Why are the short barrels priced higher?

PDA

ClemBert
April 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
Curious as to the rational behind the higher pricing at Cabelas for short barreled revolvers versus long barreled revolvers. Typically, supply vs demand dictates pricing. I would think that on average most folks would prefer the longer barreled version.

Normal price: $269http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_217168_imageset_01?$main-Medium$
Normal price: $239http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_210080_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

Normal price: $419http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_216628_imageset_01?$main-Medium$
Normal price: $359http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_210084_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are the short barrels priced higher?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TomADC
April 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
Because they look cooler :D
Actually great question...

mykeal
April 21, 2010, 11:46 PM
Because, on average, more people actually want the short barrel version?

Demand drives prices up.

sonier
April 22, 2010, 12:32 AM
give me the short barrel and make it cheaper lol thats not fair lol i like the 5 inch barrels but the long ones id guess 8 inch ones are fun as well, i have a 1851 navy with long barrel, but youd think itd be cheaper you know less material too make the shortie lol but oh well

Hawkeye748
April 22, 2010, 12:47 AM
Long barrels, more demand. (Even true with originals 150 years ago) Shorter, less demand. Ergo, more competition for fewer pieces. Equals higher prices. MFG loses the economy of scale,(more product to spread cost). As such each piece costs more to produce.

scythefwd
April 22, 2010, 01:12 AM
Because there is 1 extra machining step to make the short barrels. It makes the most sense to just cut all the barrels to the same length, and then cut / recrown the shorter barrels after they are already "finished". The reason behind this logic is that they only have to setup the equipment to bore 1 length of barrel and to rifle 1 length of barrel.

mykeal
April 22, 2010, 08:19 AM
Long barrels, more demand. Shorter, less demand. Ergo, more competition for fewer pieces. Equals higher prices.

Huh???

Something missing here.

Demand for shorter barrels is lower, thus there's more competition? How does that work? I can see there being more competition if supply is lower, but not with lower demand. Lower demand means there's fewer people who want the available supply; with fewer people wanting something, there's less competition, not more.

I think you got your definitions mixed up.

StrawHat
April 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
scythefwd

Because there is 1 extra machining step to make the short barrels. It makes the most sense to just cut all the barrels to the same length, and then cut / recrown the shorter barrels after they are already "finished". The reason behind this logic is that they only have to setup the equipment to bore 1 length of barrel and to rifle 1 length of barrel.

That would be my guess. Any variation from the "standard" results in higher price.

CraigC
April 22, 2010, 01:08 PM
The shorter barrels are less desireable (not for me!) thus there are shorter, smaller production runs. Smaller production runs ALWAYS equal higher prices. That said, there is nothing that points and balances as well for me as a 5" 1860. Not even the grand 4" Single Action Army.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsii/large/1860qus%20-%20003.JPG

scrat
April 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
supply and demand

Bluehawk
April 24, 2010, 10:50 PM
What's the beef...it's only 10 bucks difference when they are on sale...like right now!!!!!!
(Not only do they have to machine the barrel shorter but it requires a shorter loading lever as well!)

7.62 Nato
April 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
I usually find that whatever I'm interested in will have the higher price.

Old Cannonballs
April 26, 2010, 05:30 PM
In addition to higher production costs and factors pertaining to supply and demand, there is also the old nostrum about whatever the market will bear. Most people prefer the longer barrels, but those who prefer shorter ones are generally willing to pay more for them.

RyanM
April 26, 2010, 05:49 PM

Barrel blanks are typically 24" to 30", then they get cut down to whatever length is desired, and usually lathe-turned to the desired thickness (or they're probably turned and then cut, that would make more sense). I really doubt that BP revolver barrels start out any shorter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are the short barrels priced higher?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!