloading thing Tamara has going, she's experimenting with powder substitutes. Add one teaspoon baking soda, one teaspoon vinegar. Seat bullet quickly..... :p

bogie
January 6, 2004, 12:31 PM
Tamara, before you go any further, you really NEED to at least skim through a manual. And wear ()*^()*^ safety glasses.

Next time you see Oleg, ask him if he's used any of the handloading stuff I gave him. If not, swipe... er... borrow it from him. There's a good scale, a small press, etc.

mwithers72
January 6, 2004, 01:09 PM
Add one teaspoon baking soda, one teaspoon vinegar. Seat bullet quickly

:D then what to do with it !!!!!! :D you could never get one done !!!:what:

Steve Smith
January 6, 2004, 01:29 PM
Umm, guys, she hasn't been here since before Christmas.

Strike that...day after Christmas.

Dave R
January 6, 2004, 04:29 PM
I'm kinda hoping that's because she's been at the range shooting all that ammo she reloaded...

tex_n_cal
January 9, 2004, 11:41 PM
Tams...

buy a copy of Pet Loads by Ken Waters, the bible.

Hornady's book isn't too bad.

To keep autoloaders from swallowing bullets(kB!) and revolvers from upchucking theirs (jam) make sure the expander die is at least .005" smaller than the bullet diameter.

Suscribe to Handloader magazine.

Now you're done.:)

JShirley
January 13, 2004, 09:21 PM
So, there we where around the campfire. It's pretty darn cold out, but there's a nice fire going, and Tamara has been faithfully depriming. It seems one brand of brass she had wasn't depriming too well. She asks me if I want to work some.

I deprimed a few, having poor luck on the brand she had warned of, and using a "little extra force" on the brand in question. And, uh, I broke her thingy. :what:

I was crestfallen for some minutes, but she said the depriming die could be replaced.

Forgive me, y'all.

John

Oracle
January 14, 2004, 09:08 AM
I always had problems depriming with the tong tools, but, fortunately, if you just broke the pin, you can get a bunch of new pins from Lyman for very cheap (I think it was under a dollar the last time I bought them). Just call them up and they'll send some to you.

At this point, you should know that reloading with a mounted press is sooo much easier than using the tong tools. Plus, a basic Lee reloading setup is only about $85.00.

JShirley
January 14, 2004, 11:46 AM
But can you do it around the campfire? :D

Oracle
January 14, 2004, 02:39 PM
If you mount it to the bumper of your truck you can :D

BenW
January 14, 2004, 03:14 PM
Bumper shmumper -- you guys are a bunch of amateurs. Flatbed truck to mount the reloading bench on, with a mounted generator to run the casefeeder, tumbler, and digital scales and such. Back truck up to campfire and go to town.

Beep... beep... beep.

:neener:

cordex
January 14, 2004, 03:56 PM
Depriming/resizing around the campfire: Fun.
Priming around the campfire: Fun. Even more fun when your buddy doesn't see you toss a primer into the fire.
Measuring powder around the campfire: ...

Tamara
January 30, 2004, 08:50 PM
...he-man JShirley, unaware of his own strength, had just busted the decapper pin on my little 310 Tool by a campfire in GA.

Back home in TN, I pondered long and hard... What to do?

I went digging around on the shelf among the die boxes, curious as to what might be there. Hmmm... A complete Lee press with dies and dipper for .357... That's pretty cool... Wait, this isn't shaped like the other die boxes; I wonder what a "Lee Loader" for .38 is?

Cool! Just a couple of pins, a die-looking thingy, and all I need to find is a hammer! I grab some powder, a handful of spent cases, some primers, a box of 148gr HBWC's, and the Lee Loader and head for the concrete steps out front.

The first bullet winds up seated too deeply. Following safe cartridge disposal procedures, I chuck it into the bushes. The next one turns out fine. (The .5 dipper of Green Dot and Winchester small pistol primers, in case anyone's wondering) Seating the primer on the third one results in a *BANG!* (at 0200 hrs... :uhoh: ), a seating rod launched six inches into the air, and black tats on two fingers and a thumb. The fourth cartridge turns out fine. It being freezing, and 0230 to boot, I went back in. Two days later, I launched them from my 627, and both went off fine and shot where I pointed....

COOL!

I just got a Lee Turret Press in at work, pre-loaded with .38 Spl dies, and have both a full set of dippers and an Auto-Disk powder measure on order (we'll see which one works out better.)

Just think how much money I'll save if I spend all this money! :D

tex_n_cal
January 30, 2004, 10:12 PM
Hmmm...

Seating the primer on the third one results in a *BANG!* (at 0200 hrs... ), a seating rod launched six inches into the air, and black tats on two fingers and a thumb. The fourth cartridge turns out fine.

Ummm...very good. That's something I haven't managed to do in 25 years of handloading. :evil:

You are wearing eye protection, I trust?:D

Tamara
January 30, 2004, 10:27 PM
Ummm...very good. That's something I haven't managed to do in 25 years of handloading. :evil:

Yes, but were you using an Estwing to seat them in a Lee Loader? ;)

(Note To Self: Gentle taps when using Lee Loader. Also make sure primer seating pocket is lined up perfectly. :uhoh: )

Mike Irwin
January 30, 2004, 10:43 PM
You know, I am REALLY thinking that everyone should toss in a buck and get Tamara a Lee starter kit...

Tamara
January 30, 2004, 11:03 PM
You know, I am REALLY thinking that everyone should toss in a buck and get Tamara a Lee starter kit...

I just got one yesterday, Mike. :)

I'll be bringing it home and setting it up tomorrow. :cool:

Intune
January 30, 2004, 11:12 PM
Oh, oh. The hills of TN thought they had seen a lot of lead flyin' during their storied past. They ain't seen nothing yet! GO TAMS! Reloading has a Zen of its own, you'll see.

ThreadKiller
January 30, 2004, 11:12 PM
Ditto's on the Handloader subscription. Their (Wolfe's) Rifle mag is a good one too.

Tim

vulcan
January 30, 2004, 11:17 PM
Hehehe

The first time a primer went off in my lee loader, I had to check my undies:what:

It was quite loud in a closet....

Intune
January 30, 2004, 11:25 PM
Sooo many possible retorts..! Not gonna touch it. Willpower.

Mal H
January 30, 2004, 11:31 PM
I got so used to it, I wasn't even flinching after about 20 of them. :)

Yes, but were you using an Estwing to seat them in a Lee Loader?:what:
You're supposed to use a fairly light hammer, Lee recommended a wooden, plastic or hard leather hammer.

tex_n_cal
January 31, 2004, 12:01 AM
ummm...ummm....

Yes, but were you using an Estwing to seat them in a Lee Loader?

Claw hammers & primers generally don't mix. At least not until they are loaded in the cartridge, in the gun's chamber.:D

Thinking back, I do still have a Hornady Projector press. I recall a few cases of it neatly installing primers upside down, and sideways. Slightly nerve wracking to decap them:what:

Tamara
January 31, 2004, 08:45 AM
You're supposed to use a fairly light hammer, Lee recommended a wooden, plastic or hard leather hammer.

Well, you know, I knew that, but I was just absolutely jonesing to load a cartridge (I have the bug pretty bad) and so I figured I'd just use the Estwing and be real, real gentle.

I promise I won't do it again. :o

BenW
January 31, 2004, 10:15 AM
Ya know, if somebody put Tamara in a red wig and filmed her reloading escapades in black & white, I bet you could pass them off as a long lost "I Love Lucy" episode.

Luuuuucyyy, I'm home!

:D :p :D

Running and ducking......

ThreadKiller
January 31, 2004, 10:38 AM
There's nothing more satisfying than using your own handrolled ammo to accomplish a given task.

I load my traploads on a hydraulic MEC progressive. No better therapy for the "bad day at work" blues. :)

I love bringing home a new rifle in a new to me caliber and assembling the requisite tools to load for it. My latest effort has been the venerable .22 Hornet in an old Winchester Model 70. 13 grs of Lil' Gun and the wonderful little Hornady 35 gr Vmax makes the 70 sing a sweet song indeed. (Although prairie dogs aren't fond of it!) A little RCBS Jr press is all I need for the rifle.

However, a Dillon SDB is on the way for the 40.

Mike Irwin
January 31, 2004, 02:41 PM
That's good to hear, Tams.

Now remember, Wesson oil isn't the preferred choice for lubing your dies.

However, and I'm not joking about this...

I wonder how using something like Pam would work? It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the spray on case lubes I've seen...

Now you've got me doing it, Tams.

Mike Irwin
January 31, 2004, 02:43 PM
Oh, Tams?

If you use the Estwing again?

Don't use the head of the hammer to do your tapping.

Grab the hammer by the head and use the handle to do your tapping. You'll be much happier with the results.

JackM
January 31, 2004, 09:07 PM
Hi, Tamara:
The Feds won't let us get Hornady One-Shot spray case lube into Canada anymore, so we've been trying lots of lubes, commercial and home brewed. Please DON'T use Pam. You will not be a happy reloader. Stuck cases do that. You may even regress to store bought ammo. If you want to play with household stuff for a case lube, use Smiling Mink Leather Water Proofing. Just get a tiny amount on a finger and roll it onto the case. Works.

But you live in the USA, so get some Hornady One-Shot and life will be good.

Bye
Jack

BenW
January 31, 2004, 09:59 PM
The Feds won't let us get Hornady One-Shot spray case lube into Canada anymore
Not to hijack the thread, but what's up with that? I just ordered some from Cabela's and saw they had One Shot and "non-hazardous" One Shot. Pessimist that I am, I generally just assume the "non-hazardous" stuff will end up being inferior, just like every other non-hazardous replacement for stuff I use that used to work good when it was hazardous. But does anyone have the lowdown on this? It's a new one on me.

JackM
January 31, 2004, 10:13 PM
It was something about it being an aerosol, but I never heard the details. There were a lot of annoyed reloaders and dealers.

There also the little detail that the solvent in it would dissolve an RCBS loading block, pronto. That may have been the problem. It wasn't because it was gun-related.

Bye
JacK

Tamara
January 31, 2004, 10:52 PM
Pessimist that I am, I generally just assume the "non-hazardous" stuff will end up being inferior, just like every other non-hazardous replacement for stuff I use that used to work good when it was hazardous.

There's a sigline in there, someplace... :uhoh:

BenW
February 1, 2004, 11:53 AM
There's a sigline in there, someplace...
I'm actually saving all my cynical remarks up so I can write one of those "Curmudgeon's Compendium" type books when I retire. :)

Brian Williams
February 1, 2004, 03:26 PM
For depriming, resizing and expansion for almost all my handgun ammo is done on a http://www.shooterscatalog.com/Ellett_Pictures/HuntingImages/0810240.jpg

BryanP
February 1, 2004, 07:39 PM
Someone wondered if The ABC's of Reloading was out of print?

That would appear to not be the case. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C50EF/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl200/102-2628650-5289709?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846)

Dave R
February 1, 2004, 07:53 PM
but I was just absolutely jonesing to load a cartridge (I have the bug pretty bad)

I felt the same way after shooting my first reloads. Just wait, Tamara, it gets even better. When you first shoot a group that is significantly smaller than you have ever shot before....

It really amplifies all the fun of shooting.

P95Carry
February 1, 2004, 07:57 PM
Here's the cover of my ancient 1980 edition .. many stains and signs of wear and tear. A great source of reference in earlier days of reloading. be nice to think it is still available.

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot2/abcs_02_s.jpg

kernal_panic
February 1, 2004, 08:01 PM
i just came in from loading some .357 mags. 1st time doing a magnum load. i have done thousands of .38 specs but never a full bore magnum load. i used 12.5 grains of AA #9 and a lyman 358156 water quenched ww with a thick coating of lee liquid alox. cost:

4 cents a shot! thats 50 rounds for $2.00!!!!!!

i just loaded full power .357 mag for a bit more than .22 lr.

Tamara:

That lee turret press is convertable to a Lee Pro-1000. if you have the auto disk measure all you need is a complete lower shell carrier and primer feed + the indexing shaft.

upgraded to a pro 1k you can crank out 250-350 rounds an hour on it.

BryanP
February 3, 2004, 05:53 AM
P95Carry Said:

Here's the cover of my ancient 1980 edition .. many stains and signs of wear and tear. A great source of reference in earlier days of reloading. be nice to think it is still available.

It is still available. Look 2 messages prior to yours.

P95Carry
February 3, 2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah thx Bryan ... did see that ... just showed the old cover for nostalgia!!:)

mtnbkr
February 3, 2004, 12:55 PM
Perfessr,

That's how I hooked my dad into reloading. He kept claiming he didn't have time for it, nor the space for the equipment. I got him the Lee hand press for his B-day and told him he could do all but charge the cases and seat the bullets while watching TV.

Less than a year later, he had a Lee Turret set up in the basement and loads for 357mag, 38special, and 45Colt. :D

Chris

February 3, 2004, 01:14 PM
It's amazing that we don't have any time, but there is always time for the TV.

mtnbkr
February 3, 2004, 01:27 PM
It's amazing that we don't have any time, but there is always time for the TV

:rolleyes:

He never said he didn't have time, just that he didn't have the free time to pick up reloading. Once he found out how enjoyable it was, he made time for it.

Chris

February 3, 2004, 08:18 PM
Right. I was just kind of thinking about loud. If I did something productive with the time I spend on the internet, I should be a genius, speak six languages, play four or five instruments and be in the peak of physical condition, but instead I sit a read the internet.

It wasn't intended to be any kind of slam against your dad. It just seems that most people have more time than they think if the thing demanding time is enjoyable or something that supports another enjoyable activity.

grendelbane
February 3, 2004, 08:55 PM
For those of you looking for a good case lube, I heartily recommend tincture of green soap for light duty resizing. This is all I use on 357 SIG cases.

Nice and clean, and non-toxic, except for that alcohol part. Oh! Some people actually drink alcohol, so I don't think a little bit on the fingers now and then is going to hurt.:)

PDshooter
February 4, 2004, 12:13 AM
Tamara!

What you NEED is a full time "Live-in" to show you all the rope's in reloading:evil:

Glamdring
March 31, 2004, 08:19 AM
Any updates? Have you started loading for your oddballs yet?

Gewehr98
March 31, 2004, 09:03 PM
Nobody's mentioned Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Good stuff, Maynard!

http://www.larrywillis.com/imperial.jpg

pbhome71
April 1, 2004, 01:52 PM
I second G98's comment about the Imperial Wax.
I used many things, but.. the Imperial Wax is IT... I am surprise also that no one has mentioned this either.

-Pat

mtnbkr
December 19, 2005, 01:36 PM
It's been two years, how's the reloading going Tamara?

Chris

BigSlick
December 19, 2005, 04:51 PM
a Dillon 650 with auto casefeeder, redundant digital scales, digital powder charge, 5000 round tumbler, ad nauseum... so you can be a reloading dork like the rest of us?

That hit a little too close to home :D

The only down side to reloading is some people (OK ...ME) have a tendency to become a little bit cynical. I walk the aisles at the local gun store and see box after box of $20+ ammo and know full well I can load better ammo for less.

It absolutely puts me in a dark mood to buy factory ammo. It feels like someone is stealing from me. I have learned to deal with it a little better over the years, but it still ain't a cakewalk.

One (among MANY) upsides to reloading, is now, you can buy almost any gun you wish without fear of feeding it. I shoot a 500SW, which can be like a second mortgage if using factory ammo. I shoot it regularly, with a myriad of loads for MUCH less than $10 for a box of 50.

Welcome to the mix ;)

BigSlick

Berek
December 19, 2005, 07:45 PM
I pulled out the pliers-shaped gizmo, and noticed one die with a long pokey-looking thing that looked as though it might knock a spent primer out of a case. Feeling a rising sense of discovery, I dashed off to my brass box and brought back a freezer bag full of spent .44 Mag shells. Threading the likely-looking die into the pliers and then sticking a shell in...

[Tom Hanks voice from Castaway]I have made fire![Tom Hanks voice from Castaway]

For a minute, I thought she literally made fire... while depriming a live primer...

txgho1911
December 20, 2005, 04:50 PM
I was wonderin if she's found a perfect load in anything? My best so far has been a cloverleaf with my 45-70 @ 100yds. Nothing from the factory has ever produced this and I am just hoping I can repeat it next time.

Berek
December 21, 2005, 02:02 AM
I was wonderin if she's found a perfect load in anything? My best so far has been a cloverleaf with my 45-70 @ 100yds. Nothing from the factory has ever produced this and I am just hoping I can repeat it next time.

I found the same thing in both .45-70 and .300WSM. Comparing 150 gr PP made by Winchester in .300WSM and my own loads and comparing 405 gr Winchester and my own for .45-70...

I wonder why???

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
Oops...

Tamara
December 25, 2005, 09:49 PM
It's been two years, how's the reloading going Tamara?

Reloaded scads of .38 for about a year, but haven't pulled a lever since I started working at CCA, mostly due to time demands.

My recent acquisition of a Model 53 in .22 Remington Jet was quickly followed by the purchase of a set of dies in the caliber, as well as a bunch of bullets, however, so reloading will likely resume here in the near future...

mtnbkr
December 26, 2005, 11:08 AM
Cool. I stumbled upon this thread while looking for some reloading data. I remembered reading it when you started it 2 years ago. :)

These days, if the factory ammo costs more than $5/box, I reload it. Well, except for my 30-30 Contender. I haven't gotten around to buying the dies yet.

Chris

The Bushmaster
December 26, 2005, 04:18 PM
With almost 10,000 posts on THR. How come I feel one of my legs getting longer...:D

Playing around on this site and a moderator to boot and you are just starting to reload? With all due respect for all women with firearms. I'm glad I have my old brown boots on...:)

mtnbkr
December 26, 2005, 07:18 PM
Playing around on this site and a moderator to boot and you are just starting to reload?
It's possible. I've known people that shot for years, even in competition and never reloaded. Then there are folks like me who started reloading as soon as I got my first centerfire gun.

Chris

The Bushmaster
December 26, 2005, 08:08 PM
mtnbkr...I understand what (wait a minute whilst I pull my boot out of this muck) you are saying. It just struck as odd to be aligned with a reloading forum and not roll your own...:D

caz223
December 27, 2005, 03:52 PM
The problems is, that she spent all her time posting, and not enough time reloading.
I've been guilty of that, and many other priority malfunctions.
I think I'll go clean out the garage, I've been posting too much lately.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh... oh, wow!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!